Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM

7 posts, read 17,555 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

This fall I am taking my Mother on a special trip. She loves fall, anything to do with the harvest, Halloween, fall foliage, pumpkins, apple cider, etc.

Which cities and areas are best for the whole Fall experience? I am looking for a place that has crisp weather, pumpkins, gorgeous leaves, fall or harvest festivals, or just anything to do that is fun! Also, any old cemetary suggestions would be grand. We love to admire old headstones (I know it sounds creepy but it's not, I swear!). Any suggestions on dates would be great too. Is early October better or the middle of October?

I'm from southern California where there really aren't seasons, and I would love to be able to experience it all.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Anywhere in Vermont or New Hampshire.

Keene, NH has the famous pumpkin festival: Keene, NH Pumpkin Festival by Center Stage

Beautiful Sandwich, NH is known for its autumn fair: THE SANDWICH FAIR - NEW HAMPSHIRE

Both towns have a lot of beautiful scenic drives in the area. Keene is close to charming villages like Harrisville, Hancock, Jaffrey, Walpole, and Marlow. Sandwich is near Squam Lake (featured in the film "On Golden Pond") and Lake Winnipesaukee (great stops are Wolfeboro and the Castle in the Clouds). If you go sometime within the first two weeks of October, you will also catch extraordinary scenery in the White Mountains, particularly along the Kancamagus Highway and Bear Notch Road.

Any back road in Vermont is fabulous for autumn foliage. Two of my favorite little towns to visit are Woodstock and Grafton. Further north in the state, you'll find dramatic mountain scenery near towns like Stowe, and plenty of other beautiful villages like Danville and Peacham.

The foliage usually peaks in the more northern / mountainous areas of VT and NH by the end of the first week of October, and in the southern areas by the end of the second week. Columbus Day weekend is usually great for leaf-peeping but this is also one of the busiest tourism weekends in the region, so book early.

Oh, and it's hard *not* to find an old cemetery in New England. If you do some googling you'll come up with plenty of old cemeteries in the towns I mentioned, I'm sure.

Last edited by Verseau; 07-27-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it! They look amazing!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Boston area, particularly in the Salem area. I think they have some events pertaining to the witch trials. It's a beautiful place to see in the fall.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times
Others have already said what I was going to.

New England is full of everything you want. foliage is good everywhere during the fall (although you want to make sure you're there at the right time. for example, Halloween is late for most of NH, and VT and trees with have lost a lot of leaves. Southern New England is better for this time. Different parts of New England peak at different times, although all probably in October.)

Salem is a lot of fun around Halloween. Lots of haunted houses since the witch trails have turned into a major novelty for the city.

Apple cider is everywhere in new england. I always went apple picking as a kid in late sept/early oct and then went to pick out pumpkins at the same time or a bit later (all in the Boston area, although a bit further out than where i live)

Old cemetarys are everywhere. literally all over.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Syracuse NY has an Apple Festival just south of the city in the town of LaFayette. It's in the hills and the valleys with Route 20, which is also called the Apple Valley Turnpike being the road that has plenty of orchards along it or close by. There are pumpkins, hayrides and apple picking at many of these places. It is also close to the Onondaga Indian Nation Reservation too.

A major orchard that many people go to is Beak& Skiff, which is pretty big.

Great foliage and views as well.

There are other orchards throughout the area and if you want something "interesting" to check out, there is an area of Cedarvale Road called 13 Curves, where there is a legend where you see ghosts supposedly at night.

You can look all of this up and more.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 AM

@TANaples, @TheWereRabbit, @Verseau and @ckhthankgod, thanks so much for your valuable input! I greatly appreciate it! I'm so excited now that I'm armed with all of this good info!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I'm not here to make any suggestions, I just want to know if you can stop by here and take me along?
It sounds like a wonderful trip!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM

613 posts, read 2,308,010 times
Quote:
Also, any old cemetary suggestions would be grand. We love to admire old headstones (I know it sounds creepy but it's not, I swear!). Any suggestions on dates would be great too. Is early October better or the middle of October?
Not sure if you're planning on making it to Boston, but we have some fascinating old cemeteries dating back to the early 1600s. A number of historical figures are buried here (John Hancock, Paul Revere, Samuel Adams). Visit the three oldest cemeteries in Boston

Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Definitely New England; anywhere from Connecticut to Maine will be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.