Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 03:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times

Advertisements

I was going to put this in the California sub forum, but the emphasis here is what's drawing ex-Californians to other states. If you've been seeing a lot of California license plates in your area and wonder what the heck is going on, you may find this informative: Hot job markets are No. 1 draw for ex-Californians

The top 6 reasons, and the states scoring the highest in these categories:
  1. Jobs - Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Florida, Montana, Washington and North Dakota
  2. Fun - Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Colorado, Minnesota, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Maryland and Rhode Island
  3. Culture (strange title, this is really about being conservative vs. liberal CA) - South Dakota, North Dakota, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Idaho, Alabama, Wyoming, Indiana, Louisiana and Alaska
  4. Safety - Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Virginia, New Jersey, Connecticut, New York and Idaho
  5. Bargain (aka LCOL) - Colorado, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Illinois, Utah, Maryland, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska and West Virginia
  6. Health - Massachusetts, Hawaii, Minnesota, New Jersey, Maryland, Connecticut, Utah, Wisconsin, Vermont and New Hampshire

An an ex-Californian in Idaho I think this list mostly rings true, except maybe the last one... I don't know anyone who's moved to another state because it's healthy. The only people I know who moved for health reasons were those with very specialized care that moved to be closer to the care they need, but that's a different thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 04:05 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Surprised that MA shows up so often in those lists. I personally don’t know anyone here who recently moved in from CA.

Old 11-18-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Surprised that MA shows up so often in those lists. I personally don’t know anyone here who recently moved in from CA.
MA had a net migration of around +3000 Californians, which is around middle of the states. So yeah, you're probably not noticing a lot relative to total population.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:41 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
I was going to put this in the California sub forum, but the emphasis here is what's drawing ex-Californians to other states. If you've been seeing a lot of California license plates in your area and wonder what the heck is going on, you may find this informative: Hot job markets are No. 1 draw for ex-Californians

1. Jobs - Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Florida, Montana, Washington and North Dakota
  2. Fun - Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Colorado, Minnesota, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Maryland and Rhode Island
  3. Culture (strange title, this is really about being conservative vs. liberal CA) - South Dakota, North Dakota, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Idaho, Alabama, Wyoming, Indiana, Louisiana and Alaska
  4. Safety - Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Virginia, New Jersey, Connecticut, New York and Idaho
  5. Bargain (aka LCOL) - Colorado, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Illinois, Utah, Maryland, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska and West Virginia
  6. Health - Massachusetts, Hawaii, Minnesota, New Jersey, Maryland, Connecticut, Utah, Wisconsin, Vermont and New Hampshire

An an ex-Californian in Idaho I think this list mostly rings true, except maybe the last one... I don't know anyone who's moved to another state because it's healthy. The only people I know who moved for health reasons were those with very specialized care that moved to be closer to the care they need, but that's a different thing.

Yeah uh, I'm going to call BS on some of this.

Old 11-18-2023, 06:02 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
7. Other? I know I and others I’ve met who prefer urban living who moved from CA to FL (Miami) did so because we got tired of the out of control homeless situation, crime/decriminalization, small business regulations and taxes (wondering where our tax monies went that were not benefitting us). A couple of these would be minimized or mitigated if I opted for a suburban lifestyle but I / we prefer the cleaner and modern urbanity we get in our new environs.

Not sure I would say “so many” but I’ve met +/- dozen former Californians in just my little neighborhood of Brickell. Hardly met anyone who looked favorably upon Florida when I lived in CA. Most of the CA transplants I’ve met and I are single; the only negative comment I’ve received from an ex Californian is a successful married guy with kids from the SF Bay Area who has his kids in private school but complains about the emphasis on material possessions from their classmates.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-18-2023 at 06:17 PM..

Old 11-18-2023, 07:43 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I know more than 3 families from coastal CA who moved to the Front Range CO because they want to be able to afford a house. Denver is also cheaper than all the nice cities in the PNW. I looked at listing recently.

I do agree with the rest of your comment.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:58 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post

That's a rather crappy list IMO. I don't see Georgia or North Carolina on any of those lists yet those states have a lot of inward migration.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Care to elaborate for the sake of discussion?

Old 11-18-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That's a rather crappy list IMO. I don't see Georgia or North Carolina on any of those lists yet those states have a lot of inward migration.
But is that inward migration specifically from California? It's an honest question, curious what these places are seeing. I know Asheville, NC was a popular destination for Californians at one time, not sure if that's still the case.

I will say, it seems there's a geographic component to the migration, with closer states being more popular. I'll hazard a guess that this is to minimize travel to see loved ones.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:41 PM

1,034 posts, read 562,799 times
We moved out of CA (South Pasadena) after 10 yrs in 2019 for none of the reasons listed. We moved from NYC back to L.A where my parents lived when my daughter was born to be close to them. When my Dad retired they moved back to Taipei. Like kids when Dad and Mom weren’t home, we decided to move for freshness and novelty. (the perk of WFH)

South Pasadena was a safe, lovely bubble so we barely felt any political/social uproar or “discomfort”. I only met one homeless guy in 10 yrs we lived in South Pasadena, he was a veteran panhandling in front of Vons. Harmless, and he left people alone.

I never considered myself as “ex-Californian” because I still have the most relatives/family in CA. And we flew back almost every other month because the stylist who cut hair for my whole family for 10 yrs is simply the best. I don’t read too much into other people’s moving either. Not everything has to be a political statement or a dichotomy, sometimes people move because they are curious about “what’s out there?!”-i’d move to Africa if I’m curious and inspired. And I change my mind about places/countries/locations very often. (my poor husband.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.