Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times

Advertisements

Do you think there is any way to tell where someone is from based on how they look? Is it possible to be from somewhere, but look like you're from somewhere else? I don't mean ethnicities, I mean regions in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
For some strange reason I can pick out New Orleanians most of the time. (Dress, Attitude)

I have been told that different regions have different dominant features such as body proportions and facial features.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Really? like what?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Really? like what?
I don't know about the whole proportion thing, but I do think that it could be possible for features (like eye shape and spacing, nose, hair, mouth, cheekbones, etc.) to be similar in certain regions based on the decent of the people who settled that area. Then throw in the way they dress, talk, eat and the environment that they live in

If you had State A that had people of irish and african decent that lived somewhere in the cold snow and State B that had people of french and carribean decent that lived in a swamp and mixed them together wouldn't you know the difference?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
I don't think it's possible to tell where someone is from by just their appearance. But once they start talking it can be a give away.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:33 AM

90 posts, read 331,460 times
Default YES you can!

When I get back to Minnesota I always comment how many of the people look and act like Minnesotans. Much of it has to do with the large number of people from Scandinavia and Germany in Minnesota. They have a distinct look. Just like the large number of people in Long Island and Staten Island NY that have Italian Accessory.

The dominate ethnic background common in many parts of the country gives people a distinct look just like traveling around Europe.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:30 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
I've been all over and could never tell where a person is from based on facial features. The accent is what obviously gives it away.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Sometimes you can tell if they are more likely to be from one place or another based on how they interact with the strangers around them.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:37 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Sometimes facial features can be a clue, although for most people it's difficult to tell. As others have pointed out, it's largely due to the predominance of certain ancestries in a particular area.

I can often spot fellow New Englanders based on how they look and how they dress. The same can be said for other regional groups.

Of course, the most accurate indicator is always the accent.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
I currently live in a metropolitan area with migration of transplants from all over. However, I am from a rural area of the country that hasn't had much migration over the past few centuries. White people there are of a certain "stock".

I have trouble describing these different ethnic features, but when I go to a large gathering back home, I can see that everyone is decended from a certain mix of protestant northern European ancestry. More or less, Scottish, German, French Protestant, and English. Blue eyes, peaches-and-cream skin color, same type of hair texture, similar builds and facial structures... it is an odd feeling.

Growing up there, I can generally identify when someone isn't the same type of "southern mutt". The various Slavic, Italian, Eastern European, Scandanavian, etc., features of people from other parts of the US seem to give them a slightly different look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.