Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:21 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times

Advertisements

You might go to the US Consul and see if they have had summer job postings--in some countries they do. I'd also suggest you do an on-line search for exchange students--there are many.

Immigration to the US is not easy; visas for permanent status are difficult to obtain and standards for permission to work are strenuous. You can find out all the details and clearly at the Consul or Embassy in Spain--whichever is closest to you.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XploD View Post
Hi all!
I'm a Spanish boy, studying computer engineering and I'd like to live in the usa at least in summer, but I'm afraid I can't afford it. So I'd need to leave Spain with a job offer in your contry.

Does anyone know where to start?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 10:26 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,062 times
ontheroad is right.
Your best bet is to find some kind of student visa. But im not so sure you can come and work for three months on a student visa. Dont you have to study ??

As for work, you cant just apply for a job at McDonalds, get hired and come over. There is visas. they cost the company alot of money to do. So basically you need to be really really good at your job, and they cant find it locally for cheaper. Hell youre from Spain, why not work in Europe, you dont need visas for that :d

Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Brian, some student visas permit work study not all. It is a difficult process; I've helped dozens of students get J and H visas over the years with science backgrounds and it was tough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
ontheroad is right.
Your best bet is to find some kind of student visa. But im not so sure you can come and work for three months on a student visa. Dont you have to study ??

As for work, you cant just apply for a job at McDonalds, get hired and come over. There is visas. they cost the company alot of money to do. So basically you need to be really really good at your job, and they cant find it locally for cheaper. Hell youre from Spain, why not work in Europe, you dont need visas for that :d

Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 AM

I hear ya ontheroad. Its tough, but probably his easiest option, no? For the reason i stated above, with employers looking to bring in imigrants its extremely difficult and expensive.
Im form Ireland and have experienced the immigration process first hand. I know how extremely difficult it is to do things legally here. Which i think is a good thing btw.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 AM

I don't know how European immigration to the States is working these days, but I believe it is as tough as it can get! Glad you were able to sort out your process.

Now that the EU has so much latitude, it may be that European's wishing to emigrate to the US think it is also easier to come here to the States. Sure isn't!

The legal way is always the best way, and trying to take short cuts generally back-fires. I could list a dozen or more young people who got caught in self-made traps by thinking it was easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I hear ya ontheroad. Its tough, but probably his easiest option, no? For the reason i stated above, with employers looking to bring in imigrants its extremely difficult and expensive.
Im form Ireland and have experienced the immigration process first hand. I know how extremely difficult it is to do things legally here. Which i think is a good thing btw.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:08 AM

Yup, those self made traps hurt alot hehe.
Moving to the US was never an option to me untill my wife got homesick. If you stand back and take a realistic look at moving the US (legally) it will persuade some people not to do it i think. The costs and time involved are huge. Its difficult moving, but to a different continent its even more difficult.
Moving within the EU is easy for a european. They have to let you in, give you social security numbers, let you get a job etc. I think thats great. The US has stepped up its process for legals to get in here, which is also good imho. It was WAY too easy to come here for many years.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:17 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,082 times
I'd also look into the Raleigh/Durham, NC area. A very big hi-tech area who's cost of living is a fraction of that in the Bay Area. Not trying to knock the Bay Area (it's a very beautiful area), it's just you get more for your money and your money will go farther in RDU. Good luck!!

Old 01-28-2007, 03:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,106 times
There are special summer work visas for students from quite a few countries. I'm not sure exactly how they get them but in Ocean City, Maryland, a popular summer getaway from DC residents, during summers, some 50% of the workers on the Boardwalk and elsewhere in town are "summer immigrants", students on temporary visas, largely from Eastern Europe. Do some googling (and I'll do the same) to research it. From the articles I've read about these students, it seemed to be fairly easy for them to secure the temporary visas, although it required a hefty fee at first, but that fee would be quickly recouped through work. Many students from these countries come over, work two or three jobs, and earn enough money for an entire year or two's worth of studying back in their home countries.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,242 times
Yeah that's actually an excellent idea. The same thing applies for the Jersey shore. Tons of Europeans will come over and work for the summer at the boardwalk.

I dont' know how much of a true American experience they would get though since they would be hanging out on the beach all the time. Doesn't seem like such a bad thing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
There are special summer work visas for students from quite a few countries. I'm not sure exactly how they get them but in Ocean City, Maryland, a popular summer getaway from DC residents, during summers, some 50% of the workers on the Boardwalk and elsewhere in town are "summer immigrants", students on temporary visas, largely from Eastern Europe. Do some googling (and I'll do the same) to research it. From the articles I've read about these students, it seemed to be fairly easy for them to secure the temporary visas, although it required a hefty fee at first, but that fee would be quickly recouped through work. Many students from these countries come over, work two or three jobs, and earn enough money for an entire year or two's worth of studying back in their home countries.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:41 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,234 times
This is a joke...right? I don't know a single Spaniard or individuals from Latin America who don't know the process.

First of all, you will not find anyone to sponsor you unless you have a college degree and can demonstrate that you have a skill that can not be filled through the marketplace.

If you have family here, which many do, and they own their own business, then there is a possibility of a sponsorship, but it's not so straight forward.

Second, if you come here hoping to find work on a tourist visa then you will have to find work as an illegal alien which means ... oh... maybe $6 an hour. Or, then again, there is always construction work which does pay well.

Having said all this, I find that people who are hungry enough (ambitious) always find a way to achieve their goal. So if you really want to come here and don't mind living in poverty for a while ... isn't this the land of opportunity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.