Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 09:07 AM

1,819 posts, read 1,986,649 times

Advertisements

Armour Square is pretty purple, while Canaryville, also on Chicago's South line, is purple to red-leaning.

Far NW Baltimore also has some Hasidic Jews like SW Brooklyn does, and has some red pockets near the city-county line. Also, in addition to Dundalk, you can see how eastern Baltimore County retains the old, ethnic white populations that lean conservative (this includes parts of my mom's side of the family, while my dad's side leans towards more purple to blue areas such as Parkville and the Cokesville area).

Deep South Philly (just above Oregon Ave. and below) is also fairly conservative, especially west of about 7th street, along with a small pocket near Front St. and Snyder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 09:33 AM

16,729 posts, read 29,692,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Staten Island is the perfect example of this. I don’t know if there’s any other major city in America so blue with such a deeply red section.
And significant parts of Brooklyn.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:34 AM

10,078 posts, read 5,789,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Armour Square is pretty purple, while Canaryville, also on Chicago's South line, is purple to red-leaning.
Biden won Armour Square by roughly a 20-point margin. Canaryville was at best a wash.

Old 05-02-2024, 01:56 PM

4,552 posts, read 5,167,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Prof, you seem to know a lot about the Little Italy area. I've just begun to get acquainted as my daughter is going to college there. It's a very nice area and seems very healthy and somewhat vibrant.
It's an awesome neighborhood right next to (Cleveland's cultural mecca) University Circle and Case Western (where I assume D is attending -- a very good school). LI is also very transit accessible, with a new-ish (2015) Rapid Transit station right at the foot of the Mayfield Rd. retail district.

Good luck to your daughter.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:00 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,024,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Coral Gables—Little Havana—Hialeah—Doral in Miami….Cubans and Venezuelans do not trust government and vote Republican. Miami is still Blue, but it’s “lead” is shrinking.
The mayor's Republican, correct? I was just reading about that earlier but am too lazy to look it up now. Just ordered my 5th IPA, would rather type multiple sentences of nonsense here than do a simple Google search

Old 05-02-2024, 11:04 PM

5,704 posts, read 4,024,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
My second point was "It seems places like Denver, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Austin and D.C." left off those seem to true blue.
That's the real topic I want to see, as those are my places

Buffalo is perhaps too minor to be considered here, but Dems do outnumber Republicans by around an 8:1 ratio within the city. There are a couple small predominantly white working-class areas within the city that lean red, though I haven't seen updated precinct-by-precinct maps in some time

Old 05-03-2024, 07:27 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,357,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
That's the real topic I want to see, as those are my places

Buffalo is perhaps too minor to be considered here, but Dems do outnumber Republicans by around an 8:1 ratio within the city. There are a couple small predominantly white working-class areas within the city that lean red, though I haven't seen updated precinct-by-precinct maps in some time
According to the NYT map, there is one precinct in South Buffalo that went just +3.7 Biden in 2020. Most of that neighborhood is “light blue” suggesting slim margins.

Another interesting point of comparison is to use the “change from 2016” feature. Downtown Buffalo shifted pretty strongly to the right, one precinct in particular saw a 24 point swing towards Trump.

Interestingly, I checked Rochester and the downtown swing was not replicated there. Instead, the areas of the city that swung hardest to the right were the predominantly Black and Hispanic neighborhoods north of downtown. One area around North Clinton swung 31 points towards Trump. In fact, the entire 14621 neighborhood is shaded red, while the more White gentrified neighborhoods in the SE Quadrant swung pretty significantly towards Biden.

None of the Upstate NY cities appear to have any truly red areas, however Buffalo has the smallest blue aura, as it begins to turn pink almost immediately outside of city limits.

Overall New York’s other cities are still deep blue with no Staten Island equivalents.

Old 05-03-2024, 11:52 AM

7,485 posts, read 6,670,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The mayor's Republican, correct? I was just reading about that earlier but am too lazy to look it up now. Just ordered my 5th IPA, would rather type multiple sentences of nonsense here than do a simple Google search
Suarez (R) is Mayor of The City of Miami whereas Levine-Cava (D) is Mayor of Miami Dade County.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:19 PM

6,621 posts, read 16,647,990 times
Minneapolis and Saint Paul are totally Blue (in varying shades) within the city limits. So are the close-in surrounding suburbs. You have to go at least 15-20 miles into the burbs from the two downtowns to get to any shade of Red (actually, Pink) whatsoever. The closest deep Red districts are ~60 miles distant.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:40 AM

1,233 posts, read 831,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing. A few interesting observations:

- South Brooklyn is waaaay more conservative than I thought (I knew it was quite conservative), with large tranches >90% for Trump
- There are a few districts in Los Angeles that voted for Trump with a singular (i.e. one) vote. That seems efficient...
- Beverly Hills is more conservative than I assumed
- Washington DC is the most liberal city in the east, and looks similar to Seattle/Portland in that regard; it seems conservatives would pick VA as a place to live if they worked in DC, too bad that data is missing to get a better gauge of the metro area as a whole
A map from wikipedia for VA (isn't clickable like the NYT one, though):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ident_2020.svg

Pretty much all the built-up area in FFX, Loudoun (aka anything east of 15), and PW is blue. There are lighter blue area along Potomac in FFX County (i.e. McLean, Great Falls), but still nowhere a red pocket.

You have to be out in western Loudoun or Fauquier Co before seeing any red, which makes sense with both area being somewhat rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.