Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times

Advertisements

Madison IN is a quaint river town on the IN/KY border. Plenty of B&B's in town and you should have a one-day (~6-7 hour) drive to Pittsburgh from that point.

I usually stop for a "stretch" in either Cambridge or Zanesville OH. I tend to like small towns as opposed to large cities.

Sounds like a fun trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 01:29 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Thanks for the ideas. Like you, I prefer small over big on a trip like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Madison IN is a quaint river town on the IN/KY border. Plenty of B&B's in town and you should have a one-day (~6-7 hour) drive to Pittsburgh from that point.

I usually stop for a "stretch" in either Cambridge or Zanesville OH. I tend to like small towns as opposed to large cities.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:16 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Onthe--If you want alternatives to chain hotels, go to Trip Advisor dot com. They list regular hotels, but also B&B's and have travelers' ratings of them. That's how I found the Priory Inn, which is in Pittsburgh, by the way. Also, for every state I've ever looked for B&Bs, I've found a B&B directory at the state's official travel/tourism web site. One other suggestion: There's a series of books called "Off the Beaten Path". Not sure if there's one for every state, but you could check Amazon dot com and see. These books list not only lodging, but also restaurants and all kinds of out of the way, sometimes offbeat attractions.

Happy travels! Wish I was going!

PS, to get in the mood, why don't you read Kerouac's book that he named after you ;-)

Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 PM

Great info, Ben Around - I'll check those books. I believe I had one but not with me.

Also, you can't see my age on this page, but I read Kerouac back around when he wrote that book, I believe . Perhaps it was subliminal and I chose my name in honour of all my mental and physical traveling over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Onthe--If you want alternatives to chain hotels, go to Trip Advisor dot com. They list regular hotels, but also B&B's and have travelers' ratings of them. That's how I found the Priory Inn, which is in Pittsburgh, by the way. Also, for every state I've ever looked for B&Bs, I've found a B&B directory at the state's official travel/tourism web site. One other suggestion: There's a series of books called "Off the Beaten Path". Not sure if there's one for every state, but you could check Amazon dot com and see. These books list not only lodging, but also restaurants and all kinds of out of the way, sometimes offbeat attractions.

Happy travels! Wish I was going!

PS, to get in the mood, why don't you read Kerouac's book that he named after you ;-)

Old 03-15-2007, 04:19 PM

Well, I've made it through nearly 6 states - but did not take any of the routes I had imagined.

Lost my transmission in Oklahoma City, and some of my enthusiasm for taking any off roads or side trips.

I've made it to about 50-75 miles from Charleston, W. Va - and then it's up north to Pittsburgh. Sitting in a Holiday Express eating Bob Evans take-out. Never been to Bob Evans; tastes real good and not expensive!

Couldn't drive another mile - rained all the way for more'n 300 miles.

Thanks to all for their recommendations and generous offers of hospitality.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
I'm sorry to hear about the transmission problems...but sounds like you have it all back together again. I really like Bob Evans, too. Their breakfasts are HUGE and very good, so you may want to try that before you leave tomorrow morning. Hope you have a very safe rest-of-the-trip!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the suggestion about Bob Evans' breakfast. I did notice they had some good breakfast pictures on the menu. I think I'll take your suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the transmission problems...but sounds like you have it all back together again. I really like Bob Evans, too. Their breakfasts are HUGE and very good, so you may want to try that before you leave tomorrow morning. Hope you have a very safe rest-of-the-trip!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
Surprize us..I like surprizes..

Old 03-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Well, it turns out that Bob Evans is here in West Virginia--had a great breakfast and had some good conservations with the folks at the restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
As for surprises, life itself is a wonder, I'd say!

Quote:
Surprize us..I like surprizes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.