Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 AM

57 posts, read 162,222 times

Advertisements

These Once Great Cities Are Headed In A Downward Spiral With No Chance Of Recovery. There Is Little Question These Cities Have Suffered Economic Erosion During The Last Quarter Century.no Single Indicator Captures The Decline Of These Cities More Directly Then Population ,As Americans Vote With Their Feet Against These Areas ' Destructive Economic Policies And Social Policies. Over The Last 5 Years The Above Amentioned Cities Have Lost Approx. 7 To 8 Million Natives Who Have Migrated Outbound, This Continous Exodus Is Happening Now And Is Being Severly Under-reported By The Media. This Large Exodus Is Happening For Multiple Reasons, Please Share Your Ideas On Why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
You're kidding, right? I haven't been to any of the other cities recently but NYC is looking better than ever. Certainly night and day from when I lived there 30 years ago.

What premise is it you're basing your conclusion on?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:46 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Boston just finished the bigdig project, and the economy is booming. The city has gotten a huge face lift. Redevelopment projects are at an all time high.

NYC is also doing great. It's the safest it's ever been. It's recovered from 9/11. Strong property values continue to invest billions into the local economy.

LA's is overrun with illegals, but the economy is well-diversified and in 2006 LA was 5th in the US for job growth. Again property values are incredibly high and able to bring in billions of tax dollars.

I also dissagree with their anti-business sentiments, but don't see any clues hinting at a "dooming in the next 20 years."

Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
I also dont think those major cities are due for a collaspe. Yes alot of people are leaving and house prices are dropping but life goes on and those that choose to stay are content.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:08 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Population of cities in 1980 vs. 2000:

New York - 7,071,000
Los Angeles - 2,966,000
Chicago - 3,005,000
Boston - 562,000

New York - 8,008,000
Los Angeles - 3,694,000
Chicago - 2,896,000
Boston - 589,000

That's a combined net gain of over 1.5 million people during a 20 year span, and the cities have increased by another 200,000 over the past five years, with Chicago dropping slowly and Boston going back and forth.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:10 AM

57 posts, read 162,222 times
Believe What You Want To Believe, Take A Look At The Census Bureau's Population Outlook For The Next 30 Years, All 4 Cities
Have Been Having Interregional Shifts In Population And The Migration Of Indrustry, Especially In The Last 15 Years,the Root Cause Can Best Be Understood In Terms Of Changing Demographic,political And Economic Matrix Of The City Combined With Short-sighted Policies Toward Buisness Developement, With This Synergy Continualy Happening, These Cities In 15 Years Will Have A Few Rich People And Large Ghettos, No Political Or Financial Power. This Shift Is Happening And People Have No Idea.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
These Cities In 15 Years Will Have A Few Rich People And Large Ghettos, No Political Or Financial Power. This Shift Is Happening And People Have No Idea.
There has been a lot of redevelopment in Denver, too--but all this cosmetic surgery does not hide the cost of living. Gentrification means wonderful things for the upper echelons of the business sectors, but it's not so great for the mom and pop chocolate store down at the corner. The small businesses move out, the chains move in. Denver's Stapleton, the old airport redeveloped into housing/commercial, is an exception to this: it is real mixed-use infill, and it serves well in terms of affordable living. But that is just one subivision in a state which is experiencing explosive population growth.

I do think a middle class squeeze is going on. Many of America's large, great cities are becoming awfully elitist.
Economic growth is not necessarily leading to upward mobility for all.
Of course there are always poorer neighborhoods, but something else is going on here.

Young people always have flocked to places like Chicago and New York. It was an energetic place of opportunity, where someone would go to make it.
But I do see a shift occurring in terms of what kind of work there is, who is hiring, and how they operate. Unless you are a CEO or a board member of a large corporation, you can end up quite marginalized. Wages are not keeping up with prices.

Of course not everyone can live in the Gold Coast or Manhattan, or anywhere in San Francisco.
People who want to raise a family or retire must flee to cheaper environs, but what used to be "cheaper" is now ghetto.
There is nothing in between.

I am not saying that in 20 years our great cities will look like a smoky, grim, apocalyptic scene from the movie Children of Men. But this economic inequality does undermine our cities--and our nation as a whole.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:12 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
This must be a joke...

NYC, Chicago, and Boston are booming. People who live there love it! I'd expect them to gain a million people in the next 20 year, not lose any. You need to re-check your facts.

L.A. is the only city that I can see going down the toilet.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:54 AM

217 posts, read 961,587 times
To original poster. These major cities will not collapse! You have to know that major money flows into and out of these big cities daily and are headquarters to many companies, colleges, banks, etc. Yes, it is difficult to raise a family in these places due to costs/inflation, they move more affordable places if they haven't made themselves wealthy. But many young and mid-aged professionals, artists, writers, actors, teachers, athletes, executives, business owners and tycoons all live in these big cities. What I think you are refering to is the large segment of U.S. population called: BABY BOOMERS (50-60 year olds) who seek homes in other places. IRS and census track people by tax forms, when they put a new residence on these forms it looks as if they are all moving out in droves when indeed some actually post two residences. They're RETIREES now, they wanna be in Florida, Arizona, South Carolina or wherever. The economies are not doomed- there are just less generation Y and Eco Boomers replacing them. (ages 10-17) (18-30)

Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Nonsense, these cities are not doomed. Yes, there are some problems with the disparity of wealth which does greatly concern me, but it is not confined to the cities. However, in looking at the economic development of cities, one also has to look at Metro areas as relates to the local city economy, yes, chicago proper's population has declined (not nearly as much as pretty much every other every other city in the northern midwest, and we actually gained population in the last census, although a an interim guess in the last five years indicates some of that gain has been lost), but the suburban population has boomed and is growing (according to some estimates is either 8.5 million for urban metro area and 9.5 for entire metro area). I see little signs of Chicago dying, they are constantly building housing (even if it is ugly condos) and rents are rising, that is not the sign of a dying city.

Oh, and please do us a favor, do not capitalize every single word in your posts, it makes them difficult to read.

..and on a personal note, most of Chicago has vastly improved in the 30 years I've lived here (both city and burbs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.