Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
I agree with this. There's too much of a midwestern presence in Kentucky to classify it as truly Southern, at least not compared to Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc.
There is a midwestern presence in plenty of places. I was suprised at how many Midwest and Mid-America named companies in Nashville which is definately Southern!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
There is a midwestern presence in plenty of places. I was suprised at how many Midwest and Mid-America named companies in Nashville which is definately Southern!
The difference is the midwestern presence is an inherent part of Kentucky's culture, owing mostly to it bordering unambiguously midwestern states like Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. There's no magic that happens when you cross over a river that you're suddenly in a completely different culture. There's a gradual transition from Midwestern into Southern, and Kentucky comprises a huge chunk of that transition zone.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
The least Southern part of Kentucky is the 71/75/64 triangle. Go outside that and there's pretty much no doubt you're in the South.
I still agree with this.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 PM

42 posts, read 109,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I'll preface this by saying I have not read this thread ... but I am from southern Alabama.

For the most part, people in that region do not really think twice about Kentucky - other than when they might happen to be playing Auburn or Alabama in football. To that same respect, we recognize that Kentucky is in the SEC (southeastern conference), but do not really think of Kentucky as a "southern state". Or, more accurately, I guess it is considered semi-southern, but not part of the "deep south" which is typically just called "the south" by us. In general (according to most from my region of origin), Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Northern/Central Florida, and South Carolina carry the "deep south" tag. Outside of that, a state might be "kind-of southern", but not completely southern.

As for a couple of responses that I did read, I agree that WV and KY are kindof southern in spirit ... but VA? Never been there, but I don't see VA as southern personally.

Maybe I am out of touch though. Was born in and lived in Alabama for all of my life practically until recently, but I have always said "you guys" and never would say "ya'll". But I will say that the thought of saying "soda pop" disgusts me .
I dont know if anyone is tryin to say that KY is part of the deep south. I'm from kentucky and i wouldnt call us the "deep south", southern? yes without a doubt! And Ive never heard of TN, SC as part of the "deep south"....

Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM

42 posts, read 109,697 times
Quote:
It's right behind the sign that says, "Hey Kentuckians, bluegrass is ugly and basketball is for schools who can't play football. Welcome to Alabama!"

I like alabama but if i ever see this for myself, i think i'll have a change of heart for AL....

Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyBlue View Post
I dont know if anyone is tryin to say that KY is part of the deep south. I'm from kentucky and i wouldnt call us the "deep south", southern? yes without a doubt! And Ive never heard of TN, SC as part of the "deep south"....
Tennessee? probably not but South Carolina is Deep South. Look at the map below.(Yes I know wikipedia can be edited by anyone)

Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 AM

South Carolina is deep south, North Carolina isn't. Tennessee isn't either.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
but do not really think of Kentucky as a "southern state". Or, more accurately, I guess it is considered semi-southern, but not part of the "deep south" which is typically just called "the south" by us. In general (according to most from my region of origin), Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Northern/Central Florida, and South Carolina carry the "deep south" tag.
This is where Tennessee was mentioned.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The difference is the midwestern presence is an inherent part of Kentucky's culture, owing mostly to it bordering unambiguously midwestern states like Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. There's no magic that happens when you cross over a river that you're suddenly in a completely different culture. There's a gradual transition from Midwestern into Southern, and Kentucky comprises a huge chunk of that transition zone.
I am going to have to interject, and disagree. I certainly think there is some midwestern influence in Ky, esp in L-ville and NKY. However, in other parts, it is a whole other world. Evansville, IN and Henderson, KY are very different places. So are Owensboro and Spencer County. There is some similarities as you would expect; but I have experienced it first hand, Southern Indiana and Western KY are VERY different. One is much more southern, and one is very much not southern.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I am going to have to interject, and disagree. I certainly think there is some midwestern influence in Ky, esp in L-ville and NKY. However, in other parts, it is a whole other world. Evansville, IN and Henderson, KY are very different places. So are Owensboro and Spencer County. There is some similarities as you would expect; but I have experienced it first hand, Southern Indiana and Western KY are VERY different. One is much more southern, and one is very much not southern.
I was talking about the differences in Indiana and Kentucky to my mom yesterday and one thing most people don't realize is that there is no major city or town between Indianapolis and Louisville. Southern Indiana is largely tiny towns and still alot of farms. It makes more sense to me to argue that they have alot of influence from us as opposed to the other way around. Northern Kentucky however is the opposite. That is not to say they aren't Southern, just that they have MUCH more midwestern influence from Cinci than we do from Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.