Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM

42 posts, read 109,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
It is a southern state, but you could have rightly said, "there are plenty of southerners in Florida". You didn't have to ad the "hick" part.

What does the word "hick" mean to you???

Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 PM

42 posts, read 109,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
From the GRITS Guide to Life book here's a picture and descriptionof the South that I agree with:

Missy Meier's Photos | Facebook

and a closer look: Missy Meier's Photos | Facebook

I thought it was a very good map! Defined the south very well.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I just mean when I think of the South I think of the deep south, Florida dosent seem too Southern to me, I just feel like TN and KY could be there own region but I know they are both Southern. The southern Wisconsin remark was me being a smart a$$. I also consider VA a mid-atlantic state.

Its like when people think of the Southwest, which I only cosider is New Mexico,Arizona and El Paso, but others will add in Colorado,Utah,Southern Calif.Nevada and some of W.Oklahoma

you don't make any sense?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Is El Paso a state?

...Not the rest western TX, only El Paso!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
From the GRITS Guide to Life book here's a picture and descriptionof the South that I agree with:

Missy Meier's Photos | Facebook

and a closer look: Missy Meier's Photos | Facebook
Well done MissyMom! That map comes as close as any map as I've ever seen to describing the cultural and geographic South. The only amendment I have is this: Instead of calling Oklahoma the "Deep South II" (cause Oklahoma obviously has a more "western" feel than the Deep South)...perhaps we could call it the "Cowboy South" or something like that. Either way, great job and thanks Sister.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
It is a southern state, but you could have rightly said, "there are plenty of southerners in Florida". You didn't have to ad the "hick" part.
I suppose I could have had I known someone would throw a tantrum over it.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I consider most of KY to be in the "south", but Louisville and the area outside of Cincinnati don't seem that way to me, for some reason. Certainly Western Kentucky feels the same way that Middle TN does to me. Easygoing, farming communities, good people...just like Mid TN.
This is the way I feel as well, but I also picture eastern Kentucky as a coal-centric place like West Virginia, but I am probably off-base, because I have never spent time there.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Well done MissyMom! That map comes as close as any map as I've ever seen to describing the cultural and geographic South. The only amendment I have is this: Instead of calling Oklahoma the "Deep South II" (cause Oklahoma obviously has a more "western" feel than the Deep South)...perhaps we could call it the "Cowboy South" or something like that. Either way, great job and thanks Sister.

On that map it looks like big parts of TN is mountain and horse states

Old 07-29-2008, 12:43 AM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Missymom, how come certain parts of states aren't included in The Deep South but the rest of the state is and just why isn't the historically Deep South state of South Carolina not in there?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Missymom, how come certain parts of states aren't included in The Deep South but the rest of the state is and just why isn't the historically Deep South state of South Carolina not in there?
Honey I believe that the maker of that map are showing the different types of cultures throughout the South but it is not an exact map I don't guess, you kinda have to look pretty darn close to see the state lines. To the rest of you who thanked me, you are all welcome. I am just glad I found it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.