Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 PM
emh emh started this thread

298 posts, read 851,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I'm a GOP'er. Had Democrat friends over. We talked politics politely and intelligently and respected each others opinions. I have a particular minority customer that I consider a friend. What is disgusting is un-intelligent, narrow-minded people, posting inane, inflammatory drivel. Just let me know if you need a translation "Bird".
Guys...if you want to have this argument, can you please find somewhere else to do it?

Anyway....a number of the cities that have been mentioned, I've considered but have decided against for various reasons. Austin, for example, sounds wonderful if only it weren't in Texas. Sorry, there are just some prejudices that I have a hard time letting go of....

There are a few cities mentioned that I do find intriguing though I've never been to any of them. In particular, Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, Nashville and Wilmington. But are those really politically liberal cities? I had read elsewhere that Wilmington is pretty conservative. The others, I have no idea. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 06:35 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
I haven't actually lived in the Midwest in a while but I spent most of my first 27 years in NE Ohio and I think I was "imprinted" with Midwestern values. For example, I actually like to smile at people who pass me on the street. But I can't move back to the Midwest...I just can't handle the winters....even the winters in DC are too much for me.

So I'm looking for a city with a midwest mindset (friendly, welcoming, down-to-earth) without the midwest winters. I'm not a big fan of hot summers either but I can handle hot better than cold.

A few other things I'm interested in:

*I want a mid-sized city. Say a metro area of 250,000 to 1 million. Roughly.

*I prefer a place where people are politically liberal but moderate in their own behavior (I lived in San Fran for a couple of years and that was a bit too much for my midwest upbringing)

*I like places with an active downtown area.

*If there are rivers, lakes, or an ocean nearby, all the better!

Any thoughts? Thanks!
If you are looking at a place that has milder winters than the Wash DC area: stay with Climate Zone 8 or higher:

SE Virginia is the start of that zone along the eastern seaboard

All of the West Coast along with most of Arizona and southern Nevada (Las Vegas) qualify as well. It gets hot here but 105F @ 20% humidity is a lot more tolerable than 95F @ 70% humidity

Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
250K is not that huge if you go by the SMSA.

Knoxville has plenty of liberal people but we* aren't the majority. Is it that you want to find like minded people to bond with or are you bothered by the prospect of rubbing shoulders with conservatives?

* well actually I'm more of a moderate who hangs out with a liberal crowd.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,713,261 times
Maybe Boulder? I know it's still kind of "midwest" but it's a very liberal place, people are nice, it has a 3 million metro (Denver), and winters aren't that bad really.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:15 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Austin, TX - a liberal oasis in the middle of the great state of TX.
I don't know if you can say this anymore. Dallas and Houston has joined the liberal ranks with Austin.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Maybe Boulder? I know it's still kind of "midwest" but it's a very liberal place, people are nice, it has a 3 million metro (Denver), and winters aren't that bad really.
Winters aren't that bad? Can anyone say 32 inches of snow in Boulder?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Note the OP mentioned that (Wash) DC winters are too much, that area is Climate Zone 7 for all practical purposes hence my stating he/she needs to look at Zone 8 or higher.

I am a Wash DC native so I am quite familiar with its capricious winters.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Knoxville has plenty of liberal people but we* aren't the majority. Is it that you want to find like minded people to bond with or are you bothered by the prospect of rubbing shoulders with conservatives?
This is how Louisville, Lexington, and Nashville seem to me as well. At their core, they are all fairly conservative towns; but there are alot of liberals as well. They are all a nice balance with friendly people to boot. Just don't get the Lexington folks going on UK basketball.

I think if you are hoping for milder winters; NAshville would be a safer bet than Louisville. Louisville gets its share of snow and cold. While Nashville does too, I have been down there in January when the high temps were in the 60's. I have been down there in February for a snow flurry. I was at the Hard Rock Cafe downtown, and people were concerned about how they would get home over a snow flurry. I was amused.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oiklahoma is midwest.

Times have changed. Nobody in Ashtabula will smile at you anymore, either.

People who used to love Austin TX are starting to look for someplace else to go.

Almost all the towns mentioned so far are below your 250.000 threshold.
I strongly disagree that Oklahoma is the Midwest. It has some Midwestern elements to it, but the people there are undoubtedly Southerners and Southwesterners. There is very of little of anything about Oklahoma that is truly Midwestern. Oklahoma has the most in common with Texas of any state.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Quote:
Guys...if you want to have this argument, can you please find somewhere else to do it?
Sorry, I know post was not on topic, but I can't let such a prejudiced statement go "free & clear"
Here is comment on OP question. Austin TX. comes to mind. College town with plenty of liberal thought but I find the suburbs and older working folk to be more moderate and balance it out. Nice climate, hot in summer but not seemingly as humid as Dallas or especially Houston. Nice nightlife scene especially for live music, good place for outdoor recreation like running, cycling and canoeing. Many State Parks nearby as well as Hill Country. Corpus Christi is close enough for weekend trips to the Gulf. All personal observations from spending a week there to see if it might be a relocation candidate to get out of the cold Illinois winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.