Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does anyone else feel that our country is too rude, inconsiderate, and hurried these days?
Yes! 35 63.64%
No. 13 23.64%
Its always been this way. 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,549,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Exactly. Cities seem to be breeding grounds for stressed out / cranky people.

Too bad rural living doesn't provide an adequate salary.
And I've encountered some truly sour people in rural areas where there isn't enough tourism money to really keep the economy humming. Some of the most sour people I ever met were in the western U.P. of all places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 01:48 AM

6,685 posts, read 12,198,622 times
Currently, the nation is going through hard times especially with the economy, and that tends to stress many people out. The late 00's are like the "new early 90's", another time period when we were in a recession and there were a lot of rude, inconsiderate, and stressed out people. The crime rate was bad back then, just as it is now.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:17 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,266,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Exactly. Cities seem to be breeding grounds for stressed out / cranky people.

Too bad rural living doesn't provide an adequate salary.
Aww, and small towns are full of gossip hens that you can't get away from.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,922,248 times
I am always shocked when I leave the haven of my Maine to go out into the other part of America at how suspicious people are (and I guess that could make them rude).. If I tried to make small talk (at a grocery store or other place- and by small talk, I mean me saying things like "I love those shoes" or something similar), the eyes would narrow and I could almost see the thought bubble above their heads thinking "what does this person want?" or "what is this person up to?". Random acts of kindness or social interaction are seen as suspicious. And likewise- many people seem to limit many of their interaction due to the fear (or seeking) of lawsuits and other such friendly stuff- When visiting her in CT, I saw that my mil's neighbor's garbage cans had blown accross the street (and onto her property) and said "I should go out and return those to him", and she was more concerned that I shouldn't touch his property (the trash cans) or step on to his property (to return them) without permission. Wow.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:40 AM

6,373 posts, read 11,176,835 times
If you think Connecticut is bad you should try out the area surrounding Kansas City. If you even say "hello" to a woman she automatically thinks you are hitting on her and are asking her out or want something. Never seen this level of stupidity even in New England.

I'm originally from Connecticut and I've never seen what you've described. I'm sure it exists however it may just be in certain kinds of neighborhoods. Most people that I know would appreciate someone taking the time to look out for their property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I am always shocked when I leave the haven of my Maine to go out into the other part of America at how suspicious people are (and I guess that could make them rude).. If I tried to make small talk (at a grocery store or other place- and by small talk, I mean me saying things like "I love those shoes" or something similar), the eyes would narrow and I could almost see the thought bubble above their heads thinking "what does this person want?" or "what is this person up to?". Random acts of kindness or social interaction are seen as suspicious. And likewise- many people seem to limit many of their interaction due to the fear (or seeking) of lawsuits and other such friendly stuff- When visiting her in CT, I saw that my mil's neighbor's garbage cans had blown accross the street (and onto her property) and said "I should go out and return those to him", and she was more concerned that I shouldn't touch his property (the trash cans) or step on to his property (to return them) without permission. Wow.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,995,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

No crime and no cocaine problems? Are you serious?
Well, I guess you are one of many that does not understand my dry sarcasm, but thanks for the history lesson for those not in the know!

I have seen this talk on here about how South Florida was great in the late 80s (ha!), so I was kind of spoofing on that. How soon we forget I guess...

Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,370,825 times
Mainly because they weren't raised right. Consideration is not innate, but rather a learned trait.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,549,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Well, I guess you are one of many that does not understand my dry sarcasm, but thanks for the history lesson for those not in the know!
Ah yes, you're just too clever for me and all.

There's a reason why emoticons exist when trying to communicate in the written word on message boards. You might try using them if you want to make yourself clear.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,033,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ah yes, you're just too clever for me and all.

There's a reason why emoticons exist when trying to communicate in the written word on message boards. You might try using them if you want to make yourself clear.
I think it was pretty clear to everyone else.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 AM

769 posts, read 2,239,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yes, especially in most metro areas. At least you can still find some civility in many parts of rural America.
What parts of rural America are you visiting? I've met some of the most intolerant people in rural America. That whole idea that people in rural America are more civil is just a stereotype. I do not want to start an argument but I can easily say I've met as many negative jerks in rural areas as in big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.