Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 02:04 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I lost a nice ash tree to them about 15 yrs ago when I lived in Michigan. Replaced it with a red maple. Now I live in AZ and have two large Arizona Ashes, but I don't think the EAB has invaded here yet. But I heard it will eventually.

Here is a nice map showing where it has invaded as of Jan '21: http://www.emeraldashborer.info/docu...ate_EABpos.pdf

This article says, "It is expected that emerald ash borer will ultimately kill almost every unprotected ash tree presently growing in North America."
https://cales.arizona.edu/yavapai/an...20the%20state.

Maybe years after all of the ash trees die off, the EABs will not be able to hang around and ash trees can be planted again.
This is very concerning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 02:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
My parents who live in the northern suburbs have probably 10+ ash trees on their property and almost all of them are in various stages of infestation.

What's especially sad is that a lot of the elms that were decimated by Dutch Elm Disease decades ago here in the Twin Cities were replaced with ash trees, which are again dying en masse.
That's very sad to lose such beautiful trees. Do the cities have any plan in place for this? I have seen whole streets of dead trees this summer.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Some municipalities in the metro offer residents resources to treat infected trees, which to be completely honest is extremely laborious and not really worth the effort.

The city of Minneapolis has been preemptively removing a lot of them, healthy or not. Seems a lot are being replaced with ginkgos and swamp white oaks, both of which I think are really pretty as street trees.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:20 PM

853 posts, read 336,871 times
Quote:
Some municipalities in the metro offer residents resources to treat infected trees, which to be completely honest is extremely laborious and not really worth the effort.

The city of Minneapolis has been preemptively removing a lot of them, healthy or not. Seems a lot are being replaced with ginkgos and swamp white oaks, both of which I think are really pretty as street trees.
Lots of northern catalpas and Kentucky coffee trees too, both of which grow fast.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:01 PM

579 posts, read 432,387 times
We've lost a *lot* of ash trees in central Iowa this past year. I assume that any trees that weren't pretreated (although I don't know how well that works) are infected or gone.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:32 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
Quote:
My parents who live in the northern suburbs have probably 10+ ash trees on their property and almost all of them are in various stages of infestation.

What's especially sad is that a lot of the elms that were decimated by Dutch Elm Disease decades ago here in the Twin Cities were replaced with ash trees, which are again dying en masse.
My land had healthy Elm trees when I bought it in 1986. Some years later, they all died.

Old 09-02-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
My land had healthy Elm trees when I bought it in 1986. Some years later, they all died.
Yeah, it's really tragic what Dutch Elm Disease did so many cities across North America. Though I think in the long run, it's kind of a good thing it happened. It was a wakeup call for cities to stop planting arboreal monocultures. Who knows what the next invasive disease or pest will be that sweeps through and decimates trees, especially now that our world is so interconnected.

Old 09-02-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Lots of northern catalpas and Kentucky coffee trees too, both of which grow fast.
I love the look of catalpas but they're extremely messy trees when they drop their seed pods. I haven't noticed the Kentucky coffeetrees – I didn't realize they could grow in Zone 4.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:40 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
They are making their way through Texas:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/...ith%20Oklahoma.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:15 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
It was really bad here several years ago here in Kansas City, but seems to have calmed down the past couple years. Most of the dead and dying ash trees I see are ones which have been that way for at least a couple years, and I'm not seeing any newly infested trees. And the ash trees that somehow escaped infestation previously seem to be doing just fine. I'd say maybe 3/4 of the ash trees around here were infested and either died or are in trouble, but the remaining 1/4 or so are now hanging in there just fine. Let's hope it stays that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.