Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times

Advertisements

I am well-acquainted with NYC since I lived there for 3 yrs & worked as a community worker in Brooklyn. The entire stay was an adventure that I will always remember fondly. I didn't live in Manhattan but rather the inner-city of northern Brooklyn [Bedford-Stuyvesant & Bushwich] - tough neighborhoods of mainly West Indies Blacks & Puerto Ricans. The population density was quite high w/ 5-10 story tenements. It was teaming with people who were mostly poor w/ high amounts of drug activity & youth gangs.

Manhattan is a different world due to wealth & exciting cosmopolitan living. It is most definitely a fast-lane city & the primary city of America.

I loved living in New York City but I returned to my home state & moved to Los Angeles, a very different city from New York. It's hard for me to quite understand the density figures for LA since it seems so spread out but all the data suggests that it is a dense city also. But my return to California was not to live in the busiest area of LA like parts of Hollywood & downtown. I moved into a house in the hills & have stay in the area for many years because it is like living in the country. Open space with trees & wildlife. It is quiet with crickets & coyotes howling at night. We open all the windows in the evening to cool the house down & sleep with the breeze blowing thru the house. I have fruit trees & exotic palms like my neighbors & the peace of mind of feeling secure & safe. I am only 5 miles from downtown LA & less than that to Pasadena which I can take the train to both areas.

Living in Los Angeles can be so many different things that I would never have in New York.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:17 AM

263 posts, read 798,712 times
You remind me of the kid who worked in a new york Ferrari dealership with his Daddy, who I guess was an importer. Kept trying to tell me that there were richer people in new york and its environs who would buy and drive more expensive cars there as opposed to here! I posted an article stating that the model Ferrari that he named himself after on this forum had debuted at the Los Angeles Auto Show first and that Ferrari America considered Ferrari and the Southern California car market as going "hand in hand!" Never heard from him again

Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why does everyone always gang up on FutureCop? I likewise live very near to New York City, and it's always an awesome experience to emerge from the Lincoln Tunnel and be dumped right into Midtown Manhattan. There's nothing quite like it in my eyes. You can walk one block of Broadway and see Asians, Arabs, gays, blacks, Hispanics, whites, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, liberals, conservatives, etc. all co-existing harmoniously. You can go to MOMA, the Guggenheim, the Theater District, Little Italy, Central Park, Chinatown, Wall Street (or what's left of it nowadays), etc. What's so unfashionable about loving NYC?
He sets himself up for it. Nothing to do with New York.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:10 PM

288 posts, read 1,329,188 times
No city can really compare to L.A. IMO. L.A. is a huge playground with everything in it and something for everyone. My father brought me to L.A. as a child and I have been in love with it ever since. I remember back in the days when the Lakers played at the Forum in Inglewood there was a Steakhouse across the street on Manchester and Prairie if memory serves me correctly. We went inside to eat and the most beautiful lady I had seen in my life (our waitress) said to my young hormone running self as she rubbed her hand on my face “You have the prettiest eyes and you’re so cute” I called my mom in Seattle and said “I’ll visit during the holidays”- “Love Ya”. LOL. I love L.A. True story I met my wife in Inglewood years later up the street from the same place. Go figure.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:49 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Yep, you called it.

New York had two things going for it: Wall Street and Broadway. Now it just has Broadway. And the number of people who care about that gets smaller every day. And that urban energy you speak of comes in two varieties: grit or grunge. People who live in New York love it. And the rest of the world is happy to let you have it.
The rest of the world is not happy, the rest of America is, which is quite sad. Americans are softies nowadays. In general, the only real Americans left are those loyal to New York, Boston, Philly, DC, Chicago, Jersey, and the rust belt Midwest. The rest, sorry to say, are phonies. Plastic.

Wall Street is going nowhere, whether our economy stays strong or not, Wall Street will always house the financial power of this country.

Not only is Broadway dying down, but Hollywood is too. Film technology is enabling films to be made in cities with harsher climates such as New York, Chicago, Miami, Boston, etc. Plus, many of our old abandoned warehouses and piers are now being transformed into film studios.

Believe me, New York has a lot more to be worried about than whether or not Hollywood is making more films than us. The rest of the world and America is glad to let you have that.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
No, more like the pathetic immature kid in the thread. Can a Northeastern kid handle that? Or can we call you Zeus yet!?
Mr. Einstein Jr. is good enough.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean34597 View Post
Can any city really compare to L.A.?

I would have to say no. L.A. is in a class by itself.

When it comes to producing loads and loads of cultural bilge that unfortunately defines the U.S. for the rest of the world, L.A. stands alone.

When it comes to serving as a magnet for "Day of the Locust" style losers who dream of making millions by pretending to be other people, L.A. stands alone.

When it comes to paying mediocre TV writers $40,000 an episode for writing 3rd grade junk, I'd have to say, L.A. is tops.

When it comes to creating the automobile-centered nightmare of America, L.A. rules the roost. You guys rawck!!!

When it comes to Fatburger and other fast-food, L.A. again stands alone. Man, this is getting humiliating for this New Yorker!!!

When it comes to....ah screw it. We give up. L.A. is in a class by itself!!
The class of the modern day American...
Iamge courtesy of (from) http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/Latest%20news%20images/junk_cartoon_250.jpg (broken link)
http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/Latest%20news%20images/junk_cartoon_250.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-30-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why does everyone always gang up on FutureCop? I likewise live very near to New York City, and it's always an awesome experience to emerge from the Lincoln Tunnel and be dumped right into Midtown Manhattan. There's nothing quite like it in my eyes. You can walk one block of Broadway and see Asians, Arabs, gays, blacks, Hispanics, whites, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, liberals, conservatives, etc. all co-existing harmoniously. You can go to MOMA, the Guggenheim, the Theater District, Little Italy, Central Park, Chinatown, Wall Street (or what's left of it nowadays), etc. What's so unfashionable about loving NYC?
Some people can't handle the fact that Hollywood is the laughing stock of America. People like to think Hollywood makes America cool, but when some jerkoff actor (pretty boy) comes into the Yankee Stadium bleachers, who's going to be the cool guys? Coolness is not Hollywood, it's not VH1, it's not the shows "Jack***" or "Entertainment Tonight," coolness is ESPN and NFL Network. Sports radio 1050 (out of NYC) is awesome and my idol was Paul O'Neill (former Yankee, retired).

Basically, in the Yankee Stadium bleachers, we make fun of Hollywood. Here's a "tribute" to Hollywood (at the end of the video) from the Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creatures... (not my video)

YouTube - Roll Call Vs. Boston 4-17-08 - "Hollywood" Tribute

Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately, "chill out" is not really in the vocabulary of most east coasters.
Exactly my point. Chilling out is for whimps. I want my city to hold the great energy of NYC. I don't want my city to "chill out." That's boring. Why would I poke down the parkway like granny and waste 10 minutes of my life that I could spend on City-Data flaunting my massive brain power?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The kid brings it upon himself, he responds to the bait of several posters and starts a flame war many times. Or many times he doesn't like someone's OPINION about NYC, LA, or another city and gets in people's faces about how NYC is the best or whatever. Also stating or insisting an opinion as fact can get annoying too. Maybe if he respected other people's opinions and didn't bring NYC into a conversation that has nothing to do with it then people wouldn't gang up on him. Kid needs to chill out and relax a little.....
We can't all be real, Sav. I don't care if you like LA, but to compare it to New York is honestly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. New York and London stand in a league of their own. End of story. Look at the economic output of this city... Look at the international political influence it has. Screw Hollywood. In the real world, Hollywood has 0% meaning. Turn off "I Love the 80s" and wake up. You're out of high school, correct? Get your MBA and then try to tell me NYC is less than LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.