Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Let's put it this way--Northerners flock in droves to the South and Carribean in the dead of winter, but you never see Southerners flock to the North in the dead of summer.
Retirees/tourists sure do! Its hard to tell where people are raised, naturally, but I invite you to come drive along I-55 in Illinois come May/June. Every other plate is from TX, FL, GA, SC, etc. OF course the majority of plates are from FL, but there is a great mixture of everything. Come drive through a Chicago parking garage in summer, the out of state plates outnumber ours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Quote:
Retirees/tourists sure do! Its hard to tell where people are raised, naturally, but I invite you to come drive along I-55 in Illinois come May/June. Every other plate is from TX, FL, GA, SC, etc. OF course the majority of plates are from FL, but there is a great mixture of everything. Come drive through a Chicago parking garage in summer, the out of state plates outnumber ours!
No they don't. Not even at McCormick or Roesemont. I may no longer live
in Chicago, but have friends and family that do. Your's is nothing
more than wishful thinking, delusion, flawed perception and yet
another over zealous attempt to defend a region you happed to reside in.

... having said that a lot of your posts still crack me up,
the pics are great, and links are pretty good too.

... back to topic, hot summers or cold winters.. hmm.. both suck.
If I had to pick one. I could take the dry heat, barely.
Winters are fine to as long as they stay above zero.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Northern Winters are far worst due to the many problems associated with them (e.g. colds, influenza, ice, snow, etc.).
Exactly. I agree. All the sickness that you typically get in winter. Yeah sure people get hot flashes and some mosquitoes carry sicknesses when its hot, but it is so much easier to get sick during winter. Like I said nobody just sits around in the summer time just drying up like a prune and absorb the heat, people go to beaches and theme parks. Look at all the people in daytona beach, miami beach, LA, Orlando, in the summer time. If it was too hot and miserable do you think these people would go to those places. Yeah without airconditionning people didnt go to the south much often but, there were still people there. There are so many other things you can do in summer to counter the heat. People have AC's. Look how hot a place like Africa is, and look how many people live there, now look at Antarctica. Now look at the top five largest states. CA, TX, ny, FL, il. self-explanatory.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Yawn.... What a ridiculous thing to argue about online. For some the North even in the winter is a better place and they can find plenty to do. That includes those not living by ski areas. And for others the South is a better place to live and they love the hot long days of Summer. Big deal.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:12 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Trust me, I'm from Milwaukee originally. I don't see vacation packages down here in Milwaukee for Northern getaways in the dead of summer like I did in Milwaukee for getaway packages to the South and the Carribean. Southerners will vacation in the North to see many of the great cities up there, but not for the climate.

But hey, warm winters aren't for everyone and many people do enjoy the extremely cold winters of the Midwest. I may not like the cold, but as a native Midwesterner I carry the memories of cold winters around like a badge of honor, as it was a part of my upbringing.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
As I get older, I find the cold a little intimidating; however I DO prefer the cold to the heat - I just don't like to BE cold. I can bundle up in cold weather, but I would get arrested if I took off the required amount of clothing in hot weather.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
You also got foreign cities like Singapore which gets extrememly hot and humid, but you see lots of people walking the streets doing everyday things.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
As long as there's a pool, iced drinks, and air conditioning, Summer in the South isn't that bad at all.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
I'd have to say that neither one is that fantastic. Since I live in a city that sees the extremes of both winter and summer, I would have to say that having your hands swelling to the verge of frostbite and being snowed in to the point where you can't even leave the house and the roads being completely iced over and being exposed to black ice is not much better than the unbearable heat and humidity of the summer where you sweat uncontrollably and everything you touch is hot enough to burn you and you get dehydrated every 10 minutes. So in my opinion, each one is as bad.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:52 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Trust me, I'm from Milwaukee originally. I don't see vacation packages down here in Milwaukee for Northern getaways in the dead of summer like I did in Milwaukee for getaway packages to the South and the Carribean. Southerners will vacation in the North to see many of the great cities up there, but not for the climate.

But hey, warm winters aren't for everyone and many people do enjoy the extremely cold winters of the Midwest. I may not like the cold, but as a native Midwesterner I carry the memories of cold winters around like a badge of honor, as it was a part of my upbringing.
The only place "up north" I have ever been to is NYC. That was in February and the temp was only in the 30's, which is no big deal to me since it gets that cold here in Alabama. I like our winters here though, it gets cold enough to feel like winter (upper 20's), but not so cold to where it's dangerous to go outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.