Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 11:34 AM

673 posts, read 4,068,929 times

Advertisements

I was just curious what would you consider to the best affordable city in the nation?

I think Columbus, Ohio in my opinion is the best affordable city in the country. Its got an amazing number of dense neighborhoods for a midwestern city with tons of art galleries, restaurants and is just a very pleasent entertaining urban environment.

Pittsburgh I would say would be one of the best cities, but its not as affordable as alot of other cities especially on rents. I was just in Pittsburgh once but even though I didnt see much of the city I was just amazed by the neighborhoods and the amount of entertainment and cultural vibrancy it had. Also the weather is very moderate there which I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,461 times
Charlotte's still pretty affordable. You really get a lot for your $$.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was just curious what would you consider to the best affordable city in the nation?

I think Columbus, Ohio in my opinion is the best affordable city in the country. Its got an amazing number of dense neighborhoods for a midwestern city with tons of art galleries, restaurants and is just a very pleasent entertaining urban environment.

Pittsburgh I would say would be one of the best cities, but its not as affordable as alot of other cities especially on rents. I was just in Pittsburgh once but even though I didnt see much of the city I was just amazed by the neighborhoods and the amount of entertainment and cultural vibrancy it had. Also the weather is very moderate there which I like.
Well I would rethink the issue. You want culture.

So I might modify the issue and look at exactly the right house in a place like Zanesville, Bellaire, all of Monroe, Belmont, Jefferson or Columbiana counties Ohio or maybe even the fab Oil City, PA and just commute for my culture. Can have Columbus, yes very under rated spot for many things, Pittsburgh can have its moments. Maybe with the money saved can go south in the winter.

Just for the record, Pittsburgh is not in a moderate winter zone.

At least one very good dense, warm and deep pile coat is required.

Yeah, Columbus can function as the "Big City", usually I have a foggy idea of which direction to go, crime and threat level is managable, sane enough to bear for a few days.

Go for parking your body in a smaller city, town, area and taking the saved money and do some good for youself. A decent car is cheap enough to go get the culture. If she wants to come back to your pad, go for the Oil City 2015 experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.