Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which was the best Gotham City?
New York City 62 44.60%
Chicago 62 44.60%
Both were equally good 14 10.07%
I'd like to see my city as the next Gotham City 6 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
How intense would this get if it was really something important??
Very true. I don't know why exactly I posted on this thread two or three times, I just thought it was a semi interesting subject.

It's useless to argue about this though. Nobody here is Christopher Nolan, and therefore it's up to him to choose which city he thinks is more Gotham. He chose Chicago. I have never heard any complaint from anyone who saw the Dark Knight (be they from New York or not) about him choosing Chicago as the place to set Gotham. In fact, I only heard praises.

Anyone who disagrees with him is free to take him on and remake the Dark Knight in New York though. Good luck on getting the rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,138 times
This is for my good pal Coldwhine.
I can't believe you actually typed "hmm". As a question. I mean, insofar as being a pretentious ******* is concerned, you've just upgraded yourself to reviled prick.

No crying on here, forum and big boy rules.

New York may have been some sort of alter-Gotham. But frankly, it ain't got the goods. Chicago, with its samples of heavy and repressive Gothic architecture, has been the setting for Batman three times now.

Well arent you quite the little Chicago troll. Altar-Gotham, No I think more the real Gotham. Chicago's just the generic, cheaper, more unlikable version. Sort of the And 1 of sneakers as opposed to NIKE. Samples of Gothic architecture? Please im gonna pull another muscle from laughing so hard. NY epitomizes everything Goth.

So if it looks like Chicago, and it smells like Chicago... New York can't hold the water.

Ok, if it looks generic, smells cheap and floats on water, I'd say it's Chicago style Gotham City. New York don't want the water, we'll take the wine.

Also, Chicago has capital corruption down like no other city on earth save Bangkok.

You really sound silly with this one. As opposed to about fifty or more nations, countries, terrorities etc that would make Chicago politics look like they come straight from Mayberry.Dont bother with political arguments (Chicago aint got nothing on New Orleans, Detroit, and many other cities just in the US alone.) you lost me at pretentious *******

Just a piece of friendly advice, we try to act like grown ups on here, I understand it is difficult to some. However, this is a big boy site. Can you say Anger Management.

Last edited by SlickRick1; 12-21-2008 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 10:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Lets close the thread, Angel says its all been over analyzed now. I guess you dont like hearing a different opinion. You might want to go to another site then.

Secondly, werent you the one cheerleading for your boy and his page full of opinions on why Chicago makes for a better Gotham?

I guess it's only comfortable to hear similar opinions of yourself, when others disagree, it gets a little difficult to handle?
The post that I quoted you on was not the first time I heard an opinion different from mine. This is really not a big deal and only a matter of opinion, but I can tell you're starting to get offended, or at least upset.

And city data is no where near being a "big boy" site.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The post that I quoted you on was not the first time I heard an opinion different from mine. This is really not a big deal and only a matter of opinion, but I can tell you're starting to get offended, or at least upset.

And city data is no where near being a "big boy" site.

I hate to admit it, but your right about that. Let's agree to disagree and call it a night.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:52 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
New York may have been some sort of alter-Gotham. But frankly, it ain't got the goods. Chicago, with its samples of heavy and repressive Gothic architecture, has been the setting for Batman three times now.
Look, I love Chicago to death, but what you're saying isn completely ridiculous. NYC has probably more Gothic architecture than any city in the Western Hemisphere. Some examples...

570 Lexington Avenue...
From nyc-architecture.com

American Radiator Building...
From nyc-architecture.com

St. John the Divine...
From The Cathedral Church of St John the Divine
http://wirednewyork.com/churches/st_john_divine/images/st_john_divine_statues_21apr02.jpg (broken link)

From Hope Academy Cathedral Campus at Weblo Real Estate

1st Presbyterian Church of New York
From Gothic Cathedral 1st Presperterian Church of New York on 5th and 11th PICT5439

Flatiron Building...
Taken by ice cali
From Flatiron @ Night w/ Moon on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

From Could be Liverpool - Wired New York Forum

Quote:
So if it looks like Chicago, and it smells like Chicago... New York can't hold the water.

Also, Chicago has capital corruption down like no other city on earth save Bangkok.
And corruption of the city has absolutely no meaning to the movie. It's a FAKE movie. It's pretend. And what do you mean by "New York can't hold the water?" What are you trying to say?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:03 AM

^^Did you not just read the article? Nolan talked about the corruption thing himself as a reason he chose Chicago.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:41 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
^^Did you not just read the article? Nolan talked about the corruption thing himself as a reason he chose Chicago.
I'm no Batman expert, I've never even watched a full Batman movie. But I read the 1st thing that says that the author of Batman intended it to be New York. Though I have heard that buildings in Chicago were spotted in the movie.

It's a fake movie. Both New York and Chicago have rights to call themselves the true Gotham City because both are included somehow in the movie.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 AM

Not in the newest Batman movies. New York is no where to be found. Read that second article. This is serious business.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
The history of Gotham is undeniably New York. New York has been referred to as "Gotham" since 1807, long before DC Comics came along. New York Was Gotham Before 'Batman' - New York Times

When the Batman comics and first tv shows came onto the scene, Gotham City was New York (although it was sometimes placed in New Jersey). Gotham City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the Dark Knight, however, Gotham City is without question Chicago. It was filmed there, the license plates look like Illinois plates, the "GPD" on police cars looks like Chicago's "CPD." Chicago landmarks are in plain sight. It's not at all ambiguous. Is Gotham permanently Chicago? IDK.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Futcha, I think the Flat Iron is actually Art Deco, and those were all amazing pics, but I can't rep you......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.