Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Large black Haitian population.

Large Black Population

Large Black Population

Large Black Population

Large Black Population

Large Black Population

Large Black Population

Unsure, but there is a large Caribbean population, as well as a significant black population, and much of the population is transient.

Large Black Population

The correction should be: "Report warns of Southern Blacks AIDS crisis".

Political correctness in the media tends to not tell the true story.

Why do you not see Johnson City, Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, Nashville, Tennessee, etc.? I mean, they're in the South. Most likely because they have much lower black populations, percentage-wise.

To those who doubt the validity of what I'm saying, here are some links that indicate the differences in the AIDS rate among whites and blacks in the U.S.

"The rates of new infections in heterosexual men were lower, but still showed a very large disparity with other races: 35.5 per 100,000 blacks, compared to 1.1 for whites, 10.9 for Hispanics and 2.3 for Asians/Pacific Islanders".

Source: African American HIV & AIDS statistics
Was it really necessary to go out and blame the high rates on blacks???? People already know AIDs is high amongst the African American population, no need to go and point it out.

Do you seriously just love blaming every problem going on in the south on blacks???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Was it really necessary to go out and blame the high rates on blacks???? People already know AIDs is high amongst the African American population, no need to go and point it out.

Do you seriously just love blaming every problem going on in the south on blacks???
I don't think ScraperEnthusiast was blaming black people. I think he/she was trying to make a point that it's a huge problem that is affecting the black community dispropotionately, and that education and other efforts to stem the spread of the virus may not be as widely available in the black community as they need to be. I can't speak for the poster, but that's the take I had on it.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:39 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't think ScraperEnthusiast was blaming black people. I think he/she was trying to make a point that it's a huge problem that is affecting the black community dispropotionately, and that education and other efforts to stem the spread of the virus may not be as widely available in the black community as they need to be. I can't speak for the poster, but that's the take I had on it.
Sorry but I didn't get any of that from what ScraperEnthusiast said. Seems as though he was pointing fingers. A lot of big cities have a large Black American population; Chicago, New York, St. Louis, etc, etc.....with higher than normal sexual transmitted diseases per capita (same for Caucasians). This doesn't however explain why Blacks are more likely to fall victim of the desease than other races. Perhaps there is an economic link between AIDS and the poor; i.e. India has the most aids cases in the world(5.7million), 27.5% (approx 275 million) of it's people live below the poverty line. South Africa has 5.5million cases with a population that is 57% (approx 25million) under the poverty line. My point is the higher percentage of people under the poverty line equates to a larger amount of people living with aids per capita; Blacks in the United States have a higher percentage of people under the poverty line. I'm sure there are other variables to be accounted for, but poverty is a huge issue.
It's interesting that on this site almost any thread someone brings race/ color into the equation when most of the time it isn't necessary. AIDS ISN'T A RESPECTER OF COLOR, IT DOESN'T CARE IF YOUR BLACK WHITE OR CANDY STRIPED, IT WILL KILL YOU.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Try reading some of his other posts and comment back.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,518 times
Some of you can't accept the truth. The facts are that blacks have a much higher rate of the AIDS disease, and so in cities that have high percentages of blacks, the rate of AIDS is going to be higher. I'm not out to make people look bad, but am rather stating the primary reason why these cities have higher rates of AIDS.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Quote:
Some of you can't accept the truth. The facts are that blacks have a much higher rate of the AIDS disease, and so in cities that have high percentages of blacks, the rate of AIDS is going to be higher. I'm not out to make people look bad, but am rather stating the primary reason why these cities have higher rates of AIDS.
Because more Blacks have AIDS isn't a reason those cities have a higher rate of aids. Where is the ration there? I think it's more a cause and effect thing or trickle down system if you will; i.e. (just a hypothesis) People who live below the poverty line are more likely to contract AIDS, Black Americans per capita have the most amount of people living under the poverty line in an urban setting, therefore Black Americans have higher rates of AIDS cases in the United States.

I think this is an American/ Global issue rather than a race one.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
very sad

Old 09-29-2008, 04:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
I did some consulting for the Southern AIDS Coalition several years ago. Even then, they stressed that the AIDS infection rate among blacks was nearing the 1% mark. Now, mind you, they don't have a racial axe to grind. But, according to them, it was almost impossible to promote safe sex in the black communities for a number of important reasons:

1) A social abhorrence against gays, resulting in a lot of gay and bi activity to go underground.
2) A general dislike of condoms.
3) Far fewer long-term relationships and far more casual sex. In this situation, there's similar correlation between other STDs and pregnancies outside of wedlock.
4) A general refusal of black churches, the center of black communities, to confront the problem. In fact, one of the prevalent issues they were facing was that of black church leaders believing that AIDS was manufactured by the CIA as some great holocaust--believe it or not.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Quote:
It has the fewest numbers of blacks and "Hispanics", the two groups that have the highest AIDS rate.
actually your link : African American HIV & AIDS statistics
Say that Hispanics and the 3rd highest.
But aside. That was very politically incorrect. Not saying anything you didn't already know.

African Americans do have a higher AIDS rate, but its partly due to popular culture.
I don't really know what to say, under fear of making myself real racist or under fear of lying to myself...

Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I did some consulting for the Southern AIDS Coalition several years ago. Even then, they stressed that the AIDS infection rate among blacks was nearing the 1% mark. Now, mind you, they don't have a racial axe to grind. But, according to them, it was almost impossible to promote safe sex in the black communities for a number of important reasons:

1) A social abhorrence against gays, resulting in a lot of gay and bi activity to go underground.
2) A general dislike of condoms.
3) Far fewer long-term relationships and far more casual sex. In this situation, there's similar correlation between other STDs and pregnancies outside of wedlock.
4) A general refusal of black churches, the center of black communities, to confront the problem. In fact, one of the prevalent issues they were facing was that of black church leaders believing that AIDS was manufactured by the CIA as some great holocaust--believe it or not.
cpg thanks for pointing out the obvious. This really isn't about race but more of a cultural issue. Your first point is to what is reffered as the "down low" where black men have sex with other men are not openly gay due to social pressures from others in the black community not to appear to be gay or sissy like.
The other is the black churches which won't even discuss this issue openly.There was a news report recently where a reverend started talking about homosexuality & HIV/Aids and lost more than halk of his congregation because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.