Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2024, 09:58 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

not Charleston
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 10:16 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Not sure about that. Austin is pretty hilly and one of the fittest cities in the US and especially the south. it is not conservative however.
Austin is not that hilly, but it's right next to the Hill Country and there are hills/mountainlets in the metro. Water sports are pretty big there, and so is cycling. The city is outdoorsy for Texas in the same way it is liberal for Texas.

For conservative singles of any gender or orientation, Florida seems to be the promised land ever since Covid.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:49 AM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
^^depends on where in FL.

Anecdotal, but the most bible-thumping, god-loving, vanity hunting (in Africa) and conservative-leaning person i know lives in Austin. (And she has many local tribes.)

OP sounds like she’ll find her tribe in Dallas. A lot of “Southern Preppy”, prissy and pretty, church-going, prim and proper sweet ol’ former sorority sisters who end up marrying pastel-wearing, weekend hunting, finance bros (who were formerly frat bros) who live in the Park cities with their 2.5 kids and wall-to-wall wallpaper drawing room & their impeccable life.

Atlanta, too. Piedmont Driving Club, Buckhead, genteel, Southern Preppy.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 6,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
OKC is conservative... but it sounds like she is looking for "white collar" church going conservative boys. And while that exists here... it is in limited supply compared to other places.

Now if she wants huntin', fishin', two steppin', gun rangin' conservatives... our cup runneth over here.

For corporate conservative types... DFW is the only place to go. Park yourself in the north Dallas suburbs... find a good Bible believing church... and there should be connections to good white collar guys whose outdoor activities are pretty consists of just golfing on Saturday mornings. So nothing to be scared of.
This is exactly it. Nothing against outdoorsy people, I just feel I don't typically have a ton in common with them.

Of these suggestions, I think DFW area sounds promising.

And point taken about Utah, I had a suspicion that might be the case.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:30 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Any Texas city other than Austin would probably meet the requirements.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:35 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Austin is not that hilly, but it's right next to the Hill Country and there are hills/mountainlets in the metro. Water sports are pretty big there, and so is cycling. The city is outdoorsy for Texas in the same way it is liberal for Texas.

For conservative singles of any gender or orientation, Florida seems to be the promised land ever since Covid.
Googling "US cities ranked by hilliness" puts Austin at #17/50, right next to San Francisco.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...731cd5966e620e

In national elections the Austin metro votes roughly equal to NYC and LA metros. Its not "liberal for Texas", it's just liberal. What is different compared to those cities is that there is a very conservative state government.

Not sure why Austin would be the recommendation for someone specifically looking for conservative. That is a strange choice.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:39 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Let me know what it is so I can avoid it

Old 03-28-2024, 12:01 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
The west coast, including San Diego, is far more liberal than you're looking for.

I would generally avoid the mountain west to minimize the outdoorsy types - note my username and location This includes Utah.

Minimizing frat guys means avoiding cities dominated by a university.

So I think you're looking for somewhat larger cities located in more conservative Midwestern and Southern states: Omaha, OKC, DFW, Tallahassee, Nashville, Cincinnati, etc. Many of these cities will be somewhat liberal overall, but there will be a reasonable mix of conservatives and liberals. I'm not necessarily recommending these as good places to live, really depends on what else you're looking for and you haven't given us a lot to go on.
Dfw, Tallahassee,Nashville, etc. lots of frat types

Old 03-28-2024, 12:09 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post

Any southern city, maybe outside of Atlanta, Asheville and Austin works

Old 03-28-2024, 12:17 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Googling "US cities ranked by hilliness" puts Austin at #17/50, right next to San Francisco.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...731cd5966e620e
Have you been to Austin? Even DC feels hillier, at least in the parts that visitors go.
Austin's political leaning has been discussed elsewhere and it is by no means settled that something like that can be fully determined by voting patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.