Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 PM

478 posts, read 809,390 times

Advertisements

I went on a hiking trip to Oklahoma last weekend, coming from east coast. Went to the Wichita mountains in the southwestern part of the state, checked out some lower elevation grassland areas, looked at stars at night. The state was pretty, and I really enjoyed my visit. My friend told me that eastern OK is very pretty too. I think that many outdoorsy friends I know don't give the plains enough credit for their scenic beauty.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,979,592 times
lets keep it that way, ok?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:57 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,670 times
It is overall a fairly hilly state, but has a reputation as a flat state. Lots of variation.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
I don't get to take long distance drives often but really enjoy them. This state is green and hilly and there are some awesome views of the sky. And if you have a car and the time you can see it within a day. Of course, when you say this on the California forum everyone brings up Yosemite. Yes, its spectacular but lived there most of my life and never got there.

Coming from mega miles of suburban sprawl, this state if quite beautiful. When I hear about how OKC is expanding with suburbs I remember back when Los Angeles was smaller and quieter and hope it doesn't get out of hand here.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
My oldest granddaughter had expansive notions about California and when she married, they headed west. In less than a year they were back in Oklahoma, but the sugar plums still danced in her head, so later they tried it again. It still fizzled. Back to their home state to stay and live happily ever after. Two of their four children have graduated college and one will do so in May. The last one is in high school. None have ever been in trouble and are very family oriented. It impresses me because I always wanted to be away from my parents.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:47 AM

111 posts, read 157,389 times
Lived in eastern Oklahoma working cattle,cuttng and baling hay.Was about 50 miles from Fort Smith.It was rite hilly.A real nice place.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:45 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
OK ftom my perch is two states. The eastern half is dominated by Tulsa, the city considered by some as the Art Capital of Oklahoma. It is green and heavily forested with high rolling hills, tall cliffs, massive lakes and beautiful parks. The western border of the 50,000 acre Ozark Mountain Range nearly reaches Tulsa

The western half of OK is dominated by OKC. You are just as likely to find red earth, and miles of pumpjacks and sand as you approach the ancient mountains and the entrance to Western United States.

OK is okay, and she is one of our unique states. It is very easy to experience both by driving exclusively on I-44 and thence I-40 from Joplin Missouri to Shamroick Texas, If you want to see a slightly different, return on I-40 East to US 59 (near Ft. Smith) and thence turn North to Grove,OK and Grand Lake. It is a gentle climg through he foothills of the Ozark mountains that is absolutely gorgeous.

Aside. I-70 in Arkansas is not very far east of the intersection of I-40 and US 59. It will guide you through tree different mountain ranges between Hot Springs and I-44 ouside of Carthage MO.

This is the area where the first inland shot of the Civil War was fired and it was hotly contested between Pea Ridge, AR, Carthage, MO, Wilson's Creeki at Republic, MO and Springrield, MO. The last General to stand down his troop after the war ended was Stand Wattie, a Cherokee man whose grave is near Grove.

To those who really want to understand the war, do begin at the battlefield in Carthage where the first shot was fired. There are two cemeteries in Carthage dedicated to that war. One is for those who fought for the North and the other is for those who fought for the South. The National Cemetery in Springfield, MO is for soldiers from all wars. It too has CW casualties. The battlefields at Pea Ridge and Wilsons Creek are primarily drive.

Preobably one of the more interesting days I spent was between Eureka Springs (built on the top of one of Ozark mountain peeks), andWAr Eagle, It is a very small enclave in the bed of mountain where one finds a small grist mill on a tiny stream. The grinding stone is 0ver 200 years old and was imported from Europe. It is the place to buy fresh flour and learn.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:48 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,801 times
When I was working up in the NE USA most folks up there though we were a desert. They thought of us as being like the Outback. When I would tell folks up there I was from Oklahoma they would say "You must feel like you're in Heaven with all our hills and trees" I would say "I sure do, because it looks just like Oklahoma! They thought I was joking until I showed them pictures on my phone.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:45 AM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
When I was working up in the NE USA most folks up there though we were a desert. They thought of us as being like the Outback. When I would tell folks up there I was from Oklahoma they would say "You must feel like you're in Heaven with all our hills and trees" I would say "I sure do, because it looks just like Oklahoma! They thought I was joking until I showed them pictures on my phone.
I've always maintained that when out of staters picture Oklahoma in their minds they are actually seeing west Texas.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:36 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,979,592 times
When you get the chance, take some pictures of the caprock/Llano area around Midland or Lubbock.......then show those to folks from NE and Cali........maybe they will stay home and leave us alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma