Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:48 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of the same places being listed over and over again, and I think it doesn't give the not-so-popular cities/places a chance to defend themselves.

It would be nice to get some positive things about a variety of cities - whether trendy, nondescript, or continually bashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:59 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
ok then,

Lincoln NE- Is the second most populated city in Nebraska, it has a city population of 241,167 and a metro of 283,970, it has the second tallest and one of the most unique capitol buildings, has a strong economy, it has very good university, University of Nebraska Lincoln which is growing fast with 10 new medical towers going up, not that tall I don't think though, its getting a new convention center (smaller than Omahas 18,000 bigger than the current ones 14,000) it has a nice baseball stadium and it has tons of nice museums downtown, with the biggest mammoth ever discovered. It also has a metro of

Sioux Falls SD-Is the largest city in South Dakota, it has a city population of 154,000 and has a metro of 227,000, it has a strong and growing economy with a lot of growth expected in the near future, they could be getting a 20 story medical complex building in the near future.

I will do more later

Last edited by Raphael07; 06-13-2008 at 05:18 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
1. Denver, CO- I just love it there. It's so laid back, clean, and it's close by. The mountains are gorgeous and it's always had such a warm homey feel to me.

2. Nice, France- Now there's a gorgeous place!

3. Black Hills, SD- I live there, it's unlike any other place on earth, it's home.

4. Paris, France- It's the culture capital of the world and it's a fantastic city with the best food I've EVER had!

5. Portland, OR- A very ecclectic city with a unique vibe.

That's about it. I don't really have a Top 10... just 5!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I'm tired of the same places being listed over and over again, and I think it doesn't give the not-so-popular cities/places a chance to defend themselves.

It would be nice to get some positive things about a variety of cities - whether trendy, nondescript, or continually bashed.
I can see your reasoning on this but why not just make a thread here. Oh I guess you did that.
A person does read a lot about the largest cities and the most expensive places. Sometimes it's a nice change to read about the little known cities. Some of us like where we live even if it isn't trendy.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Chattanooga, Tennessee.

City population 170,000. Metro population 500,000.

Very historic city, strategic location as a railroad junction and river city made it a target during the Civil War. It's absolutely beautiful, surrounded by mountains. Hanggliding and whitewater rafting are within a half hour of downtown. The 1996 Olympics whitewater rafting events were on the Ocoee River in Tennessee near Chattanooga.

Downtown Chattanooga has the historic Chattanooga Choo-Choo as well as the Tennessee Aquarium (world's largest freshwater aquarium), several museums, an IMAX theater, riverboats, and parks. It also has the country's largest fleet of electric city buses.

Chattanooga is 100'ish miles from Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, and Birmingham. When the Tennessee River leaves Chattanooga it goes through what's called "The Grand Canyon of Tennessee" just a few miles from downtown Chattanooga. Chattanooga is a city that loves its river and loves its mountains.

Pics taken from Google Images.

http://www.chattanooganhotel.com/_images/_design/riverbend.jpg (broken link)

http://www.travel-watch.com/images/chattanooga1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.fcds.org/faculty/JimmySwansbrough/Jwebpage/Chattanooga.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by JMT; 06-13-2008 at 10:46 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 PM

139 posts, read 451,118 times
Based on a job that requires lots of travel, here is my top 5 list of "places to live" (this excludes great cities that I like to visit, but just wouldn't want to live in)

1. Vancouver, BC
2. Austin, TX
3. Charlottesville, VA
4. San Francisco, CA
5. Portland, OR

I guess my criteria is natural beauty, abundant arts/culture amenities, interesting neighborhoods, lively downtown, outdoor recreation, mild winters, and a unique vibe that defines the city's personality as different from everybody else. Other cities that have surprised me, but that I really enjoyed include Chattanooga, TN and Louisville, KY.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:17 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post

For living or visiting? In the US only or outside?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I went through Geneseo, Illinois once, about 25 years ago and I remember thinking to myself that it was just about the nicest little town I had ever seen. But that was a long time ago.

20yrs

Old 06-14-2008, 01:42 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
"Best Places" lists are stupid. Every place is a best place for someone, and many of the so-called "best places" aren't right for many people.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:10 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Small towns in the south that were a 'revelation' to me in terms of beauty and apparent livability:

Eufaula, AL
Waynesboro, GA
DeLand, FL
Murfreesboro, TN
Oxford, MS
Fairhope, AL
Dahlonega, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.