Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 06:45 PM

327 posts, read 222,013 times

Advertisements

In my experience, people from the Northeast are usually more inclined towards communitarianism than people in, say, California or Texas because cities and towns in the Northeast are usually smaller (in terms of both geography and population) and ethnically or racially homogenous, the latter of which inherently increases social capital.

Unsurprisingly, it is rather common for people in the urban Northeast to be friendlier to and more open with people who are from the same ethnic and/or religious background (e.g., Jewish, Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, etc.), but colder and more distant with people who are perceived as being different.

As another poster alluded upthread, people who are somewhat tribal in their social affiliations are more inclined to join and participate in organizations that are either loosely or heavily based on ethnicity and/or religion (e.g., Knights of Columbus).

This phenomenon may make cities, such as Boston and Philadelphia, for example, seem “friendlier” on paper than they actually are in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 08:28 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Interestingly, however, New York City, sandwiched in between Boston and Philadelphia, trails both mightily. I wonder what the explanation of this could be, again, assuming these metrics are to be believed.
A much more transient population in NYC than the other two. Bet if you broke it down by borough, you'd see different results.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:02 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
A much more transient population in NYC than the other two. Bet if you broke it down by borough, you'd see different results.
I think I know where you are going with this. Outer Boroughs (minus some trendy areas in Brooklyn) more genuine. I last lived in the NYC area just after 9/11/2001 and haven't lived there since. In the 1990s, Manhattan had many native New Yorkers. It's my understanding that isn't the case any longer.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:49 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
In my experience, people from the Northeast are usually more inclined towards communitarianism than people in, say, California or Texas because cities and towns in the Northeast are usually smaller (in terms of both geography and population) and ethnically or racially homogenous, the latter of which inherently increases social capital.

Unsurprisingly, it is rather common for people in the urban Northeast to be friendlier to and more open with people who are from the same ethnic and/or religious background (e.g., Jewish, Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, etc.), but colder and more distant with people who are perceived as being different.

As another poster alluded upthread, people who are somewhat tribal in their social affiliations are more inclined to join and participate in organizations that are either loosely or heavily based on ethnicity and/or religion (e.g., Knights of Columbus).

This phenomenon may make cities, such as Boston and Philadelphia, for example, seem “friendlier” on paper than they actually are in real life.
I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:57 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
Bologna. Come back next month and see if those people are still kind.

Southerners are welcoming, for the length of time it takes to ask what church you go to.

Old 04-08-2023, 06:05 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
When commenting on a thread it’s useful to read the original starter post first. The “friendliness” referenced by the author appears to be due to how the local government shares information and how likely locals are to volunteer in their community.

Comments based only on the thread title do track another aspect of living in the area but it is worthy of a separate discussion. One-on-one friendliness. That can involve smiling or otherwise acknowledging people you pass on the street. Another level is sharing deep secrets with people you barely know but assume you have underlying similarities that will put it in perspective.

It’s easy to accept other cultures but we get “involved” most with people like ourselves as some earlier posters have suggested.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:17 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I certainly have...lol
lol I went to a SUNY near Syracuse and Buffalo people, for the most part, were nice and genuine.

I think Buffalo is underrated for what it is. If the Pats didn't exist, I wold be a Bills fan.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:22 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think I know where you are going with this. Outer Boroughs (minus some trendy areas in Brooklyn) more genuine. I last lived in the NYC area just after 9/11/2001 and haven't lived there since. In the 1990s, Manhattan had many native New Yorkers. It's my understanding that isn't the case any longer.
This is pretty accurate. Once Tech came in the mid 00s to Manhattan, the city kind of became Sterile and 'trendy'. Therefore, less genuine. But you go out to South Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx .. its pretty genuine IMHO. But its happening in Boston too. Not so much Philly.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:30 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
lol I went to a SUNY near Syracuse and Buffalo people, for the most part, were nice and genuine.

I think Buffalo is underrated for what it is. If the Pats didn't exist, I wold be a Jets fan.
fify

Old 04-08-2023, 10:45 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Comments based only on the thread title do track another aspect of living in the area but it is worthy of a separate discussion. One-on-one friendliness. That can involve smiling or otherwise acknowledging people you pass on the street. Another level is sharing deep secrets with people you barely know but assume you have underlying similarities that will put it in perspective.
But the study does in fact capture this, as in how likely people in a given city/region are to truly engage/do small favors for their neighbors. That was one of the measures studied.

That's not the same as charitable giving, volunteering to plant trees at a local park, or even saying "hello" on the street.

Neighborliness involves a lot more social nuance. And no, I don't agree that has to involve racial or cultural considerations--neighborliness as a concept is universal (or at least should be).

Last edited by Duderino; 04-08-2023 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.