Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 12:01 AM

828 posts, read 648,507 times

Advertisements

Cheyenne & Amarillo probably
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 06:51 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Gotta say Albuquerque for me.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:53 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't know who Sam Elliott is but Mexicans wear cowboy hats and boots even in big metros. I imagine San Antonio would qualify.
As far as I know the White Cowboy isn’t a myth but the Cowboy culture was t just a white American thing and there were many Black and even more Hispanic cowboys in Mexico. For some reason people tend to not realize how strongly Mexico influence and created portions of Cowboy culture.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:38 AM

963 posts, read 723,785 times
I would definitely vote El Paso for large cities. I was surprised how Western it felt in the week that I spent there in the mid 2000's. It helps that the terrain surrounding the city is very typically western. And agreed with the Mexican cowboy vibe - it is definitely a thing and definitely a big thing in El Paso.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:23 AM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
Whatever that means to you. To me it’s you see a lot of cowboy hats/boots and folks that sound like Sam Elliot. Maybe even an old school Wild West saloon here and there. Are the big metros to cosmopolitan now to fit that? Phoenix, Tucson, SLC, DFW, Houston, OKC, Tulsa, El Paso, ABQ, San Antonio, etc.
Some of those cities never fit that. Albuquerque and El Paso had a lot of caballeros and vaqueros, Tulsa is not west. To me a city that feels western is more diverse than cities in the east, all those you listed are that. But also the western cities still have a spanish influence that is obvious, likeparts of L.A., all of El Paso & Albuquerque. What you describe would be cities in Montana and North & South Dakota. (what city is SLC?) The only western influence DFW has nowadays is that is is close to Ft Worth. There are few Texans in DFW, mostly people who have moved from elswhere to get a decent job. (I worked for a large Texas tech company there and 1/3 of the people in that company were from Texas somewhere, the rest of us were from all over the U.S)

Old 08-09-2023, 11:25 AM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
As far as I know the White Cowboy isn’t a myth but the Cowboy culture was t just a white American thing and there were many Black and even more Hispanic cowboys in Mexico. For some reason people tend to not realize how strongly Mexico influence and created portions of Cowboy culture.
Not Mexico, Spain. The influence goes further back when the Spaniards invaded and colonized what is now called the SW U.S. and Mexico long before Mexico was a country.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
You may think this is crazy, but I say Las Vegas.

When I think of the Old Wild West, I think outlaws, drinking, gambling, guns, and girls. LV has plenty of all four and used to have lots of outlaws.

LV has that sort of anything goes, what happens hear stays here marketing strategy. That is what the Wild West was as portrayed in TV shows like Deadwood

Old 08-09-2023, 09:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Well cowboys are from Mexico originally. And yeah there are black cowboys in Louisiana and Mississippi too. I grew up wearing boots and cowboy hats as well.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:12 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
While I haven’t visited in several years, Paso Robles on California’s Central Coast felt pretty western to me.
As Teddy Roosevelt once wrote: "Once you are in California, you are west of the west." I thought that was a very profound comment.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:01 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
You may think this is crazy, but I say Las Vegas.

When I think of the Old Wild West, I think outlaws, drinking, gambling, guns, and girls. LV has plenty of all four and used to have lots of outlaws.

LV has that sort of anything goes, what happens hear stays here marketing strategy. That is what the Wild West was as portrayed in TV shows like Deadwood

Las Vegas became a thing when the Italian Mafia saw a bunch of lonely male Hoover Dam construction workers in the area and wanted to make a profit off their loneliness. Not Wild West to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.