Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 09:18 AM

30 posts, read 28,673 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I recently accepted a well-paying remote job ($80k a year, for reference) and can move anywhere in the US that I'd like. I've done a lot of research and narrowed down my options already but I'd love to hear suggestions so I can consider places I may not have thought of yet.

Here are the ideal criteria:

MUST-HAVES

1.) A true historic vibe; plentiful historic architecture and beauty; well-maintained [bonus points for a wealth of Victorian architecture]

2.) Robust community; plenty to get involved in

3.) Four seasons (a colorful, cool autumn is essential) but fairly mild winters (most important thing here is that there is plenty of sunshine even in the winter, but I also would prefer mild rather than heavy snow)

4.) Small towns and suburbs are perfectly fine but must be close to other towns/cities for plenty to do (I get bored easily)

5.) Relatively safe for a place its size

NICE-TO-HAVES

1.) Politically conservative or moderate (or, if liberal, not somewhere dominated by radical leftism--I grew up in California and am very much over that vibe)

2.) A college or university nearby

3.) Near a major body of water / beach

4.) Near a major airport

5.) Doesn't require a bridge to get to

------------------

Right now, the places that I think fit most of my criteria are:

-Williamsburg, VA (but maybe too liberal?)

-Newport, RI (but those bridges...)

-Providence, RI (but perhaps too liberal, too much crime, not well-maintained?)

-Greenwich, CT (but maybe not enough to do?)

-Cape May, NJ (but almost no rentals available)

-Jim Thorpe, PA (but maybe too small / not close enough to other places)

----------------

Any thoughts on my short list or other suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 11:19 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Based on your criteria, I'd suggest--

Western North Carolina - Boone, NC is a small, hip, nicely bustling college town close to ski slopes with a ton of character.
Also, check out small towns like Banner Elk, and of course, Asheville. Or, on the other end of the state, look at Wilmington, right on the coast. Also, politically, a "purple" state, that veers a bit more conservative, but changing.

Northern Georgia - Helen, GA has unique "German-like" architecture downtown and is super cute. Also, Woodstock, GA is a far northern Atlanta suburb with a cool downtown. Also, coastal Savannah is gorgeous, with amazing architecture. Politically, leaning blue/slight purple, with some big pockets of conservative still.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 07-13-2023 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-13-2023, 11:27 AM

212 posts, read 199,179 times
Cincinnati. Maybe a bit on the cloudy side, but everything else fits.

Old 07-13-2023, 11:34 AM

2,338 posts, read 2,286,565 times
Look into Port Townsend, WA. It may not be as good of fit as some of the east coast cities, but it’s probably one you hadn’t considered and really isn’t a bad match.

On the east coast, I think you’ve already got some great options! Newport, RI and the cities in Fairfield County, CT would be at the top of my list.

Portsmouth, NH isn’t a bad fit, but perhaps too far from Boston. Kennebunkport, ME is another nice one nearby.

Old 07-13-2023, 11:35 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Hampton Roads/Tidewater region of Virginia would meet your criteria best IMO. Though parts of it may require a bridge/tunnel. Wilmington NC would also be a maybe. Charleston SC maybe though their Summers are hot.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 07-13-2023 at 11:53 AM..

Old 07-13-2023, 11:55 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Cape May was one of the places that popped into my mind when I was reading your list. However, it's not all that close to a major airport. (The closest one, PHL, is at least 1.5 hours away, and involves crossing TWO major bridges.) Another possibility is Annapolis, MD. The architecture isn't Victorian like Cape May, but it's still historic and traditional. And it meets most of your other requirements. However, it might be more liberal than you're looking for. It's a generally safe place, but you do need to be aware that it has some unsafe public housing complexes mixed in. Several of them are located just to the south of Forest Drive. You'd never know they're there just by driving down that road, but be careful before choosing to live anywhere in proximity to that road.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:18 PM

8 posts, read 4,362 times
NY abso-freaking-lutely.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:05 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchooler67 View Post
NY abso-freaking-lutely.
80k is not really high enough to enjoy any of the major cities. Even for Houston it's just a little above average. In any case if you can work anywhere you are not limited to places where the jobs are. OP was on the right track by focusing on QOL factors.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:26 AM

1,070 posts, read 787,201 times
Boise checks all your must-haves and most of your nice-to-haves.

You can live very well here on $80k while still having enough buffer in your budget to actually do things. Like skiing, mountain biking, fly fishing, backpacking, camping, whitewater rafting/kayaking, etc. Tons of wilderness in all directions, amazing wild rivers. But there's also plenty to see and do in the city, with a great sense of community and lots of events. It's a university town, which adds to the mix.

Politically, the city is moderately Blue, esp compared to California. City leaders are more like old-school liberals with an emphasis on funding shared community resources (parks, library, policing, etc.) and there's a degree of accountability often not found in the more extreme parts of CA.

Historically, the downtown maintains some elements from being an outpost on the Oregon Trail and being at the crossroads to two mining areas (Idaho City and Silver City), but this is mixed with modern high-rises with lots of great shops and dining (e.g. check out 8th St). The historic districts of North End and Warm Springs are full of older homes from the late 19th to early 20th century. The Bench, to the south, is dominated by mid-20th century homes. West Boise is more 70s-90s. Further out in the burbs it's mostly newer cookie-cutter subdivisions, though Eagle and Meridian do retain some of their history in their small downtowns.

For its size, Boise is very safe. We do have crime here, but a very low rate overall. Our kids (10 and 12) roam the neighborhood on their own, and go shopping on their own with friends. There are few cities of this size we'd feel comfortable letting them do this.

We have a true four-season climate. Winter is not as cold or as long as many assume. SW Idaho is at a lower elevation than much of the rest of the state. The Northern Rockies to our north east block cold air masses from the plains, and we're in the rain shadow of the Owyhee and Blue Mountain ranges. This means relatively mild winter lows (usually the low 20s), more sun, and usually just enough snow to be fun. Summers are warm and dry. Boise is the City of Trees, which means wonderful Fall colors with cool overnight lows and mild warm days. Spring can't make up it's mind: some days it snows, or hails, or rains, or it's warm and sunny... sometimes all in the same day The seasons are distinct and they change quickly, which I love because as soon as I start getting tired of one season things start changing.

The Boise Airport isn't huge, but has decent connections with direct flights to most major western cities. A transfer is likely required to eastern and international destinations. BOI is a breeze, easy to get to, affordable parking, big enough without being a crush of people.

The one nice-to-have we don't have is a large body of water. But there are plenty of beaches if you don't mind lakes and rivers. Cold lakes and rivers are quite nice during our hot dry summers.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:12 PM

571 posts, read 276,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchooler67 View Post
NY abso-freaking-lutely.
He dôesnt want to cross bridges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.