Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 PM

217 posts, read 292,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
First of all you RETATARD, downtown LA has historically been a very slow, commuter area. People go in to work, and leave before sundown. My post was regarding my experiences with downtown in the past.

Secondly, LA Live barely opened its doors last night. Thus, I was unable to attend before posting. But Im very excited that downtown LA is beginning to make its large push towards heavy urbanization (heck downtown just recently opened its doors to its first grocery store).

Thirdly, I hope you had permission to post those pictures if you didnt take them because Ive seen those elsewhere.

Now I know its difficult for you to chew gum and walk at the same time, but consider thinking before, and/or, during flamming someone else.

didn't mean to call you retarded

Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Minneapolis was better than I expected. I didn't expect an actual urban city, and even had a little diversity, compared to what I thought it would be.
Atlanta wasn't good of a town as I expected. All the good restaurants are on a "highway" 20-30 minutes out of town.
San Francisco dissapoints me. I had a high bar for the place. I'm from the area. Seems like every time I go back it gets more and more superficial and materialistic (Although we've been complaining about that for decades), and recently its even been getting LESS diverse, and even more of a playground single trust-fund babies in their 20's and 30's that think a far too much about themselves.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 PM

217 posts, read 292,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
First of all you RETATARD, downtown LA has historically been a very slow, commuter area. People go in to work, and leave before sundown. My post was regarding my experiences with downtown in the past.

Secondly, LA Live barely opened its doors last night. Thus, I was unable to attend before posting. But Im very excited that downtown LA is beginning to make its large push towards heavy urbanization (heck downtown just recently opened its doors to its first grocery store).

Thirdly, I hope you had permission to post those pictures if you didnt take them because Ive seen those elsewhere.

Now I know its difficult for you to chew gum and walk at the same time, but consider thinking before, and/or, during flamming someone else.

L.A. is going to become the transportation HUB of the west coast with the recently approved California High speed Rail that would connect Downtown L.A. with other major California cities i.e. San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose, etc. Also Measure R (which is to increase transportation in the city of Los Angeles i.e. more subways, light rail, metro link, etc,) was approved as well November 4 2008 so don't tell me L.A. is not going to be thriving.
Another thing all these things are going to be connect within downtown Los Angeles.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,337 times
Im gonna say for better then I expected, New York City. It just had this vibe, and was much bigger then the movies. Idk something about being surrounded by skyscrapers and millions of people. I will say this though, now way in hell i could live there.

As for worse, there hasn't really been any terrible cities that I was disappointed with but I will have to say Laughlin . Went there young and not that much to do for kids it seemed.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
L.A. is going to become the transportation HUB of the west coast with the recently approved California High speed Rail that would connect Downtown L.A. with other major California cities i.e. San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose, etc. Also Measure R (which is to increase transportation in the city of Los Angeles i.e. more subways, light rail, metro link, etc,) was approved as well November 4 2008 so don't tell me L.A. is not going to be thriving.
Another thing all these things are going to be connect within downtown Los Angeles.
Isnt L.A. already the transportation HUB of the west?????
And since when did i tell you L.A. is not going to be thriving??? Please tell me!
LA is already thriving. My comment was regarding downtown LA as not being as lively as it should be. This comment was made before LA-Live opened.
I realize, and Im excited that projects such as LA Live, and many others are in the works and downtown LA is going to be the place to be. In fact, my plans after graduating law school, that is if I can get my ass to study for finals tonight, is to buy property in the downtown vicinity.

Please dude....move on. Trust me. I dont know why all of a sudden you come pounding on my door. But do try to figure what Im saying.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:31 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
More impressive Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis. all 3 have wonderful culture, arts and architecture and i had a great time every time I was in all 3

Least impressed Miami. Miami is given this glamorous image on certain tv shows, but i thought the place was a dump. one of the highest poverty rates, crime and drug ridden etc. Miami beach wasn't much better.
Los Angeles didn't impress me either. Although the culture there is very good, it just doesn't strike me as world class like a city of that size should be. Just my opinion

Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
Worse than expected -- The southern suburbs of Tampa Bay are just horrendous. I didn't expect them to be completely void of any culture. Tampa Bay followed suit.

Better than expected -- NYC - Manhattan -- Not just a massive crazy city. Very livable. Made up of small neighborhoods.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Better than expected: Omaha, Nebraska. Hills, trees, neat old architecture, now a neat downtown in the Old Market area.

Less than expected: Lincoln, Nebraska. Not as college-towny as I thought it would be.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
I was impressed by Kansas City and Saint Louis.
Savannah was horrid.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:36 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
more impressive: Cheyenne, Denver, Savannah
worse: Coeur d'Alene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.