Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
It will happen sometime. Large countries like the US can't last. Rome, and the USSR for example.
That's not true. Even Small Countries don't last (Checkoslovokia, Yugoslavia, how many countries have the same boundries and names that they used to?). Its so dumb to talk about this subject though, as if it hasn't been brought up before, and because every says how bad washington is for some reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,176 times
Quote:
It will happen sometime. Large countries like the US can't last. Rome, and the USSR for example.
Didn't Rome last for 1,000 years? 500 years of that as a Republic? The U.S. is only 232 years old. So if the U.S. lasts as long as the Republic of Rome, the country will end in the year 2276.

If you are talking about Rome in its entirety, and the U.S. lasts that long, it will end around 2776 A.D. By that time, I hope to be living on a different planet anyways.

Last edited by tenken627; 08-26-2008 at 02:06 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Likewise I would think CA would go it alone, not much in common with NM, AZ, NV.[/quote]

...except for the fact that many Californians are moving to these areas.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
The US is a lot like China: you had several large and distinct regions who were forcably united by one man (Qin in China, Lincoln in the US). Although these regions have there own distinct culture, they prosper more economically by unity, which keeps succession threats at a minumum.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:25 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Didn't Rome last for 1,000 years? 500 years of that as a Republic? The U.S. is only 232 years old. So if the U.S. lasts as long as the Republic of Rome, the country will end in the year 2276.

If you are talking about Rome in its entirety, and the U.S. lasts that long, it will end around 2776 A.D. By that time, I hope to be living on a different planet anyways.
True but things change much faster than they use to. 50 years now is like 200 back then.

By the way, I hope to be dead by then.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
That's not true. Even Small Countries don't last (Checkoslovokia, Yugoslavia, how many countries have the same boundries and names that they used to?). Its so dumb to talk about this subject though, as if it hasn't been brought up before, and because every says how bad washington is for some reason
You don't think Washington is full of corruption on all sides? The culture in areas like the NW is completely different from the entire east coast where power is concentrated. All desicions are better left local.

And why is it dumb? It's mostly hypothetical, but surely not dumb. Ignoring the ever growing dissatifaction with the direction that the US is going in is dumb.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The US is a lot like China: you had several large and distinct regions who were forcably united by one man (Qin in China, Lincoln in the US). Although these regions have there own distinct culture, they prosper more economically by unity, which keeps succession threats at a minumum.
But the economy is going down, and fast. Look at inflation.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:56 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Are you people out of your freakin' minds?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,176 times
Quote:
You don't think Washington is full of corruption on all sides? The culture in areas like the NW is completely different from the entire east coast where power is concentrated. All desicions are better left local.

And why is it dumb? It's mostly hypothetical, but surely not dumb. Ignoring the ever growing dissatifaction with the direction that the US is going in is dumb.
But, aren't the people in charge of the government elected from places like the NW, and not Washington D.C.?

Isn't George W. Bush from Texas and Connecticut?

Aren't Senators Larry E. Craig and Mike Crapo from Idaho, well, from Idaho? Or elected by the people of Idaho? Isn't Congressman Mike Simpson representing Boise from Boise or nearby?

Wouldn't that still hold true if the government was located in the Northwest instead of the East? So why does the culture matter?

All these politicians are not from Washington D.C., and "shockingly" most of them are not from the East.

They are from everywhere in the country, including Boise. Ironically, the only place in the nation that isn't represented is actually Washington D.C.

Last edited by tenken627; 08-26-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 04:38 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:

you really think there is a capital city on Earth with no corruption? WOW.

So you are telling me that because the culture is different in different parts of the country, in a country that accepts all cultures, which is what it is totally made up of, we should split up into little sovereign nations?

Are you serious, you don't think DC is where the power would be, the capital of one of the most powerful countries is that really a surprise to you?

Its dumb to me because its been discussed so much and people dis DC left and right. i thought i already said that. Am i ignoring it? Never realized that in my post where i didn't say anything close to ignoring the differences we have. Just because regions become distinct means they have to break apart ?? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.