Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 09:12 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Kansas City. Mostly happy.

My main gripe is that it's a bit too hot in the summer and not quite enough snow in the winter, at least most winters. But overall not too bad.
I'm originally from the Kansas City region and I couldn't stand the climate there- one of the reasons I left. The heat and humidity in the summer is beyond horrible, I experienced a heat index as bad as 125F, so that's a non starter. Winter is nothing like most of the Midwest, as most people in KC are scared of any type of winter precipitation. Just too dry and windy in the winter, so the worst of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 11:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
There are of course some places I would simply not enjoy so I refuse (and have refused) to move there. But overall, I can be happy in any number of places, weather patterns, etc.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:07 PM

6 posts, read 4,532 times
Where do you live --

Deep South
Currently-medium sized town in North Louisiana
Happiness Scale: 3/10
Pluses: Great Library programs and events, some hiking opportunities, temperate winter, LCOL
Minuses: Mostly hot and humid summer days (>100+ heat index from June till August), Majority of the people who have never lived elsewhere- not much exposure to other states/countries, country folks, low wages and lack of professional opportunities, high crime in majority of the area until you get out to the country

Used to live

Southeastern Coastalline
Place - Wilmington NC
Happiness Scale: 7/10
Pluses: beautiful historic downtown and river boardwalk, marshes and beaches, temperate winter, LCOL at the time, mountains and bigger cities are within few hours drive
Minuses: Mainly blue collared and hospitality jobs, great divide between northerners and southerners, college students usually leave after graduate

Midwest Plain
Place- Lincoln and Omaha NE
Happiness Scale: 6/10
Pluses: Extremely down to earth and friendly people, LCOL, variety of jobs, conservative values and family units, overall low crime, some cultural diverse restaurants and grocers
Minuses: HARSH winter season, very rainy spring, nothing much to do culturally in the area, locals who aren't well traveled/ exposed to outside world

Southwest Desert
Place- Phoenix AZ
Happiness Scale: 7/10
Pluses: People from all over the US and the world are here, strong economy and variety of jobs, desert landscape can be beautiful, plenty of hiking opportunities, forest and various forms of beautiful landscapes are within 2 to 3 hours drive
Minuses: Soaring HOT summer last for 4 to 5 months, Aggressive drivers

Last edited by MissCuriousity36; 09-05-2023 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-07-2023, 03:17 PM

819 posts, read 582,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Yep ^^ my thoughts with northern suburbs of ATL as well, except I loved the weather and the outdoor rec and the asian food. I just knew it wasn't my place to settle down, though I enjoyed my 2 years there quite a bit.

That's funny, I'm in the exact opposite frame! I found myself full of experience and adventure after big metros, but anxious and overstimulated. I wanted somewhere more serene and nature filled - more of a blank slate. I found myself to be more adventurous trying things in my local area and more anxious and FOMOish when travelling somewhere far away. I wanted to travel internally and discover all the facets of living fully within the world right around me and pick up some hobbies rather than travelling externally. Also I wanted to have a deeper social network that comes from a smaller area and staying put.

And for that, Taos is great, I really like it so far!

It seriously feels like a foreign country in this area or an alternate history of the US west, there's nowhere else quite like it. I really like the people here and the openness to experience. There's a lot of poverty around, it's economically pretty quiet, and it's kind of the middle of nowhere, but that's not the worst: For one thing it's very anti - materialistic, people don't chase luxury endlessly. Also it feels like I'm on the front end of a piece of the US that's got all the ingredients to bloom except airports, interstates, railroads, and venture capitalists. With retirement and remote work that can now be realized though.

From Grants Pass to Yreka would have been my #1 choice without consideration of being near family. What an amazing piece of geography and flora, with good towns and fun people to be around! My inner botany nerd wanted to be in one of the most biodiverse and beautiful parts of the US. That being said, I think NM is actually a good fit because the endless exploration available from being essentially off the radar except for the few WOW spots. Landscape does stay the same, but each day provides a new set of beauty looking upwards with the clouds, storms, stars, sunsets...
We visited AZ several times over the years when our daughter lived in Tucson and liked it very much. But. There's no beach, lol. There isn't one in New Mexico, either. The best weather in the wintertime - so pleasant. If I move from Ashland, however, it will be closer to the coast.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:34 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Martin County Florida. Love where I live. Long time resident and all four kids born and raised here. Originally from New Mexico.
https://discovermartin.com/

Old 09-08-2023, 02:10 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
San Francisco for me, too. I've lived here since 1974 (except for three years in "Hell" Sobrante during my first marriage. I couldn't get out of there fast enough). I'm very happy here.

Pros are mild weather, clean air, beautiful scenery, beautiful Victorian and Edwardian houses, lots of things to do, decent public transportation, many parks, world class medical, art museums, symphony and opera. Restaurants feature every type of cuisine you can imagine.

My quiet, safe neighborhood is tucked away in a little-known part of the city. We live across the street from a forested city park with hiking trails that lead to panoramic views of the city. Our shopping street is like a small town with banks, restaurants, salons, drugstores, shoe and vacuum repair shops, an upscale Goodwill thrift shop, mom and pop grocery stores, wine bars, pubs, a library and a light rail station with easy access to other parts of the city.

Real estate prices are insane here, but we were fortunate to have bought our modest 2br, 1ba house in 1986 for less than $200K. We planned it so it would be paid off by the time we retired, and that helps keep our living expenses within reason. California's Prop. 13 is another pro. Our property taxes are quite reasonable even though the house has appreciated greatly in value. Because we are seniors, if we were to move anywhere else in the state another California law would enable us to to keep our same tax rate.

Cons are the cold, foggy summers, difficult street parking, horrible rush hour and weekend traffic jams. I miss some of the big department stores like Macy's and Nordstrom that have closed. Other cons are the high cost of living and the druggies and homeless who congregate in some downtown and tourist areas. But since we're retirees we almost never need to go to those areas. We can also avoid traffic by traveling on weekdays or at off times. I am grateful every single day to live here and I hope I never have to leave.
lol.

El Sobrante ?

I live in the Houston metro, but I'm a 5th generation Bay Area native and I've never heard El Sobrante called that.

That's funny.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:27 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
New Mexico is about as close to a foreign country that you can find within the US, and that appeals to me. That is one reason why I moved here when I retired. Taos is charmingly dysfunctional. You might walk into a shop and the dog is in charge because the shopkeeper went for a coffee and met a friend and fell into a conversation. They will be back in a while. Store hours are sometimes suggestions. Earthship is just across the Rio Grande Gorge and is equally interesting. Santa Fe is hyper by comparison. Also has tourist gridlock, but it is a good place to visit on occasion. It is a foodie's destination. I live halfway between Santa Fe and Albuquerque and can have the benefit of either one under an hour. I can catch the commuter train. I love the deserts, mountains, forests, the empty outback, scenery, the food, and the cultural diversity.
Yeah, love the Enchanted Circle. Give me a huge stack of books and my skis and I could spend a winter in Red River.

I definitely experienced 'store hours being a suggestion' in Taos, but the vibe there just makes one laugh it off rather than be upset.

One time I was there....had to drive out to the 'Gorge Bridge'. When I saw the movie Twins...said to myself 'I've got to see that'.

Old 09-08-2023, 12:10 PM

783 posts, read 695,595 times
Los Angeles - Loving it!

Pro - Has the entire world in one city. (Or the closest thing on earth to having everything in your town)

Con - Crazy expensive real estate, too many homeless, need more parks, concrete in the LA River, not enough bike lanes (I care about this more than rail transit by a country mile), not safe enough

Old 09-09-2023, 09:50 AM

8 posts, read 10,764 times
Would be cool if my area was in Central Time and the amount of snowfall is underwhelming but I'm overall pretty happy here.

Old 09-12-2023, 05:31 PM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
St. Louis, MO -- actually St. Louis Country and a close in suburb to the city, Glendale. I'm very happy and plan to stay. My neighborhood kind of has that Beaver Cleaver look / feel, very walkable, very friendly, close to everything, one of the lowest crime rates in the state, good schools (but we are older now -- my son live just 16 minutes away and is 28). The cost of housing though high for the state of Missouri is relatively reasonable for such a nice place and metro area of this size. Summers are too hot and humid -- my one gripe. Spring and fall are lovely. And winder is relatively mild. We are going to stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.