Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following desert city is the best to live, work and play...
Las Vegas 29 32.58%
Phoenix 15 16.85%
Tucson 13 14.61%
Albuquerque 32 35.96%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:58 AM

218 posts, read 350,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I would add Reno, NV
I have lived in Reno briefly and didn't like it at first. Since then, I visited it at least 10 times and loved it! The people are shy, but extremely nice. Not like the snobs here in Snobsdale and Phoenix.

Reno also includes other areas that are different and there is something for everyone. There's Carson city, gardnerville, out near Dayton, Truckee, Incline Village, South Lake Tahoe, etc.

I would vote for Reno if it was on the poll, hands down.

Also there are no trust funder millenials in Reno. The people take their careers seriously, and then go have fun on the weekend. Univ of NV Reno is a very different environment than ASU.

Also, on the weekends, folks who don't fit into Sacramento, which is a city very much like Phoenix (old, run down, crime ridden, Democrat run), drive over to Reno or to Lake Tahoe and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 01:12 AM

218 posts, read 350,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayaone View Post
I live in paradise in a small home. My arthritis is terrible here because of the humidity. I need to check out some desert cities. I'm leaning toward Nevada, Las Vegas area because many Hawaiian residents live there but I'm open to other places. I can't do Santa Fe because of the elevation. I have lung issues. But I need more information. I'm a youngish 66 and a part time teacher. Any ideas?
I know people looking for the same thing.

Vegas and Reno are cold and windy from Nov to April, and Reno is windy and hot from June to Sept.

Your issue will be poor access to medical providers in desert cities, since most of the docs are greedy from back east, and many of them refuse to take various insurances including medicare. The whole scenario is worse with the current President.

There are parts of southern California that are inland, dry, and warm all year, that have medical care for your condition. Thousand Oaks, Ojai, Agoura Hills, Santa Clarita, Temecula, and Irvine at its higher elevations, not too sure, ask the orange county forum about humidity.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
1: Albuquerque: My favorite on the list, awesome culture, food, great hiking, amazing network of biking trails, just the right size, great freeways, close to Santa Fe with rail connections between the two cities, and very friendly with a nice balanced mix of natives and transplants .

2: Tucson: If I wasn't moving to NM I'd consider Tucson as a second option. It seems to embrace Southwestern culture and food quite well and out of the four it has the most impressive desert vegetation with the Sagauro cactuses and beautiful mountains.

3: Phoenix: Would rather spend a weekend here, very nice hotel resorts (I would prefer over Vegas), too big and sprawly for my liking though. Tucson and Albuquerque seem to have more originality and character.

4: Las Vegas: Couldn't fathom living here. Too seedy, tourist driven, away fromthe strip not a very attractive city, least attractive outskirts for desert scenery given the other choices. And the economy sucks as it will take a very long time for this place to figure out how to reinevent itself.
This is the order and reasoning I would give, as well. I would add "way too hot for way too much of the year" for Phoenix and Las Vegas, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
I did not vote since all four cities are cliquish, with horrible crime, terrible roads, drug problems, many doctors don't take insurance, easy to get fired for a minor infraction, Phoenix is full of trust funder millenials and their wild parties at Arizona state univ and in Scottsdale.
Sadly, these are good points. On the bright side (from a pessimists view), the rest of the country isn't much different.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:42 PM

594 posts, read 698,211 times
Which city is the 6th largest city in the USA ?
Which city city is soon to be 5th largest city in the USA on next census ?
Which city host multiple Superbowls and National Championship games ?
Which city has all 4 professional sports ?
Which city has half of all MLB teams in their Cactus league ?
Which city is top 3 in jobs and economy ?
Which city has surpassed Florida for retirees and Canadian snowbirds for desirability?
Which city is in the top 10 or 5 for growth in America for the last 20 years ?
Numbers never lie ! 5 million and counting.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is the order and reasoning I would give, as well. I would add "way too hot for way too much of the year" for Phoenix and Las Vegas, as well..
LOL I posted that four years ago and four and a couple months before I moved to ABQ. Phoenix has grown on me a little more over time. I'd rather live there than Tucson. I'm actually heading to the Valley this weekend, it's foretasted to be in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.