Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which coastal state has the most scenic interior?
Maine 21 31.34%
New Jersey 2 2.99%
North Carolina 23 34.33%
South Carolina 4 5.97%
Georgia 1 1.49%
Florida 2 2.99%
New Orleans 0 0%
Texas 2 2.99%
Virginia 12 17.91%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 06:22 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The poll choices were selected because they are big states with substantial coasts.

Even though New York is one of the first states people think of as coastal, excluding LI there just isn't much of a coast.
I get where you’re coming from, but New York has more coastline than both Georgia and Virginia on your list, and nearly the same as New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I'd actually give the crown to Pennsylvania, but I guess it's not "coastal enough"
Yeah, you kinda need to be on the coast to be considered coastal.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:29 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Yeah, you kinda need to be on the coast to be considered coastal.
Coastal doesn't have to mean the Atlantic though. According to the U.S. Government, Pennsylvania is a coastal state participating in the 'Coastal Zone Management Program.' It is a technicality though (hence my "coastal enough").

Old 06-12-2023, 07:16 PM

24 posts, read 25,510 times
This sort of poll reminds one that the eastern US there's not a whole lot to see outside of the coasts and cities. The Carolinas, Viriginia and Georgia etc. outside of Appalachia, what can you really see? Your in the woods the whole time. It'll be the same view for hundreds of miles. Anyone's who's driven I-95 knows what I'm talking about.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Coastal doesn't have to mean the Atlantic though. According to the U.S. Government, Pennsylvania is a coastal state participating in the 'Coastal Zone Management Program.' It is a technicality though (hence my "coastal enough").
“Zone” being the key word in “coastal zone management program”. There is ZERO coastline in the state of Pennsylvania.

*since the Great Lakes States are included in this program I guess we can count the sliver along Lake Erie for Pennsylvania. Still irrelevant for this thread

Last edited by TacoSoup; 06-12-2023 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-12-2023, 07:39 PM

467 posts, read 426,887 times
Quote:
Between Outer Banks and Hickory in NC is just flat, with the historic towns quite sparse (Winston-Salem, Mount Airy, Chapel Hill).
That's just false...

The Piedmont of NC is rolling hills, not much different from Virginia's. You're making it seem like the non-coastal plain and non-mountainous areas of the two states are more drastically different than they actually are. The area bounded on one side by a line that runs roughly from Hickory through Roanoke to Charlottesville and on the other by 95 is pretty uniform. Looking at any topographic map alone is enough to confirm this.

It's true that the Piedmont and coastal plain cover a greater percentage of NC than VA and vice versa for mountains. So if you want to make the case that VA is more scenic on average, I ain't gonna fault you. But the highs of NC (and quite literally so) are higher, and more spectacular, than VA imo.

Even within the Piedmont, though-- does Virginia have something like Eno, Umstead, or Raven Rock state park?

Old 06-12-2023, 09:34 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
It’s certainly not Florida. It’s not listed, but New York gets my vote.

Yeah, it's not listed and I guess I can see why given the coast isn't contiguous with much of the interior. But, it's very scenic almost throughout the entire state. Two Great Lakes, the St Lawrence River/thousands islands, and Lake Champlain form natural water boundaries. Most of the state is the Appalachian Plateau hill country with the mountains of the Catskills and Adirondacks providing more dramatic relief (by eastern standards). The Hudson Valley, Finger Lakes along with several other glacial lakes and rivers dot the interior of the state. The countryside is a mix of forest and rolling farmland to provide variety on drives. The only real flat area is along the 30 miles stretch of low lands south of lake Ontario. But, even then you have drumlin fields, kettle lakes, the Erie Canal, Lake Ontario with its bluffs and bays, and Niagara Falls and Gorge.

Last edited by jpdivola; 06-12-2023 at 10:01 PM..

Old 06-12-2023, 10:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Don't underestimate Florisa. The whole interior of the Panhandle. Peninsular Florida, on any sand road through the hammocks.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:27 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
I love NC’s interior landscape so I voted for it. Maine is really nice too. GA also had some beautiful interior areas to the north once you go past Atlanta. VA also has a decent interior landscape. TX has a few highs but a lot of it is also plain too.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:26 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Ah yes, the beautiful coastal state of Indiana lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.