Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
First I'll start with the worst. I thought Jacksonville was going to be a nice city. It was so dull, boring, lifeless. For a city of 700,000, there downtown was awful. I've seen cities with fifty thousand have a nicer downtown. There was no one walking around. Public transport sucked. The weather was so humid, (that I knew about though). It just did not impress me at all.

The city that exceeded my expectations would have to be NY. From my first time there many years ago, I still say wow when I go there. As much as you see it in films or whatever, there is still no other city in the world that makes me giddy with amazement as NY does. NY truly is worth the hype.
Greenville, SC was most impressive because I thought it was just a small town until I saw the beauty of it. Its shopping sucks lol but it exceeded my expetations.

Evansville, IN dissapointed me because my supervisor is from there and she is so cool, dresses great and knows all the happenings and cool spots of Louisville where she lives now, but when I got there I found it hard to believe she came from there! The nightlife was non existant, shopping was horrible, the one spa was bad and not many food options

Old 12-07-2008, 04:20 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
But hopefully they could announce it in a less offensive and judgemental manner. You certainly haven't "scoured" the in-town areas, because I could name 100 excellent restaurants in Midtown...

http://www.forbestraveler.com/food-drink/restaurant-cities-slide.html (broken link)

I'm not offended by what you said...it just isn't true and you couldn't really know or form an opinion like that by visiting. But it really doesn't matter, say whatever makes you happy.
how do you say a judgement in a nonjudgemental manner? aren't judgements being asked for here?
I like it when people refer to my opinions are just flat out incorrect. Especially when I outright say my opinions are not the same as others.
You obviously are offended by what I said, or you wouldn't be denying that I've even visited the place and that I could possibly have that opinion. Summarized ytou basically said "Well, I'm not offended but I and many others think you have incorrect and invalid opinions. *Idiot* (under breath)".
Also, this thread was about expectations. The fact that Atlanta is talked about and makes lists like that raises expectation. didn't cut it for me. A place like Detroit could be "better than expected" and still be a craphole (I've never been there, but have low expectations since everyone seems to dislike it).
If you don't want to hear judgement, then don't click on a thread reserved for them.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM

122 posts, read 168,695 times
More impressive: Denver, CO. Very rarely has my perception of a city (even a whole state) changed more upon visiting. I was expecting some provincial mountain town full of old, slow-paced Republicans (basically, a larger and Western version of Naples, FL) and was blown away by the nightlife, the natural beauty, the diversity...basically, everything! It remains, by far, my favorite city in the West outside of some in California.

Worse: El Paso, TX. Also a Western city. I found the natural beauty of the area to be a huge plus, and some of the architecture was nice. The people were also very friendly. But overall, it was very run-down and poor-looking (obviously it is factually one of the poorest big cities in the country, but you could really feel it there.) Absolute and total lack of things to do; I feel like I would slowly go insane of boredom if I had to live there. I remember driving through downtown, in the middle of the day, and it was dead. Not that I expected it to be like LA or something, but the dullness of the place was amazing.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:40 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
how do you say a judgement in a nonjudgemental manner? aren't judgements being asked for here?
I like it when people refer to my opinions are just flat out incorrect. Especially when I outright say my opinions are not the same as others.
You obviously are offended by what I said, or you wouldn't be denying that I've even visited the place and that I could possibly have that opinion. Summarized ytou basically said "Well, I'm not offended but I and many others think you have incorrect and invalid opinions. *Idiot* (under breath)".
Also, this thread was about expectations. The fact that Atlanta is talked about and makes lists like that raises expectation. didn't cut it for me. A place like Detroit could be "better than expected" and still be a craphole (I've never been there, but have low expectations since everyone seems to dislike it).
If you don't want to hear judgement, then don't click on a thread reserved for them.
Oh, I corrected you...am I not supposed to? My bad.

Baby.What a nasty response...your statement was not true, but you are apparently not to be questioned.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 AM

241 posts, read 435,590 times
More impressed than I expected: Boston- I really didn't even expect to go to Boston, as I was visiting a friend out on Cape Cod but we had an unexpected detour. I don't know what to say other than I liked the feel of it.

Less impressed: Atlanta- I've been there three times now for stays of 3-5 days each since a very good friend of mine lives there. I just find nothing appealing or charming about the city, and saw so many parts that are just plain dilapidated and third-world. There are definitely good spots, but the city as a whole and the infrastructure just says "poor and deterioting". I ate at some great places while I was there, but then I'd leave the restaurant, ride along in the passenger seat, and find the city as a whole to be rather miserable.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
I was more impressed with Birmingham, AL, Cincinnati, DC, and LA. The beauty of LA in particular, or specifically the LA region, is that it is made up of several centers of activity. Downtown sucked, but I loved Santa Monica, Hollywood, etc.

Detroit was worse than I thought. When I visited a few years ago, it was on my list of cities to check out but I didn't know that it was going to look like Dresden after WWII.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
Worst -New York
Ugly place and not as crowded as i thought it would be. Expensive and bad food

Best - Miami
Pleasant enough, everyone thinks its colombia - much nicer than i thought

Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
More impressed-Boston-the people were nicer than I thought and I liked the architecture and history about the place.

Less impressed-Detroit, was disappointing to see how abandoned and empty the city looked.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 PM

93 posts, read 247,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh, I corrected you...am I not supposed to? My bad.

Baby.What a nasty response...your statement was not true, but you are apparently not to be questioned.
An opinion based on expectations cannot be "untrue" or "corrected."

Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 PM

196 posts, read 992,849 times
Worse: LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.