Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 10,486 times

Advertisements

I am repeating some info I had on another thread; but am wondering how cities in Oregon and Washington (Portland, Eugene, Olympia) compare to cities in B.C. as regards quality of life. Specifically, affordable housing, jobs, healthcare. I have been reading some threads re Portland and Eugene and am noticing some conflicting information. When I spoke to realtors a couple of years ago, it seemed Portland homes were a bit more expensive. Has the housing market changed? On the other hand, it seemed one might be able to find a job more easily in Portland. I have not been to Olympia, but it looks like an attractive place in many ways. My husband and I tend to like college towns because they tend to go hand in hand with culture, an educated population and foster a progressive thinking core in cities.
We are in SoCal and love where we are but need to move for practical reasons. One thing I have not seen mentioned is healthcare. In Canada this is a safety net everyone can rely on whether you have a job or not, so we are also looking at cities in B.C.
We really want to just settle somewhere for good, if at all possible, because in addition to our day jobs, we have a home business which will involve moving thousands of books.
I would greatly appreciate information from anyone who has personal experience living in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:07 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,267 times
I can't offer much specific information in regards to the issues at hand, but I recommend heading over to the Canada forum and having a look as there have been quite a few interesting debates regarding the differences between health care in the U.S. and Canada on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.