Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 10:04 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times

Advertisements

Part of what I like about New Mexico is the sensory deprivation: the silence, no lights at night, the quick ability to get into to get into unpeopled space... especially when winter rolls around. Optimally, a person has the ability to alternate between sensory stimulation and sensory deprivation, so that you receive new ideas and information, then you can process those thoughts / experiences without interruption. Otherwise a person ends up over stimulated and anxious. Think about music, sometimes the pauses are the most powerful.

People are hyper focused on sight and taste, it's interesting to think about how the other senses are present in our day to day life, both pleasant and unpleasant, but don't receive as much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 10:35 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
^ Sure, there are great aspects to voids, silences, and non-sensory matters. There's a place for them. I don't think anyone is knocking those qualities. More variety and choice is a plus. But that's not what this specific thread is about.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:00 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Sure, there are great aspects to voids, silences, and non-sensory matters. There's a place for them. I don't think anyone is knocking those qualities. More variety and choice is a plus. But that's not what this specific thread is about.
The point is that more / overload isn't necessarily better, or else the feast turns into an assault on the senses. If you're enjoying eating your shrimp or listening to horses clatter or smelling the ocean breeze, you don't want blaring music and flashing lights. To really focus on the enjoyment of one sense you kind of have to turn out the others. Just how the brain works.

Old 08-05-2023, 01:15 AM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Colonial architecture in New Mexico will have some resemblance to 1000 year old traditional Pueblo construction due to the same techniques and materials being used. The exception will be churches, and there are many that date to the colonial period of New Spain. They may appear to be plain but robust on the outside but somewhat ornate inside. Another difference will be the fortress design used in the old haciendas and ranchitos built around interior placitas. The Spanish Governor’s Palace in Santa Fe dates to 1610.

The French Colonial architecture in Missouri was brought in from French Quebec.

Old 08-05-2023, 02:00 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
^^^^If you take a trip to New Mexico, your taste buds will enjoy the flavor of fresh roasted Hatch green (or sometimes red) chili peppers. They go good with almost any meal, and if I recall correctly are even shown on one of the recent versions of a NM license plate.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:37 AM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
An event rather than a place... I was recently invited by a friend to attend a Pueblo feast day. The Indian Pueblos have feast days associated with certain patron saints or various holidays. That was a “feast” with mounds of food, good friends, lively conversations, smells from the food sold by vendors and the horno ovens, and the community dancing in the Pueblo central plaza of several hundred people in ceremonial dress engaged in the dance movements in unison to an echoing drumbeat. The dance might be 500-1000 years old. It is hard to describe the experience except as a feast for the senses.

Events like professional football of baseball games, NASCAR, Balloon Fiesta, World Cup, maybe county/state fairs, etc. would also be sensory feasts.

Old 08-06-2023, 12:31 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Maybe I'm just being cynical, but my first thought was about places that are, uh, whatever the opposite of "feast" is for the senses. What popped into my mind was Chinatown in New York:

Sight -- an impossibly cramped, overcrowded environment, filled with signs that I can't read.

Sound -- loud urban cacophony, accompanied by crowds of people speaking in a language that I can't understand. And, no offense to Chinese speakers, but I find the language (Mandarin or Cantonese, I can't tell the difference) to sound unpleasant to my ears.

Smell -- overpowering aroma of Chinese food (most of which I don't like) mixed with the odor of garbage.

Taste -- I can taste the food just by walking past the restaurants, but since I don't like most Chinese food, I don't like the taste.

Chinatown definitely overwhelms my senses, so I suppose it qualifies for what the OP is discussing. But not in a good way, at all.

Incidentally, I can see what the OP means about Williamsburg. I'm not sure I would regard it as a "feast" for my senses, but I do find it to be a very pleasant, relaxing experience for all my senses.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:35 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,109,717 times
I used to live in Williamsburg. People keep mentioning Williamsburg as this great colonial sensory experience, but Colonial Williamsburg is a few square blocks in the middle of a modern tourist town. Cars are still allowed to drive through the area and park there (people fight for parking there on occasion). Busch Gardens amusement park is a couple miles away from Colonial Williamsburg. You can hear the rollercoaster induced screams for miles around the park. Golden Horseshoe and Kingsmill are huge golf resorts in town. Then Outlet Malls/shopping are still a viable trip-worthy event in Williamsburg on HWY 60. The Colonial park is great to visit and relax in from November to April, but during peak tourist months its and overcrowded nightmare of people making sure they 'experience' their colonial past for an afternoon before moving on to more active vacation activities.

Old 08-07-2023, 01:18 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
NYC is an assault on all the senses.
New Orleans is another one.

Other places are more a feast for 2-3 of them, but not all.

Sedona is an overwhelming feast for the eyes.

Any crowded beach is a feast for eyes, ears, smell and touch. Taste depends.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:39 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
An event rather than a place... I was recently invited by a friend to attend a Pueblo feast day. The Indian Pueblos have feast days associated with certain patron saints or various holidays. That was a “feast” with mounds of food, good friends, lively conversations, smells from the food sold by vendors and the horno ovens, and the community dancing in the Pueblo central plaza of several hundred people in ceremonial dress engaged in the dance movements in unison to an echoing drumbeat. The dance might be 500-1000 years old. It is hard to describe the experience except as a feast for the senses.

Events like professional football of baseball games, NASCAR, Balloon Fiesta, World Cup, maybe county/state fairs, etc. would also be sensory feasts.
What kind of food do they have at those Pueblo feasts? Green chile, fry bread or something more exotic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.