Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,348 times

Advertisements

hi,i'm new on here,i'm married,have 3 kids,hubby is becoming a pharmacist.we are thinking of moving to usa but have no idea where to go,we live in qld australia which is very humid,multicultural,30mins to the beach,30mins to the city,15mins to my local mall.i need info on places that are laid back not a total rat race,good schools,shopping,i'd love to be near water[beach,lake, river etc 30mins],weather is my concern,plus low crime,multi cultural,our budget if we do go is $200 -300/350k,we will be in our mid 30s.
thanks in advance for any help,
good onya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byzance View Post
hi,i'm new on here,i'm married,have 3 kids,hubby is becoming a pharmacist.we are thinking of moving to usa but have no idea where to go,we live in qld australia which is very humid,multicultural,30mins to the beach,30mins to the city,15mins to my local mall.i need info on places that are laid back not a total rat race,good schools,shopping,i'd love to be near water[beach,lake, river etc 30mins],weather is my concern,plus low crime,multi cultural,our budget if we do go is $200 -300/350k,we will be in our mid 30s.
thanks in advance for any help,
good onya
Welcome!
Sounds as if the southeastern U.S. near the Atlantic or Gulf Coasts would be best suited to you. Washington DC, Florida and New Orleans come to mind right away. Very humid and slower pace (except Washington).
The only problem I see is as a generalization areas in the U.S. that are multi-cultural tend to have higher crime rates. Those with lower crime rates tend to be less multi-cultural. This is only my opinion and a generalization at that. You can always live in a low-crime suburb of a city that has much culture.
It doesn't sound as if your budget should inhibit you much.
Another possibility would be the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington state) While the western half of the U.S. is mostly dry there is a narrow band running along the West coast from Northern California to Alaska that is very humid. I think Seattle is fairly multi-cultural. Not sure about Portland, Oregon. These areas may also be a bit cooler than what you would want or be used to.
Hope this helps at least a little.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byzance View Post
weather is my concern
Can you elaborate a bit on this by explaining what weather you want to avoid? In other threads, people have mentioned wanting to avoid some combination of the following: hurricanes, tornadoes, excessive heat, humidity, constant overcast, snow, ice, earthquakes, floods, mudslides and bugs. There is no place in the US where you can avoid all of those. The question is which would you most like to avoid. For many of these, there are maps where you can view how frequently they occur or how likely they are to occur.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Millville NJ would be a good fit while still giving you great access to the beach and major cities.

Welcome to the Greater Millville Chamber of Commerce | Millville, NJ

Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,755 times
I would think about Atlanta, GA, San Antonio, Tx. You also might consider San Diego, CA, but real estate is really about twice as much while wages are the same.
Where you get a job will determine where you live. You need that to get a visa. Once you get here you can determine where you really want to live.
The smartest thing to do is to rent until you figure out where you want to be. You really need to have some time to experience the USA to see if you really appreciate it.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Connecticut suits every last one of your needs. I'd start looking there.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I think you first need to see if you can get work permit/visa before coming to the USA.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,831,199 times
Oh Weather you cant do anything about that in the US you have Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Blizzards, Hurricanes, but whatever I live in MA and the weather really isn,t that bad come on three months and that's it you cant deal with that whatever. I live in Stoughton MA about a 45 minute drive to any beach (1 hour from Cape) and 30 minutes form Boston and 1 hour to Providence. It's school system is great and there are two lakes in the town they are nice lakes there is hardly any crime in this town and the Town is a nice little size with a population of about 30,000. Your budget is perfect this town and there isn't that many jobs in Stoughton but then you have Boston. Overall great town weather is beautiful besides winter. We really don't get that much snow the last blizzard we had was the blizzard of 1978. Hope you like the advice- Boston14

Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,348 times
thanks for all the tips,husband is usa/aussie, i'm aussie,kids are both,for me,i'm worried about the cold[snow],in winter here in brissie it got down to 4c with 21c in the day.not going to buy straight away,just wanted an idea of where to look,we've also lived in perth which is dry hot desert heat,plus when i say diverse,i want family and friends from oz who come on holidays to be comfortable[maori and polynesian],good rugby players,lol.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:21 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
If your husband is a pharmacist: working for a temp agency is the best way to go. If I were you, I'd keep most of my things in storage & try living various places. Start with the most desirable place: pharmacists are in huge demand & get the best pay from temporary agencies.

If you try, for example, living in Silverton Oregon, he could commute to a wide variety of places near Portland. Same for Seattle.

If you want warmer weather, try California...

The USA is your oyster for a pharmacist! I can refer your husband to a relief service that I'm familiar with if you like. The owner of the service could very likely give you/your husband some excellent ideas on where to relocate to. Please direct message me if you're interested!

Kate

Kate, rx technician
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.