Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Region with the most successful group of small Towns.
Mid-Atlantic 6 12.24%
New England 31 63.27%
South-East 7 14.29%
Lower Mid-West 1 2.04%
Upper Mid-West 7 14.29%
Great Plains 0 0%
South-West 0 0%
Mountain-West 2 4.08%
Pacific North-West 3 6.12%
California 5 10.20%
Texas 2 4.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 11:14 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times

Advertisements

We keep hearing about how small towns are dying. However for much of the U.S. This is not the overall case. Overall which region do you think has the most successful group of small towns away from major metro areas and under 50k population. Just basing this off economic growth, population growth, tourism growth and how well the downtown area is kept up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 02:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
New England. Vermont is virtually nothing but small towns and they're doing well, same with New Hampshire

Old 06-12-2023, 03:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Not region, but state.

Regions have NOTHING to do with successful towns. In Washington state, it has been the policy of the state government to literally destroy the economy in areas outside the Seattle metro-area.

That said....Montana.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:05 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
That said....Montana.
Montana is up there, I'd say Idaho maybe for #1. Eastern MT is kinda depopulating like the rest of the Great Plains.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:32 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
I lived in Idaho and worked quite a bit in Montana.

Montana. I don't think eastern Montana is depopulating. The oil shale boom changed all that.

BUT, really the mark of a successful community is NOT the luck of the draw. It is how the community deals with adversity. Southern Idaho has lots of successful communities. I am much less impressed with North Idaho.

Here is a link to a real story about a successful community in Idaho in North Idaho.

https://usbackroads.blogspot.com/201...ley-idaho.html

Old 06-13-2023, 07:05 AM

1,351 posts, read 897,465 times
There's a lot of really well kept and prosperous small towns in the Upper Midwest/eastern Great Plains.

Rural Minnesota, northern 2/3rds of Iowa, much of rural Wisconsin, and the eastern half of the Dakotas and Nebraska have a lot of small towns - especially the county seat towns - that are maintaining their population bases and even growing in some cases. Especially ones that are commutable to larger small cities.

What's interesting is that you don't have to go very far from there to see some really significant rural decline. The southern part of Iowa, most of rural Missouri, rural Illinois and rural Indiana seem to be doing quite a bit worse by comparison.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:44 AM

327 posts, read 222,937 times
The prosperity observed in the small towns of New England is not endogenous or homegrown, especially in New Hampshire and Vermont. If it wasn't for wealthy, part-time residents and yuppie tourists, many small towns in New England would be as prosperous as those in Pennsylvania or West Virginia. In fact, Vermont was one of the poorest states in the entire country before the advent of the interstate highway system. Because most of Maine is much farther away from Boston, Montreal, New York City, etc., its small towns have not experienced as much preservation and revitalization as those in New Hampshire, Vermont and western Massachusetts and, therefore, are good barometers of this phenomenon.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:56 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
The prosperity observed in the small towns of New England is not endogenous or homegrown, especially in New Hampshire and Vermont. If it wasn't for wealthy, part-time residents and yuppie tourists, many small towns in New England would be as prosperous as those in Pennsylvania or West Virginia. In fact, Vermont was one of the poorest states in the entire country before the advent of the interstate highway system. Because most of Maine is much farther away from Boston, Montreal, New York City, etc., its small towns have not experienced as much preservation and revitalization as those in New Hampshire, Vermont and western Massachusetts and, therefore, are good barometers of this phenomenon.
I've heard, that when adjusted for cost of living, interior Maine is the poorest area in the country. It's a little like California in that the coastal smaller towns are relatively prosperous, but in my travels to the interior areaas of Maine, it's a different ball of wax.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:08 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
To be honest, this is tough to answer, as you can have a mix in the same area, let alone state or national region.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've heard, that when adjusted for cost of living, interior Maine is the poorest area in the country. It's a little like California in that the coastal smaller towns are relatively prosperous, but in my travels to the interior areaas of Maine, it's a different ball of wax.
I agree with you about California – the non-coastal parts of the state have some of the most eye-opening, shocking rural poverty I've personally ever seen in the US.

Despite having a large population and highly powerful state economy, California as a whole is actually astonishingly impoverished in rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.