Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2023, 04:53 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Drake did a lot to impact this perspective
Lmao yeah in a bad way. Houdini is the only one who did something meaningful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 06:18 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Before Drake I only heard of Toronto in a 2005 Ludacris song where he mentioned Caribana.

Drake put Toronto on the hip hop map. That's how millions of young Americans relate to Toronto... through people like Party Next Door, Weekend, Kardinal Offishal, Tory Lanez, Roy Woods, Honey Cocaine, Majid Jordan, Jazz Cartier, NAV, even Melyssa Ford and Deborah Cox. All hip-hop people/stars.

Houdini is from Canada?

Old 05-12-2023, 06:23 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
So did he steal her right in front of you? I'd probably hate clubs too, if that was the case.
I have to admit this made me laugh out loud. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Absolutely positively not. Houdini does not have the star power Drake does

Old 05-12-2023, 06:36 PM

I see these as the primary causes, most of which pre-date the pandemic.

1. High real estate cost annihilating club/entertainment districts in central cities. Popular nightclubs in most cities have been replaced by condos and commercial buildings. There are fewer places today that can hold 500-1,000 revelers compared to the late 90s/early 00s.

2. Social media causing everyone to stare at screens all night.

3. Today's music is not really made for dancing. The early to mid 00s was probably the golden era of the club banger.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:09 PM

I think you would see more people dancing in bars/clubs if the music had this type of rhythm with a touch of feminine energy to it. This was engineered to get people on the dance floor. Today's music is engineered to get people excited, but not necessarily dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2_E62NY3hg

Old 05-12-2023, 08:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Before Drake I only heard of Toronto in a 2005 Ludacris song where he mentioned Caribana.

Drake put Toronto on the hip hop map. That's how millions of young Americans relate to Toronto... through people like Party Next Door, Weekend, Kardinal Offishal, Tory Lanez, Roy Woods, Honey Cocaine, Majid Jordan, Jazz Cartier, NAV, even Melyssa Ford and Deborah Cox. All hip-hop people/stars.

Houdini is from Canada?
Drake didn't put Toronto on anything. In hip-hop the hood is what is relevant. Nobody cares where Drake is from because he's corny. This is why I mentioned Houdini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Absolutely positively not. Houdini does not have the star power Drake does
Star power isn't relevant when talking about hip-hop. Boosie isn't the face of BR because he's famous...

Old 05-12-2023, 09:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Drake didn't put Toronto on anything. In hip-hop the hood is what is relevant. Nobody cares where Drake is from because he's corny. This is why I mentioned Houdini.

Star power isn't relevant when talking about hip-hop. Boosie isn't the face of BR because he's famous...
The problem is that the average person doesn’t listen to Boosie or Houdini. You can dislike Drake all you want, that doesn’t affect his popularity or the impact he has. People know he’s from Toronto and he’s one of the most well known musicians (let alone rappers) worldwide. Drake absolutely gave the world a perspective of blacks in Canada much more than Houdini did.

Lil Wayne doesn’t have the same status as Boosie; but Wayne’s audience goes way beyond that Boosie did. Same as Bun B vs Travis Scott. Bun B’s music is more representative of traditional Houston music but Travis (and also Drake) had a wider audience that showcased HOU. Same as Twista vs Kanye West for Chicago.

And in Drake’s particular case, as BBMM mentioned, Drake was the center of a movement that he helped elevate. Which included Weeknd, T Lanes etc

Old 05-12-2023, 11:31 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Caribana is not just any "large festival bro" Idk how it is in Houston but many of my friends travel to Caribana. Its a very sexually charged and oriented festival (yes culture, but yea) of Carribean nations form all over the world. Draws well over a million visitors who stay in the city for about a week. Most states in the US (29) don't have legal weed, like- its not legal in Texas at all. And its the # of strip clubs around.

At least in the northeast, I meet lots of people who espouse Toronto and Montreal equally. Often times people are in Toronto for special events and that is when their bars are open till 4 am. Which led me to belive for years that was their last call. But apparently its 2 am most nights.
Toronto isn't that good (pretty boring for a city its size due to lack of consistency) - better nightlife in NYC, Miami, New Orleans, Savannah, Vegas, even Austin and Nashville.

Montreal is pretty good - different mindset about partying/alcohol among the Quebecois/Francophones. Other than that, Canada is pretty dull - much worse than the US when it comes to nightlife.

For Sydney, it was worse than Melbourne because the last conservative ("National/Liberal" in Australian parlance) state gov.'t (just recently voted out), imposed harsh restrictions on nightlife such as lockouts.

Melbourne is known for its cafe culture and has a really good tram network that facilitates adequate nightlife. It's Labor state government is more open to it as well.

Old 05-13-2023, 03:59 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I see these as the primary causes, most of which pre-date the pandemic.

1. High real estate cost annihilating club/entertainment districts in central cities. Popular nightclubs in most cities have been replaced by condos and commercial buildings. There are fewer places today that can hold 500-1,000 revelers compared to the late 90s/early 00s.

2. Social media causing everyone to stare at screens all night.

3. Today's music is not really made for dancing. The early to mid 00s was probably the golden era of the club banger.
The early-mid 90s were off the chain for wild and crazy nightlife in the US, at least compared to what we have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.