Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which coastal state has the most scenic interior?
Maine 21 31.34%
New Jersey 2 2.99%
North Carolina 23 34.33%
South Carolina 4 5.97%
Georgia 1 1.49%
Florida 2 2.99%
New Orleans 0 0%
Texas 2 2.99%
Virginia 12 17.91%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 02:16 PM

327 posts, read 221,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'd say North Carolina. It's one of the most well-rounded states in terms of mountains and beaches. Virginia is another contender, but it's natural offerings seem to be overshadowed by North Carolina.
To my surprise, North Carolina has a much flatter interior than most coastal states.

For example, Bay Minette, Alabama, which is approximately 20 miles away from Mobile Bay, has an average elevation of 269' above sea level. On the other hand, Smithfield, North Carolina, which is well over 100 miles away from the Atlantic Ocean coastline, is still less than 200' above sea level.

New York is fairly similar to Alabama in this regard. The average elevation of Rye Brook, New York is 249', despite being only 3-5 miles away from the Long Island Sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 03:07 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
To my surprise, North Carolina has a much flatter interior than most coastal states.

For example, Bay Minette, Alabama, which is approximately 20 miles away from Mobile Bay, has an average elevation of 269' above sea level. On the other hand, Smithfield, North Carolina, which is well over 100 miles away from the Atlantic Ocean coastline, is still less than 200' above sea level.

New York is fairly similar to Alabama in this regard. The average elevation of Rye Brook, New York is 249', despite being only 3-5 miles away from the Long Island Sound.
The coastal plains of the East Coast are continuous from the low country of SC all the way up to south Jersey and encompass most of the Delmarva peninsula. By contrast, it's interesting how hilly Connecticut gets pretty close to the shoreline with rugged New England granite features on the shoreline. The drive from Old Lyme to East Haddam goes from salt marsh to steep hills and waterfalls (Devils Hopyard) on a windy back road drive in 20 minutes.

Old 06-14-2023, 09:10 PM

467 posts, read 426,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post

Lol, you seem to be confusing elevation for topographic variation.

Denver sits what, a mile above sea level? It's flat. Pretty infamously so. On the contrary, Atlanta is less than a fifth of Denver's elevation, but noticeably hillier.

The Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plains are not nearly as different as you seem to be implying.

Also, "flatter interior than most coastal states" is just flat-out inaccurate... taking even a cursory glance at a topographic map, you're trying to claim that NC is flatter than NJ, Delaware, SC, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas?

Old 06-14-2023, 09:19 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
I’d have to go Maine, North Carolina, and Virginia in that order. But would understand if someone chose Georgia over Virginia in that third spot.

Old 06-14-2023, 09:25 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
“A little too flat”? That’s a bit of an understatement. It’s the flattest state in the union.
Pretty much everything east of the Rocky Mountains is flat. Including North Carolina which seems to be a favorite here.

Florida still has some nice lakes and forests.

Old 06-14-2023, 09:35 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Pretty much everything east of the Rocky Mountains is flat. Including North Carolina which seems to be a favorite here.

??

Are you familiar with West Virginia? Almost no part of that state is flat.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:37 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Ok, lol? You also picked the wrong state as the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi is in North Carolina.

I don’t doubt Florida has many nice inland lakes and forests (I’ve been to Big Cypress National Park, FWIW) but I’ll take my in-laws lake house in the Adirondacks over anything I’ve seen inland in Florida any day.

And while I’ve never been to North Carolina (or South Carolina), I’ve been to Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Georgia, and would take many of their interiors over Florida’s as well.

Old 06-15-2023, 05:58 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Ok, lol? You also picked the wrong state as the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi is in North Carolina.

I don’t doubt Florida has many nice inland lakes and forests (I’ve been to Big Cypress National Park, FWIW) but I’ll take my in-laws lake house in the Adirondacks over anything I’ve seen inland in Florida any day.

And while I’ve never been to North Carolina (or South Carolina), I’ve been to Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Georgia, and would take many of their interiors over Florida’s as well.
14 states are less flat then North Carolina including all in the Mountain West.

Flattest States [Updated May 2023]

Old 06-15-2023, 06:16 AM

8,479 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Virginia and Maine jump out to me. Virginia has some great mountain areas, foothills, lots of great corners to find. Maine is arguably the most wild state besides Alaska, and I’d love to go. Many of these other states have a lot to offer, but not to the extent of these two.

When did New Orleans become a state? Lmao.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:17 PM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I’d have to go Maine, North Carolina, and Virginia in that order. But would understand if someone chose Georgia over Virginia in that third spot.
Yeah, that would be my exact order as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.