Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 02:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I enjoyed my time in VA...of course if you're college age you're probably going to want something more diverse.
I'm 40 lol. I can deal with a slower pace of life but this is a poor city of 42K wanting to be a poor small town of 4K. Give me a legit small town or a huge city with housing options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 04:04 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Northern VA - It's OK. I like it but it's super expensive and congested. And everything is crowded so simple tasks like going to the store becomes a chore, this isn't necessarily anything new but it seems far more extreme these days. It's not a big deal, it is what it is.

I see myself possibly moving back to NYC at some point. Obviously NYC has similar issues but I do feel like there are way more pros than cons to NYC overall so it's worth it.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Pittsburgh, PA: Mostly happy.

PROS:

-Affordable homeownership opportunities. We purchased our first home on the city's North Side in March 2020 for $54,900. The house is small on a postage-stamp-sized lot and is semi-attached (one shared wall with the other neighbor being detached but spitting distance away). With that being said we also have a 1-car detached garage accessible via a rear alley and about 1,000 square feet of living space on three floors (choppy layout). You can easily buy a home here for <$150,000 that is move-in ready.

-Growing culinary scene. Since I moved here in 2010 the quality and variety of restaurants has ballooned. There are now even some restaurants that are so trendy that you need to make reservations months in advance. This was unheard of when I moved here. No, we don't have a Michelin-ranked restaurant, but who cares?

-Educated and worldly population. Roughly 50% of those aged 25 or older in the city limits have at least a Bachelor's Degree. It is easy to meet people who have moved here from all over the world to attend graduate school or to pursue a postdoctoral fellowship. We are growing our AI and robotics engineering sectors of the economy; Duolingo is headquartered here; and a lot of TV shows and movies film here or have filmed here.

-Booming economy. Similar to the above point the economy here is so hot that our office can't stay fully-staffed. Unemployment here is around 3% (albeit that seems to be the case nationally since Boomers are retiring in droves; Millennials are snorting fentanyl for unknown reasons; and Gen X and Gen Z are each like 3,000 people). Our city's median household income is around $60,000, which is great when coupled with having many homes for sale around $150,000. It is easy to live comfortably (albeit not extravagantly) here. My husband and I earn ~$75,000/year annually combined, and we are able to go out to eat often, give to charity, tithe, etc.

-Low RANDOM violent crime. Violent crime here VERY RARELY involves innocent bystanders. If you are shot with RARE exception it's the result of being in a rival gang, shorting your dealer, being involved in domestic violence, picking a fight bigger than you can handle at a bar or via road rage, etc. If you are just jogging down the street, yes, even in Homewood, our worst neighborhood, you are very unlikely to be a statistic. I feel safe here overall and live in a very high crime neighborhood. I have become friendly even with some of the local drug dealers as I am out litter-picking---they know they I'm not a narc, and they know I'm actually doing them a favor by picking up the needles dropped by their "clients" prior to neighbors squawking to the police or local media about it. No, I'm not happy or supportive of drug-dealing, but if you don't bother dealers they generally won't bother you.

-Very LGBTQ+-friendly. We have a very high percentage of our population falling under the rainbow umbrella. Just on our block four out of the eleven adults are LGBTQ, and I am aware of at least a dozen others in surrounding blocks. You see rainbow flags in a lot of areas, and our pride festival is very large. Due to the nature of my work (law enforcement analysis) I work in an office full of Republicans (and even some being die-hard MAGA types at that), and all are supportive of same-sex marriage, indicating that even our city's right-wingers are at least moderate on the LGBTQ+-oriented front. They are generally just conservative on things like taxation, Second Amendment rights, immigration, and abortion (and even then it's like a 50/50 split with some of the MAGA's in my office being pro-choice).

CONS:

-This city is FILTHY! I pick up litter constantly, and it just seems to come back faster and faster. We have rugged and steep wooded hillsides, so shady contractors/flippers will just pull up with their pickup trucks and dump all sorts of debris off of the roadsides. The local squirrels and crows, both of whom we feed very well, often bring us "gifts" of litter they find.

-The weather here is abysmal. We are a very cloudy city overall. It is gray here roughly 5 days per week for several months of the year. Our winters are cold and windy with little snow (bummer for those of us who love snow). We are just too far west for most Nor'easters to impact us; just too far south for the good Lake Effect snows; and just too far east for most Alberta Clippers to still have enough potency to drop more than like 2"-4". Summers are very humid and sticky. This summer has featured a lot of code red air quality days thanks to the Canadian wildfires.

-Rents are relatively high vs. prevailing wages. Most homeowners here are doing just fine. Renters? They are just as endangered of becoming homeless here as in many other more expensive large cities. I believe our typical 1-BR apartment rent is now well over $1,000/month in the city limits. That's absurd considering the mortgage payment on a 3-BR house here is much less than that. I have a colleague who just put in his notice today. He had to quit for a higher-paying job or risk eviction. We are building hundreds of new apartments across the city, but we still need many hundreds more.

-Terrible east/west infrastructure. I live and work in the city and am relatively immune from the infamous I-376 gridlock between Downtown and the suburbs; however, if I leave work on a Friday and want to visit my dad in Scranton, PA I do have to get tangled in the 376 conga line. It can often take me nearly an hour just to get from my Downtown office via car and out of Murrysville, our furthest-east major commuter suburb. Our airport is also far from Downtown, and if you have a flight around the PM rush hour you need to say a prayer you'll make it there on time thanks to the congestion of 376, which is only two lanes in each direction. Pittsburgh desperately needs an east/west BRT expansion or an east/west light rail expansion.

-Sports culture. I'm not into sports. Most natives are and don't shut up about the Steelers---even in the off-season. Other than thinking Mason Rudolph looks fine without a shirt I know nothing else about the Steelers.

-Homelessness. I work Downtown near a new large homeless shelter that was already over-capacity when it opened. As a result dozens of other unhoused humans just roam around the surrounding blocks of the city all day. Most are harmless. Some will shout at you or rudely accost you, though, which creates a negative/unnerving environment, especially for tourists and rich WASPy suburbanites. We have a lot of mentally unwell and/or addicted types roaming around leaving needles, urine, and feces here and there, and our mayor, despite being in office for a year-and-a-half now, seems to not have a plan to address any of it, which is quite unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Pittsburgh PA. Not happy

I am a 50+ year old vet in this city. I lived in Miami, Sarasota and Orlando as well. Pittsuburgh IMHO is turning into a mini Portland and that style. The downtown isn't a place you want to go anymore. It is declining still, but prices of homes are wildly high. I have 20 years in real estate and owned a restaurant before you pretend to know more. The city is going the way of San Francisco without those amazing views and great weather in comparison. I am moving to the country soon. I have a few more years left if I can survive as a white older male.
Eh. Parts of the city are becoming the FOX News portrayals of Seattle or San Francisco. Parts of the city are just fine. Overall the city's population dropped by literally just a few dozen people from 2020-2022 after generations of steep decline, and I think we will actually show population growth from 2020-2030. More neighborhoods are on the upswing than are on the decline out of our 90 neighborhoods. It's easy to focus on Downtown or parts of the North Side or Homewood or Carrick and feel despair, but there's also massively transformative success stories like the Strip District, Lawrenceville, East Liberty, South Side (despite the recent quality-of-life issues that the city actually IS addressing), Manchester, East Allegheny, etc. I'm also bullish on the next decade for the Hill District, especially since they will be cleaning up Bedford Dwellings/Chauncey Drive, which is the last large-scale low-income (and high violent crime) housing project in the Hill District. If they make that another mixed-income success story like Crawford Square or Oak Hill we'll be in good shape there.

The city is deep blue politically in a massive county that only LEANS blue that is surrounded by exurban collar counties that are overrun with MAGA types. I honestly think you'll see that the county overall only LEANS blue with the county executive race this Fall. I'm a moderate Democrat, and I'm leaning towards voting for Rockey (Republican) in November because Innamorato seems to be part of this new "decriminalize everything and everyone" mantra that threatens to worsen the quality-of-life for those of us in transitional urban neighborhoods. I'm also leery of voting for Dugan for DA but also am not thrilled with Zappala running as a Republican either.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:25 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Boomers are retiring in droves; Millennials are snorting fentanyl for unknown reasons; and Gen X and Gen Z are each like 3,000 people).
Lol. At least you're aware of Gen X's existence, so you're ahead of most people.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
'Happiness' or just settling?...
There may not be a utopia for everyone,so sometimes just have to take the good with the bad...hopefully the good outweighs the bad though.
I said and meant "happiness." I strongly believe that happiness is a choice for most people, myself included. That's why I can be happy in any number of places. I've moved a LOT in my life and I enjoy exploring new places.

Old 08-15-2023, 11:18 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I am content for now in the place where I live, but the plan has always been to leave there. In fact, I was supposed to move to the one location where a place felt like home and magical to me, but that fell through with the death of my fiance, whose home was in that place.

(I am visiting there right now for the last time, soaking in the magic before his sons sell it.)

I pretty much can make up my mind to be OK anywhere, but after experiencing what it was like to live in a place like the one where I am atm, I now dream of finding another place where I can feel that way. We'll see.

Meanwhile, my little condo in New Jersey, fifteen minutes from the ocean, with deer who wander into the field across the street every night and every convenience imaginable within spitting distance, will do.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:05 PM

159 posts, read 124,868 times
Malibu area- somewhat happy
I have lived here off and on for 30+ years. I live in the mountains about six or seven miles away from the beach. Its really nice, but there are now young people are racing in the mountains at night with their sports cars it's really annoying. I lived in other places in Ventura county as well. My only pet peeve that every time its gets windy there is a fear of fire weather. There are the wildfires that rage through the mountains every 5 to 10 years they're scary and the driving up and down the hill multiple times a day. The last fire killed a lot of the wildlife in the Santa Monica Mountains deer and any wildlife besides birds are now a rare sighting when they used to be a common one. Im grateful for what i have but at the same time I want a change of scene, I don't want to deal with the fear of wild fires burning down my house, and the threat is real because my neighbors house burned down in the last fire.

Last edited by sidneyinmyeyes34; 08-17-2023 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-21-2023, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 6,735 times
Southwestern Indiana, I don't want to get too specific.

Very unhappy. Moved back to my home town about ten years ago now it feels like I've been priced out of moving out of here.

Cons: there's no culture unless you count meth use, being scared of big cities, and hating minorities. It's a two hour drive to any concert I want to see. There's nothing to do.

Pros: It used to be cheap, now it's just slightly cheaper than moving to a bigger midwestern city.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:28 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
A suburb of Savannah, GA. Fairly happy.
Pro:
Lovely historical buildings
Close to the ocean
Many great restaurants
Good services
Safe and clean
Nice quiet neighborhood
Mild climate, but hot summers
Lots of sunshine

Cons: not all pertain to me…
Crime and poverty in some areas
Bad public schools
Annual hurricanes
Far from friends and family

Old 08-27-2023, 07:54 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Lol. At least you're aware of Gen X's existence, so you're ahead of most people.
All the generations from boomers and younger are really almost the same by number of people - within just a few percentage points. (and even less when considering the age ranges of the generations are a bit flexible in people's minds)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...by-generation/

It's really just the way that media hypes certain things for their own reasons, why people think things like "Gen X is not a lot of people and Millenial is so much larger"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.