Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 09:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 2,673,911 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing this on socials lately, I found it interesting but would love to see the feedback on here and see what people who live in these respective cities think.

Civic engagement is a very important role in society, and nothing is better than a city having a culture of giving back, volunteering and giving back to others in need. The article also has states and incomes listed, but I wanted to focus primarily on cities.

Most helpful big metros in America
12 major metro areas ranked by two measures of civic engagement, 2021

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...elpful-cities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 09:40 AM

14,038 posts, read 15,061,559 times
Visitors see politeness not kindness

Old 04-07-2023, 09:47 AM

12,192 posts, read 8,062,626 times
Very true. Philadelphia and Boston are humble and kind. Down to earth, cutting edge people.

I feel Jersey is too.. but Jersey isnt a city.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:55 AM

9,931 posts, read 6,643,685 times
I certainly agree that peoples perception of where is and isn’t friendly is very flawed.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:08 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,823,821 times
Too bad it's behind a paywall. I would have loved to have read methodology, sources, methods, etc. I'm not going to pay for something that should be free, but very interesting numbers, if true. Morale of any story though: there's a-holes everywhere. You just have to know how to pick your battles.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:15 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,617,411 times
This honestly doesn't come as any surprise to me having lived in the Top 2 areas. Just very solid people that are loyal to their community.

Boston and Philadelphia should be more well-known for their legitimately kind and "communitarian" populations, but unfortunately a reputation for Northeastern bluntness/rudeness precedes them.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:20 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This honestly doesn't come as any surprise to me having lived in the Top 2 areas. Just very solid people that are loyal to their community.

Boston and Philadelphia should be more well-known for their legitimately kind and "communitarian" populations, but unfortunately a reputation for Northeastern bluntness/rudeness precedes them.
Interestingly, however, New York City, sandwiched in between Boston and Philadelphia, trails both mightily. I wonder what the explanation of this could be, again, assuming these metrics are to be believed.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:25 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,617,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Interestingly, however, New York City, sandwiched in between Boston and Philadelphia, trails both mightily. I wonder what the explanation of this could be, again, assuming these metrics are to be believed.
Ya know, I've found native New Yorkers/NYC area folks can be just as legitimately kind as anyone in Boston and Philadelphia, but the region is just so chock full of transient domestic and international transplants, a lot of that "communitarianism" can get lost.

Not that Boston and Philadelphia don't get their share of transplants, and particularly international ones in Boston, the "communitarian" culture is still more deliberately maintained.

Chicago deserves mention here, too. I've definitely gotten kindness vibes from Chicagoans, but my experience there is not as in-depth.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:26 AM

10,093 posts, read 14,487,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I certainly agree that peoples perception of where is and isn’t friendly is very flawed.
Completely agree.

Smaller towns and rural areas have some very unfriendly and unhospitable folks in general.

My theory is that many small town and rural type folks choose to not engage with many people on a daily basis, and are not accustomed to having to be kind or friendly to strangers. And they look at strangers as trespassing, so-to-speak.

That's why they live in rural areas and small towns--to not run into or have to deal with many people.

On the flip side, city folk are accustomed to people everyday, and have to acclimate and adjust accordingly.

Old 04-07-2023, 10:32 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,235,890 times
If you're from here, you know. This is something I love about Philadelphia, and one of many reasons why I decided to stay in the city after college despite spending my entire life in the area.

This list is also representative of why I don't take people--both people who aren't from the Northeast and disgruntled suburbanites with jaded views of the city despite not having visited since before I was born (1995)--seriously when they accuse people from Northeastern cities of being rude. The pace of life is faster, we have places to get to, we mind our own business, and we don't go out of our way to say hi to a random person on the street, but we will do whatever we can to help if asked. I'd much rather take the Northeastern attitude over "Southern Hospitality", "Midwest Nice", or the way that pleasantry is portrayed on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.