Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 12:37 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Philadelphia, PA - Half and half.

Pros: Convenience, four seasons, good sandwich scene, passionate sports fans, our bills are very low, my immediate neighborhood is pretty good.

Cons: Too much diversity, too much litter, dumping and graffiti, too many aggressive, rude, loud people, too much violence, lousy mayor, DA and city council that are tolerant of crime and quality of life issues, police have been neutered, parking, too much attention to race instead of excellence, too many crazies and junkies roaming the streets. Philly is mostly a dump, basically.
You begin saying "half and half" but the OBVIOUS feel , given the length of your "cons' is you despise living there. L

"Too much Diversity" "Too much attention to race" "Philly is mostly a dump, basically"

Why not find a spot amongst those of similar mind, say deep in the Idaho woods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 03:18 PM

2,045 posts, read 786,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
You begin saying "half and half" but the OBVIOUS feel , given the length of your "cons' is you despise living there. L

"Too much Diversity" "Too much attention to race" "Philly is mostly a dump, basically"

Why don't you move to SE Asia or within close proximity to Balboa Park so you have cheap and easy access to what makes your motor purr?

Last edited by Hermit12; 08-04-2023 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-04-2023, 04:09 PM

711 posts, read 933,350 times
Sun City Center, Fl.

Half & Half would be the most accurate, however mostly happy would best describe the past.

Pros--Warm weather year round. Better than average amenities. Very convenient to most shopping and everyday needs. City streets are golf cart legal (with some restrictions) and are very handy for the residents.
A 55+ community that is not in the red financially (we pay as we go) Medical facilities in town or nearby including a hospital. Many clubs and other activities for residents to choose from.

Cons--Nearby areas surrounding town are too close for comfort in many ways (some I cannot describe on the forum) There has been an enormous housing development bust in adjoining spaces which were formerly agricultural. Very little supporting infrastructure was provided to accommodate the many thousands of new arrivals and their families. They can and do, use our shopping, medical professionals, roadways etc. Fl. SR#674 runs right through the middle of SCC. and it is heavily used to enter I75. It had a lane added last year, it was like putting a bucket under niagara falls to catch it, too little too late. To make matters worse 674 has become a raceway and a roadway of intimidation for residents living on both north & south SCC, many of whom use it daily. Complaints to the county police fall on incompetent ears. Ears of denial, while the accidents mount and road bullying continues. Add illegal mufflers that create noise that can be heard many blocks away and can be heard through the town at most hours of the day and night. Our hospital is on SR#674.The county police sub station is near by, they use this road daily.

Although I may be forced to tolerate the cons I keep my moving options active. I do not continue to recommend this town to others. Although SSC is and was built as a senior community, and has been here before the powers that be gave priorities to others, I am not optimistic of the future for seniors.
We have been made the Rodney Dangerfield of residents. "We don't get no respect."

Old 08-04-2023, 04:25 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
The thread made it 5 pages before partial derailment, not bad!

Old 08-04-2023, 05:46 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:

Exactly

Old 08-04-2023, 06:20 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The thread made it 5 pages before partial derailment, not bad!
2 pages.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:48 AM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
On James Island in the Charleston SC city limits - happy

Pros: water large and small all around from the ocean to large rivers to little creeks, beautiful architecture, nice cityscape, fair share of “best of” accolades, no snow, nice people both natives and newcomers, booming economy, opportunity

Cons: slow infrastructure improvement, high cost of real estate for the average Joe, increasing flood and hazard insurance rates, summer humidity outdoors on the worst days, vocal provincial residents who want all the growth to stop cold in its tracks

Old 08-05-2023, 09:14 AM

639 posts, read 379,684 times
Chaseburg WI

Happy. Love my property. Love the hunting and fishing, growing and foraging. The driftless area is one of the beautiful regions of the USA.

Cons are lack of amenities in town. Pretty much none and its a bit of a drive.

Quote:
Four seasons seems a stretch being in WI. Winters have to be long, Spring and Fall relatively short.
Not a stretch at all.

Old 08-05-2023, 11:26 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Honolulu, HI -- mostly happy

Pros: good Asian food options, warm weather, live a mile from the beach and in a high rise condo with city/ocean/mountain views, etc.

Cons: they certainly don't outweigh the pros, but I wish that there was more good culinary diversity (the east Asian food here can be outstanding, but we are definitely lacking in some other areas), that things were more affordable (doesn't prevent me from living my life as I'm paid a handsome salary, but things can still add up for most here), that there were fewer homeless out and about (they've taken over some parks and beach areas literally), and that it was closer to the mainland (the great distance leads to expensive plane ticket prices, etc.).

Old 08-05-2023, 12:51 PM

4,611 posts, read 3,003,049 times
San Francisco, and mostly happy --

weather: nearly always moderate, sometimes absolutely delightful.
air quality: very good most of the time, thanks to the ocean winds.
city transit: the best in the western states, to my knowledge: many lines, frequent service.
walkability: I don't own a car. Everyday needs are a ten-minute walk.
landscape: gorgeous natural surroundings, great hikes (Pt Reyes, Mt Tam) not far away.
rent control: rent can't rise by more than the CPI, (under most circumstances),
protecting people from rent spikes.

good thing I don't have cable... so I don't realize there's encampments on every corner,
human waste on every block, and the whole town is doomed to implode any minute now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.