Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 AM

89 posts, read 206,560 times

Advertisements

I love Southern accents. I'm from up north, and when I moved to Missouri for college, I started dating a local guy because his southern accent just sounded sexy. We ended up dating for 10 years, on and off, so consider this: it was his accent that got me talking to him in the first place.

Additionally, it was he who helped me realize that we ladies should NEVER underestimate quiet country guys. Not only can they fix our cars for us, they can take care of so many of our other needs exceptionally well...

Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
I like some southern accents. The "Larry the cable guy" accent bugs me. But a calm, genteel accent on a charming southerner is awesome. I'd just let them talk the whole time just so I could listen to their voice it' so cool

Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I like some southern accents. The "Larry the cable guy" accent bugs me. But a calm, genteel accent on a charming southerner is awesome. I'd just let them talk the whole time just so I could listen to their voice it' so cool
I'm right there with you! Gentle, cool, soothing Southern accents are great to listen to. It gives one a sense of strong regional distinction and "sound" friendlier and classier, if that makes sense. Most of the people I happen to meet with variations of this accent are, in fact, friendly and/or polite, and certainly fairly intelligent and/or educated.

Thick, twangy, very melodic Southern accents bother the crap out of me. They make a person sound trashy, uneducated, and unfriendly. Many (not a majority, but close to it) of the people I've met with variations of the twang indeed act trashy, uneducated and/or unfriendly, so I guess it's a good fit.

I know all varieties of accents (and twangs!), personalities, as well as levels of education and intelligent, are always found in rural, suburban, and urban areas alike.
(a) Many southern urban areas (large ones, anyway, like Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, and most of Florida regardless of urbanity) don't have a huge number of people with an "accent."
(b) Suburban and exurban areas, as well as small college towns (like Danville, KY, Rome, GA or Auburn, AL) generally have people with gentler Southern accents.
(c) Rural areas (like most anywhere w/in the Old Confederacy, Kentucky or West Virginia that is more than 15 minutes from a major metro) tend to have a lot of folks w/ the twang.

Does this make sense?

Last edited by EclecticEars; 10-03-2008 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Thick, twangy, very melodic Southern accents bother the crap out of me. They make a person sound trashy, uneducated, and unfriendly. Many (not a majority, but close to it) of the people I've met with variations of the twang indeed act trashy, uneducated and/or unfriendly, so I guess it's a good fit.
I agree 100%, but careful what you say. I said the same thing and these southerners started jumping on my *$$ about it while correcting my grammar in an effort to prove that they were not unedumacated.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
I agree 100%, but careful what you say. I said the same thing and these southerners started jumping on my *$$ about it while correcting my grammar in an effort to prove that they were not unedumacated.
While I didn't want to go here...

Shall I remind you that the South has historically thought Yankee men sounded like sissies?

Does it mean you are one? No. But some people might think you talk like a sissy.

It works both ways.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
While I didn't want to go here...

Shall I remind you that the South has historically thought Yankee men sounded like sissies?

Does it mean you are one? No. But some people might think you talk like a sissy.

It works both ways.
It's not "Yankee", it's "Northerner", you don't see me calling you redneck or hillbilly do you?

No, this "sissy" thing is new to me. I don't get how we sound like sissies. That's funny as hell though, thanks for making me laugh. You owe me a new keyboard, by the way.

Excuse me if I enunciate instead of sounding like a Nascar pit crew.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:23 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
It's not "Yankee", it's "Northerner", you don't see me calling you redneck or hillbilly do you?

No, this "sissy" thing is new to me. I don't get how we sound like sissies. That's funny as hell though, thanks for making me laugh. You owe me a new keyboard, by the way.

Excuse me if I enunciate instead of sounding like a Nascar pit crew.
You're not from the South? That makes you a Yankee, IMO. I'm not trying to call you a name.There are rednecks in every state. It's not really a synonym for Southerner. I am not a redneck.

I don't know how talking different makes you sound uneducated either.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:28 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Southern accents to me are simply unattractive (so are boston, minnesota/wisconsin, etc). nothing more to say on that subject

Old 10-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
You're not from the South? That makes you a Yankee, IMO. I'm not trying to call you a name.There are rednecks in every state. It's not really a synonym for Southerner. I am not a redneck.
Well, to be fair, Brits call everyone in the USA yankees. So when you call me a yankee, some get the impression that you don't associate yourself with the rest of the United States. Are you still fighting the Civil War? Why do you hate America?

Quote:
I don't know how talking different makes you sound uneducated either.
*sigh*, I get the impression that nobody listens around here sometimes.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I'm sure many people here would hate my accent, it's a very thick gulf coastal accent. Oh well, I like it and I'm not about to try and change it for anyone.

I have some friends in Indiana and Ohio and while they don't really have an accent, they do speak sloooow to me. It's like they're tired and don't have the energy to talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.