Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:55 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,942 times

Advertisements

very very sad situation in Louisiana, Parts of southern Mississippi, southern Alabama and Eastern Texas.... im kinda thinking ...is it even worth living down there in the Gulf of Mexico with all these major Hurricanes Hammering the Area? Is New Orleans going to eventually become Inhospitable after this storm makes landfall?

Tell me what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:38 PM

937 posts, read 865,124 times
I certainly hope that doesn't happen. I just wish all of the residence the best of luck for preparing for the arrival of Gustav.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
not at all. NO was inhospitable to live in long b4 Katrina. mom is from New Orleans.
not the town i lived in as a child. it got evil. the weather is a side issue. fyi i am non white.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,965,236 times
I doubt it, looks like the storm is falling apart, all this time over the water and it is getting weaker must be something in the upper atmosphere ripping it up.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:57 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,440,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
I doubt it, looks like the storm is falling apart, all this time over the water and it is getting weaker must be something in the upper atmosphere ripping it up.
Hurricane Katrina was a Category 3 storm when it hit New Orleans, just like this one is expected to be. Unless this one drops down to a Cat 2, it could possibly be very bad like Katrina. We just need to hope the levees can hold. The government is doing a much better job with evacuations this time and it looks like even if rescues need to happen, it will be MUCH smoother and there is no Superdome to worry about.

The city can always be rebuilt, but if something bad happens, I think less people will return to the city than before and it will see a huge population drop again. You can love a city a ton, but there will be those who get fed up with how hurricanes can affect this particular city.

Best wishes and prayers to all of you along the projected path. Hopefully you are out of the way and to safety.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:43 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
If New Orleans is wiped out again it is time to consider it uninhabitable. Why continue to waste the taxpayers dollars on a city that is below sea level and prone to be destroyed time and again by Mother Nature?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:37 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,823,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
If New Orleans is wiped out again it is time to consider it uninhabitable. Why continue to waste the taxpayers dollars on a city that is below sea level and prone to be destroyed time and again by Mother Nature?
I've never been to New Orleans, though I've always been in love with the idea of the city... But I have to wonder about people down there in the Gulf Coast. Yes there are risks to living anywhere, but when that risk comes EVERY year and the cost could be having your entire life wiped out in a heartbeat... Why would you stay there? It's only going to get worse with global climate change and the new, more extreme weather patterns that are being created.

And as an aside, my heart goes out to everyone who was affected by Katrina and I can only hope that Gustav continues to lose steam before hitting landfall. My thoughts are with the people of the Gulf Coast right now.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
Could you not tear down the homes that are still standing, build up the land, and rebuild? Or would that be too expensive?

Any place has dangers. California is sitting on a big fault. The New Madrid fault could flatten Memphis and St. Louis.

You can't abandoned every place that has natural disasters.

But if any citizens of New Orleans wants to leave after the hurricane, I don't blame him/her.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:09 PM

217 posts, read 346,608 times
Has anybody noticed that the US has some dangerous and unpredictable weather, more so than anywhere else in the world.

Earthquakes in the west, Tornados and flooding in the middle, Hurricanes hammering the east coast, gulf coast, and Florida, huge thunderstorms in the south. Doesn't seem like there is a safe place to live.

The area in which i am living right now(toronto) is pretty calm weather wise. We don't get earthquakes, no flooding, the hurricanes never reach us. We do get snow storms in the winter and mild thunderstorms in the summer but nothing that can compare to the US.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:21 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,691,424 times
If we did abandon New Orleans, what would we do with all the buildings there? What about the Saints, where would they go? And what about Mardi Gras?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.