Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,529 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been talking for a while to relocate to a warmer place. We currently live in Chicago, IL with our two kids (2 and 4). I'm a Nationally Board Certified Spanish teacher with 6 years of experience and she is a librarian at a public library with almost two years of experience. Together, we make about $100,000. We have a pretty decent life and we are the owners of a single family home with three bedrooms in a pretty good area of the city.

However, every time that cold winter comes by, we always start to talk about that time when we move to a warmer place. We have done our research in Google and the first thing that we noticed are the salaries: they are way lower (from $34,000-$43,000 for teachers in our targeted areas).

Some people tells us not to worry because the cost of living is cheaper, etc... We are just not sure if we are going to have a comparable type of living conditions in a warmer place. Basically, we want to know if we will have to get a second job or something on the side to cover for the missing income...

Our target warm places for relocation are:

-Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Dallas or any other interesting city or suburb)
-Florida (Orlando, Miami, Tampa or any other interesting city or suburb)
-Arizona (?)
-New Mexico (?)
-California (San Diego or any other nice city or suburb where purchasing a house is something normal for teachers and librarians)

Any comments or suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
You can probably cross California off your list due to economy (lots of laid off teachers and librarians also out there looking for work) and high cost of living. I don't know the San Diego housing market specifically, but I think you'll probably have a tough time affording a house that size in a nice neighborhood with decent schools with that salary.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Florida. Orlando Or Tampa. Two Great Cities To Raise Your Children. Here We Have "Surrounding Counties" that make up our metros. Look into Seminole County, Pinellas County, Orange County, Brevard County, Hillsborough County.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:45 PM

173 posts, read 402,009 times
Cross Texas off of the list............. There are 0 and I mean 0 jobs for librarians here. Teaching jobs are really tight unless you want to work at an urban school in the most undesirable positions. There are three huge library and information science schools, the only state with 3. There are grads from 2006-2010 all looking for jobs, not to mention all of the ones that got let go due to funding drops over the past two years, competition is steep, especially in cities. To work at a university you need a bachelors and at least two masters, plus three years of university teaching experience, that is if you even see an opening. Sometimes I see small town library openings, but they want you to do a lot of work for low pay.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
Cross Texas off of the list............. There are 0 and I mean 0 jobs for librarians here. Teaching jobs are really tight unless you want to work at an urban school in the most undesirable positions. There are three huge library and information science schools, the only state with 3. There are grads from 2006-2010 all looking for jobs, not to mention all of the ones that got let go due to funding drops over the past two years, competition is steep, especially in cities. To work at a university you need a bachelors and at least two masters, plus three years of university teaching experience, that is if you even see an opening. Sometimes I see small town library openings, but they want you to do a lot of work for low pay.
Ignore him . Come to Texas, we welcome you with open arms.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Florida. Orlando Or Tampa. Two Great Cities To Raise Your Children. Here We Have "Surrounding Counties" that make up our metros. Look into Seminole County, Pinellas County, Orange County, Brevard County, Hillsborough County.

lol Orlando is one of the most dangerous cities. Why would someone want to raise their children there? I had a student last year who moved from Orlando BACK to the south Bronx. I spoke to the father often, and he said the crime was a lot worse in Orlando. His other son got shot in a cross-fire. It says a lot if someone moves back to the south Bronx from Orlando.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Ignore him . Come to Texas, we welcome you with open arms.

But why would they move somewhere where the job opportunity in their field isn't really in demand?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I agree in terms of Orlando being dangerous. It has one of the worst violent crime rates in the US and the congestion is terrible. Its so backward that the city cannot even get its act together to initiate a decent public transit system. This from a city that has been exploding growth wise for the last 20 years.

I would highly recommend the Tampa Bay area as it is a far more pleasurable place to live, near what makes Florida a great place to live, the beaches. It is one off the top 20 populated metro areas in the country, so there is plenty to do. The cost of living is low, real estate prices are very reasonable and there are some great family-friendly areas (good schools) to choose from. Off the top of my head: Land O' Lakes, Safety Harbor, Carrollwood, Palm Harbor and Oldsmar.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree in terms of Orlando being dangerous. It has one of the worst violent crime rates in the US and the congestion is terrible. Its so backward that the city cannot even get its act together to initiate a decent public transit system. This from a city that has been exploding growth wise for the last 20 years.
Absolutely ridiculous. The Orlando area is no more dangerous OR congested than the Tampa Bay area. Just stay away from the hood. Seminole County in particular is like a huge slice of middle-America suburbia, with great schools, little to no crime and a nice quality of life.

Last time I checked, Orlando was getting ready to launch a pretty impressive Commuter Rail project, SunRail. What has the Bay Area planned? Oh, that's right - nothing yet.
SunRail | Changing the Way Central Florida Travels

To the OP - Please disregard this garbage being spewed about Orlando, including the fictional tale told earlier about returning to the South Bronx.

Wherever you end up, hopefully you can filter the bad and downright misleading advice from the good. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.