Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,793 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiance and I are looking to move to a new city. I'm an actor and I'd love to live somewhere that there is a lot of opportunity for actors, particularly those without union status yet.

We are living in Pittsburgh right now and I honestly love a lot about this city. Its incredibly affordable and there is a fair amount of performing arts, but it is a very difficult scene to break into if you want to do more than community theater. I don't expect to make my living acting, but would love to be able to do it pretty much constantly in quality productions (film or theater.)

I've lived in Boston and Ithaca and liked both of those places very much, but I am tired of cold weather--which isn't too terrible in Pittsburgh comparatively. So no Minneapolis, Chicago, NYC, etc.

So our ideal place would be somewhere warm, affordable, and with a very large arts scene. Politically liberal helps, too. Pittsburgh's cost of living has us spoiled, but we can swing more than what we're spending here.

We're looking all over the US. Right now Austin and Portland are at the top of our lists. Is there anywhere else we should look into further? Someone suggested a few coastal cities (Charlotte, etc) but I'm not sure how much of a performing arts scene they have.

Any other suggestions or comments on the ones we're thinking about already? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times
I once heard someone say that Detroit is a city where there is a lot of new start up movie production so they may have need for actors there. But it might not fit your criteria because it can get cold there.

Atlanta I also heard is having a lot of movie start up studios or something too.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Wilmington, NC is one the come-up for movie production, and acting. Ironman 3 is being filmed there; it isn't cheap for NC but considering if you came from Pittsburgh I would imagine that it is much cheaper.

http://www.wilmingtonfilm.com/

Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Wilmington, NC is one the come-up for movie production, and acting. Ironman 3 is being filmed there; it isn't cheap for NC but considering if you came from Pittsburgh I would imagine that it is much cheaper.
Yes - more about this at Wilmington Film > Home

Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
New Orleans? It has its issues, but what place doesn't?

Tucson, AZ has a decent arts scene as well, and it actually leans slightly liberal.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
For warm weather, affordability and a decent acting scene, I'd say Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, or Wilmington (NC).

Old 01-18-2012, 01:37 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Louisville KY!
Warm, cheap living, and a nationally known regional theater company, the Actor's Theater of Louisville, which operates 3 theaters: www.actorstheater.org (http://www.actorstheater.org - broken link).

Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
wooops - it's www.actorstheatre.org (re, not er)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.