Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How diverse is the West?
Totally lacking diversity, might as well all be LA 8 12.12%
Some diversity but very little 17 25.76%
A lot of diversity 27 40.91%
More diverse than back east! 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A "bit" more white? Just go look at the stats for races in Portland and Seattle here on CD. They are very white cities.
I lived in North Portland for 3 years and I was typically the only or one of few white people riding the bus to downtown Portland. North Portland is historically a black community, but sadly is being filtered out by gentrification and foo-foo art galleries. Jefferson High School is, I believe, mostly black.

I imagine the Portland suburbs are much more homogenous and lily-white, but I never had the interest or reason to spend much time in such bland areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:47 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
There are only 4 minority majority states and they are all in the West-
California,New Mexico,Texas and Hawaii.

New Mexico was the state where Hispanics comprised the highest proportion of the total population (43 percent)

[SIZE=4]US Census Press Releases[/SIZE]

Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Races in Portland:

White Non-Hispanic (75.5%)
Hispanic (6.8%)
Black (6.6%)
Two or more races (4.1%)
Other race (3.5%)
American Indian (2.3%)
Vietnamese (2.0%)
Chinese (1.4%)
Other Asian (1.3%)
Filipino (0.5%)
Japanese (0.5%)
From City-Data.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
There are only 4 minority majority states and they are all in the West-
California,New Mexico,Texas and Hawaii.

New Mexico was the state where Hispanics comprised the highest proportion of the total population (43 percent)

[SIZE=4]US Census Press Releases[/SIZE]
I dont consider Texas as part of the West but you do bring up a very good point nonetheless.

3 out of 4 is impressive considering the West is the youngest region.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Texas barely reaches west. Most of it is not.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
nah this futurecop is a racist

america has no official language

i bet he doesnt get mad when he sees people speaking italian.....or any other european language other than what hispanics speak (which spanish is ironically)

i think nyc people just get mad at california becuase they dont have the races THEY are used to such as puerto ricans,dominicans, italians,etc...so they consider anywhere else "un-diverse".

silly kid....FutureCrookedRacistCop

living in dreamland....this is reality...our whole coast is diverse, cant say the same for yours..
I don't get mad at people speaking Spanish. I get mad when I go to a freakin McDonald's and have to flip out on the manager because the jerkoff doesn't understand English. That's what annoys me. Other than that, I don't mind other races. I love diversity as I have stated many times in my other posts if you'd open your eyes. And don't tell me I'm mad because we don't have Mexicans. That's moronic. NYC has plenty of Mexicans that are evenly distributed in places such as Spanish Harlem and northern Brooklyn. I do hate the fact that LA is 46.5% Hispanic when I'm in America. A population should be more evenly diversified. LA is not evenly diversified.

The whole West Coast is diverse? Okay, Portland is 75% white, Seattle is mostly white, San Francisco is extremely diverse, San Diego diverse, and that's the West Coast. NYC is the MOST diverse in the world, Boston is one of the most diverse, Philly is extremely diverse, DC is extremely diverse, Baltimore is diverse, and of course the other diverse city I promote, Chicago is also one of the most diverse. And on the East Coast, no one nationality rules (except American, of course, this is America).

You're not a real city person. You probably walk down the beach and act real urban and you probably drive everywhere. New Yorkers, Londonites, and Parisians laugh at people like you.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:01 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
The Southwest is Nothing but Hispanics or Whites..

Cities i can name in the southwest that have not much diversity:
Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix, El Paso, Tucson

Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I do hate the fact that LA is 46.5% Hispanic when I'm in America. A population should be more evenly diversified. LA is not evenly diversified.

The whole West Coast is diverse? Okay, Portland is 75% white, Seattle is mostly white, San Francisco is extremely diverse, San Diego diverse, and that's the West Coast. NYC is the MOST diverse in the world, Boston is one of the most diverse, Philly is extremely diverse, DC is extremely diverse, Baltimore is diverse, and of course the other diverse city I promote, Chicago is also one of the most diverse. And on the East Coast, no one nationality rules (except American, of course, this is America).
But it doesn't bother you that Boston is 50% white? Somehow LA being 46.5% Hispanic is not diversity but Boston being 50% white is? And somehow Baltimore is diverse with 64% of it's population being black and 94% of it's population is either black or white?!?! And DC is "extremely diverse" when 60% of it's population is black as well??!? Or Philly being "extremely diverse" with 86% of it's population being black or white?

So please explain how those cities demographics equate to diversity but LA's 46.5% hispanic population does not??

Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 PM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
But it doesn't bother you that Boston is 50% white? Somehow LA being 46.5% Hispanic is not diversity but Boston being 50% white is? And somehow Baltimore is diverse with 64% of it's population being black and 94% of it's population is either black or white?!?! And DC is "extremely diverse" when 60% of it's population is black as well??!? Or Philly being "extremely diverse" with 86% of it's population being black or white?

So please explain how those cities demographics equate to diversity but LA's 46.5% hispanic population does not??
the simple answer is he doesnt like hispanics point blank.

same with steve-o

its not about diversity,culture, or anything else other than these people speak spanish so they hate them for some strange reason

im guessing it relates to the fact that our state borders Mexico so naturally, we will have more mexican american citizens living here. People from the east/midwest associate hispanics with California, therefore hating them in the process of hating our state

i never got why out of staters are so angry with us, its not our fault we choose to live here, its not our fault we dominate americas economy and i say this in the least boastful way possible

Old 09-10-2008, 01:19 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
the simple answer is he doesnt like hispanics point blank.

same with steve-o

its not about diversity,culture, or anything else other than these people speak spanish so they hate them for some strange reason

im guessing it relates to the fact that our state borders Mexico so naturally, we will have more mexican american citizens living here. People from the east/midwest associate hispanics with California, therefore hating them in the process of hating our state

i never got why out of staters are so angry with us, its not our fault we choose to live here, its not our fault we dominate americas economy and i say this in the least boastful way possible
Listen Buster. Who's fault is it than?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.