Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 05:18 PM

676 posts, read 408,406 times

Advertisements

Quite a few times, discussions surrounding where the most average place in the United States has been discussed on this forum, and it's not surprising. Not only is this a very engaging topic but it's also very relevant in trying to partially understand the current tumultous state the country is in.

Often though, I've noticed whenever the topic of 'Middle America' (a commonly used term for somewhere perfectly average in the country) is raised by geographers and sociologists, it is almost always discussed in a very broad sense, that is, people will usually just claim a region or state best represents the national average, and won't go any deeper than that.

Way back in 1924 however, husband-and-wife sociologists Robert and Helen Lynd conducted a series of research known as the Middletown studies, they found then that the purest distillation of somewhere archetypically American to be a mid-sized town in rural Indiana called "Muncie". Since then almost no major study on a topic as specific as this has been conducted, and in the 21st century, I don't personally think Muncie can still be seen as somewhere nearly as representative as not only was America more of a rural nation back then, but its local demographics have since become rather unique. Based on the past 4 years of extensive geographic research I personally have made on the United States, I believe if anywhere in the country is perfectly in the middle in terms of location, culture, climate, history, architecture, politics, linguistics, demographics and population density, it is a town/suburb 20 minutes east of downtown Kansas City, Missouri called "Independence".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence,_Missouri

Named after the Declaration of Independence and founded early in the nation's history in 1827, it is located just 5 hours east of the country's continental geographic center and 4 hours north of the mean center of the national population, and the town's perfectly middle location is only half of its story, as Independence has long been an innovator, an incubator, and a bellwether for the American experience.

The town first began to prosper through outfitting pioneers as they began the journey west on the Santa Fe, Oregon, and California Trails. The city then persisted through various travails that reflected the nation at large: a bloody war over slavery, fought between the Kansas Jayhawkers and the Missouri Bushwhackers; the rise of William Quantrill; the enforcement of the infamous Order No. 11; and Civil War action on the town square. By 1900 however, Independence was a prosperous community, the location of the Mormon headquarters of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (renamed the Community of Christ), and the hometown of a young man who became the 33rd president of the United States Harry S. Truman, and certainly no typical president by any means. A former WWI veteran and farmer - two traits shared by a vast number of twentieth century male Americans, Truman also made the decision to drop the atom bomb on Japan, desegregated the U.S. military and launched the “Truman Doctrine.” It’s impossible to imagine the United States without those interventions.

But having said all of this, what do you think? Is Independence, Missouri the ultimate American experience, or should this title belong to somewhere else? Let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC9WPdQ2-cM

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 05-26-2023 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 03:04 AM

374 posts, read 257,390 times
There are multiple locales that could be said to be the "representatives" for Middle America. Some of them are not very pleasant places. And history continues to be denied in many areas because it is considered "not pleasant". Nothing can be learned when you live in denial of facts. Eventually, it does catch up to you.

Old 05-27-2023, 05:53 AM

372 posts, read 203,197 times
Why try to find the "quintessential" Middle America? I've lived in 4 Midwestern states, and each one varied a lot from the others. I've had jobs with a 6 state Midwestern territory, and spent a lot of time driving through, and spending nights in different towns, cities, and states. I can tell you that small towns in each state, feel different from those in the adjoining state. Missouri is nothing like Wisconsin, nor is Kansas. Towns and cities all have a different feel...there really is no "quintessential" Middle America.

I've lived in Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin (some time spent in IL, as well). By far, Wisconsin is my favorite. Next to that, I love Omaha and Rapid City. Huge differences in all of these areas. People tend to think the Midwest is all the same...nothing could be farther from the truth.

Old 05-27-2023, 06:24 AM

27,174 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quintessential America to many is something out of a Norman Rockwell painting which isn't even reserved for the Midwest as many towns in the Northeast (and even Southeast) provide that Main Street feel with craftsman style homes featuring a front porch and American flag on display.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:34 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Peoria IL has been considered as a middle America model for decades. There is even the question "Will it play in Peoria?" to ask if something will be accepted in mainstream USA.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
There are multiple locales that could be said to be the "representatives" for Middle America. Some of them are not very pleasant places. And history continues to be denied in many areas because it is considered "not pleasant". Nothing can be learned when you live in denial of facts. Eventually, it does catch up to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
Why try to find the "quintessential" Middle America? I've lived in 4 Midwestern states, and each one varied a lot from the others. I've had jobs with a 6 state Midwestern territory, and spent a lot of time driving through, and spending nights in different towns, cities, and states. I can tell you that small towns in each state, feel different from those in the adjoining state. Missouri is nothing like Wisconsin, nor is Kansas. Towns and cities all have a different feel...there really is no "quintessential" Middle America.

I've lived in Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin (some time spent in IL, as well). By far, Wisconsin is my favorite. Next to that, I love Omaha and Rapid City. Huge differences in all of these areas. People tend to think the Midwest is all the same...nothing could be farther from the truth.
I agree, the Lower Midwest as a whole historically has been the bedrock for the average American experience. But I firmly believe Independence, MO triumphs over anywhere else in representing Middle America. Not only is it Middle America culturally/metaphorically for the many points I raised, but literally as well being only 5 hours east of the geographic center of the contiguous United States, but also 4 hours northwest from what the 2020 census designates as the mean center of the US population in Wright County, Missouri, and once again think of Harry S. Truman, the town's most famous local. He was the president that ultimately shaped the "American century", ending WWII with the use of nuclear weapons against a civilian population, desegregated the US Armed Forces paving the way for the Civil Rights Movement and launched the 'Truman Doctrine', which ultimately kickstarted the Cold War as we know it.

There's also a really good biographic movie about the president made in 1995 and starring Gary Sinise that's free on YouTube if anyone is interested;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKR4n0_YR7A

Old 05-27-2023, 10:17 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I agree, the Lower Midwest as a whole historically has been the bedrock for the average American experience. But I firmly believe Independence, MO triumphs over anywhere else in representing Middle America. Not only is it Middle America culturally/metaphorically for the many points I raised, but literally as well being only 5 hours east of the geographic center of the contiguous United States, but also 4 hours northwest from what the 2020 census designates as the mean center of the US population in Wright County, Missouri, and once again think of Harry S. Truman, the town's most famous local. He was the president that ultimately shaped the "American century", ending WWII with the use of nuclear weapons against a civilian population, desegregated the US Armed Forces paving the way for the Civil Rights Movement and launched the 'Truman Doctrine', which ultimately kickstarted the Cold War as we know it.

There's also a really good biographic movie about the president made in 1995 and starring Gary Sinise that's free on YouTube if anyone is interested;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKR4n0_YR7A
He also had to deal with these:

https://potus-geeks.livejournal.com/1523156.html

Old 05-27-2023, 10:43 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...ih=717&dpr=1.1

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...ih=717&dpr=1.1

https://www.google.com/search?q=madi...h=717&biw=1455

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceda...wQ0pQJegQIDBAB

Here are 3 cities (Milwaukee, Chicago and Madison, WI), that are nothing like Peoria or Independence. Cedarburg, WI (last picture) is exactly what someone would picture as "quintessential) Midwest. It's a Milwaukee suburb...I'm sure quite different than Independence, and I know quite different than Peoria. My point...there is not any city or town representative of the Midwest...it's too large a region.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...ih=717&dpr=1.1

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...ih=717&dpr=1.1

https://www.google.com/search?q=madi...h=717&biw=1455

https://www.google.com/search?q=ceda...wQ0pQJegQIDBAB

Here are 3 cities (Milwaukee, Chicago and Madison, WI), that are nothing like Peoria or Independence. Cedarburg, WI (last picture) is exactly what someone would picture as "quintessential) Midwest. It's a Milwaukee suburb...I'm sure quite different than Independence, and I know quite different than Peoria. My point...there is not any city or town representative of the Midwest...it's too large a region.
I said "Lower" Midwest. All those cities you listed above are Upper Midwest. The climate there is colder, accent more distinctive, politics more liberal and the economy historically was more industrial being situated on the Great Lakes.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
I said "Lower" Midwest. All those cities you listed above are Upper Midwest. The climate there is colder, accent more distinctive, politics more liberal and the economy historically was more industrial being situated on the Great Lakes.
I didn't see "Lower" Midwest in the initial post. Maybe I missed it. I only saw "Middle America", which to most, as they see no reason to differentiate, is the entire Midwest. If you lived on a coast, you would not differentiate...the Midwest is the Midwest. It's "flyover" country. The Great Lakes Region gets lumped into the Midwest, in the minds of those who "fly over."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.