Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 11:01 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times

Advertisements

My mom had two best friends when I was growing up, a neighbor from Gloucester MA, and a friend from rural northern Georgia. Them getting together was hysterical. The bluntness of Mass and the sugary sweetness of Georgia. Both were nice in their own way, but it was such a weird culture shock seeing them interact. I don’t think they knew how to handle the other. My mom (who grew up mostly in NC, but lived for stretches in NY and Cali) could connect to either fairly well. There is a balance in practicality and warmness better found in-between to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 11:51 AM

184 posts, read 315,997 times
GoFundMe's Most Generous Cities 2021

Number of Donations Per Capita, Population >50,000

1) Spring, TX
2) Marietta, GA
3) Silver Spring, MD
4) Miami, FL
5) Alpharetta, GA
6) Fort Lauderdale, FL
7) Minneapolis, MN
8) Olympia, WA
9) Sarasota, FL
10) Bradenton, FL

https://www.gofundme.com/c/gofundme-giving-report-2021

-----------------------------------------------------------

GoFundMe's Most Generous Cities 2022

Number of Donations Per Capita, Population >50,000

1) Marietta, GA
2) Spring, TX
3) Silver Spring, MD
4) Sarasota, FL
5) Bradenton, FL
6) Olympia, WA
7) Alpharetta, GA
8) Miami, FL
9) Fort Myers, FL
10) Minneapolis, MN

https://www.gofundme.com/c/gofundme-2022-year-in-help

Old 04-07-2023, 12:05 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,722 times
I think in everywhere you go in the world, you usually get what you give. People will generally interact with you based on how you interact with them. I live in an area that's not typically known for being warm and fuzzy and I have mostly positive interactions with people on a daily basis.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:11 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Don't see much value in this kind of 'report'. There can be many reasons for a number of these things that have nothing to do with being 'friendly'. Membership in organizations can be more common in certain ethnic groups where religion and ethnic festivals play a big role and as a result the neighborhoods and cities where such groups cluster will have much higher density of membership in civic organizations. Formal volunteering and charity 'gifting' can also be highly political and part of polishing one's social credentials..again more relevant in some circles than others (extremely relevant in the D.C. area where many move in political circles, are highly ambitious and social standing can be seen as very important).

Old 04-07-2023, 12:25 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This honestly doesn't come as any surprise to me having lived in the Top 2 areas. Just very solid people that are loyal to their community.

Boston and Philadelphia should be more well-known for their legitimately kind and "communitarian" populations, but unfortunately a reputation for Northeastern bluntness/rudeness precedes them.
I've never met a Bostonian I didn't like. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I've ever met a single Philadelphian (if I did, I wasn't aware that the person in question was from Philly), so I haven't had the opportunity to judge there. But having been to Boston six times in my life and around Bostonians on still other occasions, I've been left with a great impression of the small sample of the population I've interacted with

Old 04-07-2023, 12:38 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Interestingly, however, New York City, sandwiched in between Boston and Philadelphia, trails both mightily. I wonder what the explanation of this could be, again, assuming these metrics are to be believed.
I find a lot of recent NYC Transplants to be ingenuine, especially Manhattan and North Brooklyn.

But I still find a lot of New Yorkers are pretty genuine... I don't know what gives on this survey.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I've never met a Bostonian I didn't like. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I've ever met a single Philadelphian (if I did, I wasn't aware that the person in question was from Philly), so I haven't had the opportunity to judge there. But having been to Boston six times in my life and around Bostonians on still other occasions, I've been left with a great impression of the small sample of the population I've interacted with
Its funny, I never met someone from Buffalo I didn't like either. lol.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:41 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Not surprising. Bostonians are nice when you actually talk to us beyond a surface level. At times they can be almost too eager to make your problem heir own and devise solutions.

Philadelphians are cool- I dont know them well enough to say much more. I know they ca get pretty aggressive (from experience), but I understand that s not their default.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not surprising. Bostonians are nice when you actually talk to us beyond a surface level. At times they can be almost too eager to make your problem heir own and devise solutions.

Philadelphians are cool- I dont know them well enough to say much more. I know they ca get pretty aggressive (from experience), but I understand that s not their default.
Philadelphians are super down to earth and have a lot of pride. They'll make your problem theirs too.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:44 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its funny, I never met someone from Buffalo I didn't like either. lol.
I certainly have...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.