Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM

309 posts, read 1,025,869 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in the Mid-Missouri area, and in a little less than 1 year we would like to move somewhere. We aren't sure where, but some places we have considered are:

Seattle, Washington area
Somewhere between Portland and Euegene, Oregon
Tampa, FL area.

My wife likes it warm, so she likes the idea of Tampa, Fl. However some concerns of mine are Hurricanes, rising ocean levels and the possible inability to have an earth-contact or underground home.

I like the idea of the Pacific Northwest. Along the coast temperatures seem somewhat mild. I love the ocean, but I also love mountains and it has them both.

However, we would like to go there first to look around before getting jobs wherever it is we go. We are both professionals, she is a Physical Therapist and I am focused on Database Administration. Being in the computer field Seattle draws me, and Florida draws her because of her field and the number of retirees there.

I would like to be 30-40 miles from either mountains or the ocean. I would prefer Hurricanes over earthquakes, but if the ocean rises 100 or so feet in the next 50 years, Florida is probably a bad long term investment. Also, I would love to invest in a somewhat self-sustaining house (wind power and solar power, temperature regulated house such as earth contact or underground, cistern water for backup etc)

Florida doesn't seem ideal for that.

I constantly look over city-data.com to look at climate and use wikipedia to tell me more about the climate, but my choices are somewhat limited for the states. It is likely there is some anomalous places out there that have great climate, but I also would like to live near a large-ish city (100k+).

There anything I am missing? Any great suggestions, tips, or arguments to convince me that perhaps the Tampa, Fl area is fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:28 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,316 times
Find a job first (if applicable), then move, wherever that may lead you.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:48 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
You should be able to find jobs in any of the three cities.

I wouldn't say that hurricanes are too much of a concern though - you have notification months in advance and you have insurance in case of any damage. You wouldn't have to worry about a Katrina happening in Florida either (it was only so bad in New Orleans because of the geographical shape of the city...NO is basically a bowl).

Seattle should be fine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.