Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I know it's a general question because there are lots of southern accents, but people generally agree which accents sound southern and which do not. It got me wondering, you would expect the strongest to be in the deep south, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. The Appalachians, for example, are more untouched by modern America. Anyway, depending on demographic characteristics, i think the accent is most pronounced in the following areas:

Parts of the Ohio river valley, like southern OH and northwest KY
Older speakers in the Virginia Piedmont
Most of southern West Virginia
Most rural areas of the Appalachians from Virginia
Mountainous Tennessee such as the Great Smokey Mountains
most of Alabama and Mississippi
southern Oklahoma, central Texas
rural Arkansas and northern Louisiana

The accent seems to be weakest in certain parts of Texas like Houston and Dallas, Atlanta, much of North Carolina, northern and coastal Virginia. Of course many areas never had a strong southern accent to begin with, like far south Texas, New Orleans or Florida.

Anyway this is from someone who's never even been to America, so maybe those who know first hand can add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know it's a general question because there are lots of southern accents, but people generally agree which accents sound southern and which do not. It got me wondering, you would expect the strongest to be in the deep south, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. The Appalachians, for example, are more untouched by modern America. Anyway, depending on demographic characteristics, i think the accent is most pronounced in the following areas:

The accent seems to be weakest in certain parts of Texas like Houston and Dallas, Atlanta, much of North Carolina, northern and coastal Virginia. Of course many areas never had a strong southern accent to begin with, like far south Texas, New Orleans or Florida.

Anyway this is from someone who's never even been to America, so maybe those who know first hand can add?
This is all relative. Because to one person a "strong " accent is not an accent at all to another.

And actually Coastal Virginia has one of the most distinctive Southern accents on the planet- Tidewater!

People from New Orleans have a very strange Southern accent that almost sounds Brooklyn-ese !

Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM

I wonder which city outside the south has the most people with southern accents? Of the major cities, some possibilities might be:

Washington, D.C.
Baltimore, MD
Cincinnati, OH
Evansville, IN
Santa Fe, NM
Bakersfield, CA
St. Louis, MO
Springfield, IL?

Some places like Wyoming might have a cowboy accent similar to Texan or something.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I wonder which city outside the south has the most people with southern accents? Of the major cities, some possibilities might be:

Washington, D.C.
Baltimore, MD
Cincinnati, OH
Evansville, IN
Santa Fe, NM
Bakersfield, CA
St. Louis, MO
Springfield, IL?

Some places like Wyoming might have a cowboy accent similar to Texan or something.
-DC had a very Tidewater (Southern) accent many years ago. Now its so transient, there really isnt any definitive accent there-Southern or otherwise. Radio Talk Show Host Diane Rehems has the old DC accent.

-Baltimore still has a weird combo of Northern/Southern Mid-Atlantic accent. The waitresses say "hun". Thats kinda cool

-Bakersfield, CA has a strong "Okie/Tex influence

-Cincinati and DC have sometimes been called "gateway to the South". I would say Cincinati would have a very slight Southern drawl in there

The rest I just dont know. St Louis and Springfield Ill, would have flat Midwestern twang.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:

The accents in many of these places are too different/distinct to generalize in one group. That's like saying which state has the most american accent.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
It all really depends who you get ahold of in a particular state. Everyone's accent varies, even if that person has been in their state all of their life.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The accents in many of these places are too different/distinct to generalize in one group. That's like saying which state has the most american accent.
Yes, the accents themselves vary a lot, but I think there is a degree of "southerness", or rather difference from gen Am.

It's also interesting the accent doesn't necessarily get stronger further in the deep south. I saw a program about the election in Ohio, and some of the rural folk in southern Ohio have an accent far less like standard American than most from Alabama or Louisiana.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, the accents themselves vary a lot, but I think there is a degree of "southerness", or rather difference from gen Am.

It's also interesting the accent doesn't necessarily get stronger further in the deep south. I saw a program about the election in Ohio, and some of the rural folk in southern Ohio have an accent far less like standard American than most from Alabama or Louisiana.
That is very true. Deep South doesnt always mean deeper the accent...

You must be speaking of the "drawl".

I am from Northern Virginia and I have been told I have a very strong drawl. But I have friends from Georgia and Alabama who have almost no drawl at all.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM

21 posts, read 75,306 times
I'd say the true epitome of a southern accent is Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas. Kentucky and Louisiana have their own unique accents.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
That is very true. Deep South doesnt always mean deeper the accent...

You must be speaking of the "drawl".

I am from Northern Virginia and I have been told I have a very strong drawl. But I have friends from Georgia and Alabama who have almost no drawl at all.
What do you think is the main factor dictating that? Rural vs Urban? Family upbringing? How many generations you've lived in a place? Socio-economics? Or simply a regional thing?

Btw I love most southern accents, more so than the boring standard American i hear on tv all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.