Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM

68 posts, read 246,234 times

Advertisements

I'm at my late 20s, single, female, foreign national, architect and is considering relocating. after some research, I'm sending resumes basically to NY, Boston and Chicago. however, there're some dilemmas in terms of which city to go , any of your opinions are greatly appreciated.

things important to me are: job and dating( I do want to start a family in 5 yrs and would want to go to a city that have more interesting activities and better odds for me.) living expenses are not top issue for me since I don't want to buy a house in 5 yrs.

1. NY. New york is great, with so much energy and diversity. the biggest drawback for me is architectural scene in NY is not so great. It's easy to land a job but it's very hard to find a very good one that does more than residential work. also I heard the female/ male ratio is not favorable for me?
2. Boston. I like Boston coz there should be a lot of lectures and young people since it's a college town. the drawback is long winter and reserved nature of locals.
3. Chicago. jobs are good. but I had always find the city a little intimidating, and when I think of the city, I can't really think of anything else except the lake front area

I've never applied for DC. I would consider DC as well. thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by useasbackup; 08-25-2008 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,037,153 times
It sounds like Boston is for you. You kind of ruled out Chicago yourself so it comes down to Boston and NYC. I think, in your field, you would have greater success in Boston due to less competition besides everything has already been done in New York. why would you find chicago "intimidating" but not nyc??? i would still choose boston, mass if i were you. You have a solid professional degree thus you shall fit right into Boston. You would fit well into the other 3 cities as well but Boston is one of the most educated areas of the world so a degree is pretty much a must in your field.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,355,773 times
try Sim City

Old 08-25-2008, 02:57 PM

382 posts, read 1,054,629 times
Here's a few helpful tips--

Archinect.com has a information regarding jobs/salaries as well as a discussion/forum page that will pertain more to the field than city-data.com.

Also, if you're interested in the Boston architecture scene, GSD @ Harvard post webcasts of all their lectures.: GSD Webcasts

Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,817 times
I would say Chicago, as it is considered by many the most architecturally diverse city in the country. Architecture is a really big thing here. We don't let just anybody come in and slap up a big concrete box, it has to be unique.

I'm not saying NY or Boston are bad choices. But out of the three, I'd choose Chicago.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:35 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,112,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
I would say Chicago, as it is considered by many the most architecturally diverse city in the country. Architecture is a really big thing here. We don't let just anybody come in and slap up a big concrete box, it has to be unique.
Been to River North in the past 10 years?

My advice to the OP is to go wherever you get the best job opportunity. You'll be able to enjoy yourself in any of those cities.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
To be honest, Id find Chicago the least intimidating of the 3 cities. lol Anyways, Id go with Chicago for reasons mentioned above. Plus, the architectural firms here are the best in the world, IMO.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Been to River North in the past 10 years?
You do have a point there. Anything north of Lincoln Park is pretty boring and they all look pretty similar. But for the most part, the downtown area is very beautiful, and you can tell the architects have a good understanding of what their doing.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 PM

382 posts, read 1,054,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
To be honest, Id find Chicago the least intimidating of the 3 cities. lol Anyways, Id go with Chicago for reasons mentioned above. Plus, the architectural firms here are the best in the world, IMO.
Which ones do you like the most?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,806,999 times
Of the cities you mentioned i would choose Chicago,However you mentioned long winters in Boston.That has always been Chicago's downside to me.All the cities you mentioned are near the water and in the northern U.S.Is that on purpose?Have you considered other regions?San Francisco if money is not to much of an issue is great.

I am in Atlanta.2 of my close friends are architects for John Portman and Associates.One from China the other from Italy and they are single in their 20's.they love it here.You should look into Atlanta.There is also one of the largest single populations in the U.S.
Personally I don't like Miami but it may have what you looking for as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.