Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I don't know, when I think of Georgia, I think of Savannah and not Atlanta
Not Macon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I don't know, when I think of Georgia, I think of Savannah and not Atlanta
This statement strikes me as rather disingenuous.
And when I think of TX, I think of Lubbock, not Houston.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
I think of Tuna.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I think of Tuna.
LOL Happy New Year, John; did you have A Tuna Christmas?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
^Same to you, Lovin!

Absolutely! Went out to visit my favorite relative, Aunt Pearl. Highlight of the trip was a visit to the big new mall over in Lubbock.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 AM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
lol @ new yorkers baffled someone doesnt like their city...

just because you tell yourself your "on another level" doesnt mean its true...you are not the end all be all...that would be L.A

Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post

just because you tell yourself your "on another level" doesnt mean its true...you are not the end all be all...that would be L.A
Proudly sponsored by your local drive-by shooting.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I didn't say I think those other cities are better than Houston. I said they are more recognized as classic American cities. My initial posts began because a Houstoner was saying Dallas needs to get used to being Texas' "other" city. I don't think many people outside of Houston would necessarily agree with that. I definitely don't think that people see Houston as the fourth city or even a definite player in the second tier cities -- a maybe player perhaps.
omg! your still at it!

how about you just make one long post about everything negative about Houston and then be done with it. you will save yourself a lot of time from having to make post after post after post about why Houston is a 3rd tier city.

by the way, Dallas does not need your help defending it. from what i know from the people in Dallas, they have no problem defending themselves.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post

For the record, I'm not from New York, though I did grow up less than 2 hours from New York. However, I identified much more with Philadelphia growing up (a city I now know as an adult definitely has an inferiority complex to New York).

I've only been there once, but Los Angeles seemed alright to me. However, New York is 50% larger in metro area population and more than twice as large as LA in city population. It also is the center of business in the U.S. (actually North America) and the media center of the U.S. (not to be confused with being the movie-making capital of the U.S.). Arguably the biggest difference between New York and Los Angeles is NYC seems like a true city, both good and bad, while Los Angeles has much more of a suburban feel (something that is true of all cities that had much of their growth after cars became popular).

Los Angeles is genuinely a world city, but New York is still on a higher profile level above LA as a world city in most people's opinions.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Ok so I screwed up on the first poll, which is ok, you learn as you go and here is version 2.0 which I narrowed down to the top 10 including Atlanta by special request. You can also vote for multiple cities if you have a hard time choosing just one.

Once again which city do you generally see on C-D or even in person that the residents seem to be all uptight and defensive when you talk about some of the negative of their city. (For example: "There sure is a lot of crime here", Response: "No there isn't, if you don't like it, get outta here!", etc.)
Maybe not C-D relative, but I always ran into this with people from Philadelphia.

Furthermore, is there some law that says, if you are from Philly, you have to preface every third sentence with "I'm from Philly, and..."? A number of people I went to school with and worked with over the years felt compelled to say this whenever any old topic of discussion popped up. A great friend of mine used to do this all the time... before he moved back to Philly!

It was always the same thing. They were from Philly, and this is how they do things in Philly. They were from Philly, and this is what they ate for lunch in Philly. They were from Philly, and there was no traffic like Philly's. They were from Philly and this is what they say in Philly. They had been transferred to [wherever it was I was living] and they couldn't wait to get back to Philly. Philly, Philly, Philly. As if saying Philly added some sort of legitimacy to whatever it was they were trying to say.

To this day, I cringe when anyone says "I'm from Philly", expecting it to be a lesson in why being from Philly is relevant to all things. It rubs me the wrong way. I want to say "Yeah, well I'm from Chicago, and I don't give a flying [censored]!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.