Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which coastal state has the most scenic interior?
Maine 21 31.34%
New Jersey 2 2.99%
North Carolina 23 34.33%
South Carolina 4 5.97%
Georgia 1 1.49%
Florida 2 2.99%
New Orleans 0 0%
Texas 2 2.99%
Virginia 12 17.91%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 05:56 PM

914 posts, read 560,866 times

Advertisements

My favorite interior of the Northeast is easily the Adirondack Park. (It's roughly the size of Vermont.) It's the jewel in the crown of the Empire State.

And while I'd prefer to beach in NC over ME, the scenic variety of the ME coast IMO has no peer from South Padre Island TX to New Castle NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 07:22 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times
Can anyone familiar with Maine/NC interior post some non-stock/mainstream photos of what the typical interior looks like?

Want to get an idea of what the top two are working with.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I picked Maine based on the abundance of natural lakes formed by glaciers, with Moosehead Lake in particular being an impressive standout and also the rugged peaks and terrain of mighty Mt. Katahdin. If New York were on the poll then it would probably beat out Maine as it also has a plethora of natural lakes paired with the high peaks of the Adirondacks and great lakes shoreline.
I didn't even realize lakes were a feature for Maine. I did see that there are 5000+ foot mountain peaks, which is pretty elite for the east coast.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s Maine and it’s not particularly close IMO.

Mostly cause the SE all has vast coastal Plains that make most of those states quite boring.

Maine also has lakes that are largely lacking south of New York on the eastern seaboard.

Also kahtadin is the only true Alpine environment in any of those states.
This is what I"m getting just from skimming photos.

Of course those are curated, edited photos (a good photographer/editor can make a cornfield look stunning), but Maine does seem to have a lake/rolling hill/mountain-scape thing going with a broad palette of colors.

Old 06-13-2023, 07:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
I'd say North Carolina. It's one of the most well-rounded states in terms of mountains and beaches. Virginia is another contender, but it's natural offerings seem to be overshadowed by North Carolina.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:10 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
This is obviously a subjective topic. But, I'm surprised Maine isn't winning this poll. NC has beautiful mountains, but they are a long long way from the coast. From a practical standpoint, it would be hard to do a daytrip from the mountains to the ocean.

Most of the eastern 2/3 is pretty typical countryside. Forested with flat to rolling topography. Not ugly. But, just not a lot of areas that I would rate as super scenic. Maybe the hills of the Uwharrie Mountains region and a couple river cascades here and there. But, I tend to think Maine is more consistently pretty with its natural lakes with clear blue water and greater mountain coverage.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:36 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Can anyone familiar with Maine/NC interior post some non-stock/mainstream photos of what the typical interior looks like?

Want to get an idea of what the top two are working with.
The only photos I can find of my own from Maine are coastal. These are stock but just to give you an idea on some of interior Maine's highlights -

Here's an aerial of Mt Kineo on the shores of Moosehead Lake -
https://visitmaine.com/things-to-do/...ng/mount-kineo
and some others..
https://hikinginmaine.blog/2019/07/2...r-rockwood-me/

The parts of Maine near the Quebec border are particularly rugged, wild, and remote wilderness with lots of lakes, waterfalls, mountains, and rivers that have outfitters for whitewater rafting.

The Knife Edge trail on Mt Katahdin is one of the most challenging mountain hikes in the East -
https://newengland.com/travel/maine/...rail-in-maine/

Old 06-14-2023, 11:18 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
This is obviously a subjective topic. But, I'm surprised Maine isn't winning this poll. NC has beautiful mountains, but they are a long long way from the coast. From a practical standpoint, it would be hard to do a daytrip from the mountains to the ocean.
One thing NC has going for it is that most of the population of the state lives in the Piedmont region, in Charlotte or in Raleigh-Durham. It's an easy day trip from that part of the state to either the mountains or the beaches. You are right though, if you live in the far western or eastern part of the state, going to the opposite side is less of a feasible day trip.

Old 06-14-2023, 01:29 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
It’s certainly not Florida. It’s not listed, but New York gets my vote.
There is nothing wrong with the interior of Florida, other than being a little too flat. It's very scenic. I would put it #2 on that list after Maine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upg59itdqFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHHt8HT4o8

Old 06-14-2023, 02:02 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There is nothing wrong with the interior of Florida, other than being a little too flat. It's very scenic. I would put it #2 on that list after Maine.
“A little too flat”? That’s a bit of an understatement. It’s the flattest state in the union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.